17, College not working. What should i do! UK

has159

Hi, 

I currently study IT at college at level 3 in the UK, although i'm finding it incredibly easy to the point where i hardly turn up because if i do i just sit there twiddling my thumbs half the time. 

I like to think i'm very good hardware (computing wise having built my own computer with experiance of troubleshooting and repairs as well as recovering my computer from a driver issue where during windows loading the computer crashes and restarts again.) and fairly skilled on the software side too (with experience on most of microsofts software (Office, windows etc) quite a fair few of 3rd party applications), although i have been applying for apprenticeships for around a year now and rarely hear back from any of them and when i do i never hear back after an interview.

I am currently in a position where i don't know what else to try anymore, a friend suggested asking around if anyone has computers that need repairs so i posted on Facebook about repairing laptops for cheap (as in just the cost of the screen of a laptop or other parts for simple repairs along those lines if no parts required i would repair it free of any charges.) just as something to pass the time and get some more experience, but no one took me up on it.

I feel applying for a job at this age in IT would be a waste of time since they want people with actual work experience.

So here i am posting on a forum about tech in the hopes someone has been in my position and managed to find a way out. 

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

i7 4790k 4.5 Ghz, XFX DD R9 290 until the Fury x2 release, 16 Gb HyperX fury, 850w G2, 128 Gb M.2 850 EVO, 250 Gb SATA 850 EVO, 2 Tb SSHD, Razer H440

Any tech shops around you?

work there for a while then get promoted :c

I tried that, i got rejected due to them not having a licence to hire people under 18.  thanks for the suggestion though :)

i7 4790k 4.5 Ghz, XFX DD R9 290 until the Fury x2 release, 16 Gb HyperX fury, 850w G2, 128 Gb M.2 850 EVO, 250 Gb SATA 850 EVO, 2 Tb SSHD, Razer H440

Don't overestimate your abilities. I'm not insinuating that you are not knowledgeable in the field, but there is always more to be acquired.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Don't overestimate your abilities. I'm not insinuating you are not knowledge in the field, but there is always knowledge to be acquired.

I understand that. i wasn't trying to say i know everything because of course i don't there is always more to learn. i am in my second year at college and through the first year they was always saying "it gets harder don't worry" but nothing has changed. 

Be a software designer, and you are only 17? Geez bro you have more times. 

Be a software designer. 

But how do i do this when no one will hire me?

But how do i do this when no one will hire me?

Do you have college degree? If you do then they have no problem hire someone that are intelligent and diligent. 

Do you have college degree? 

Well i am from the UK so college is a different thing and its approached differently. not many people have anything higher A levels where i live. so no, but i wouldn't be competing ageist people who do either.

Well i am from the UK so college is a different thing and its approached differently. not many people have anything higher A levels where i live. so no, but i wouldn't be competing ageist people who do either.

You don't have to compete other peoples(unless you want to show off) to get your college degree, but just try to get your college degree and high school diploma then any jobs or companies will lovely hire you. Also you just only 17 years old, so you pretty much have a lot of times to think. Just believe in your dream and never give up. 

You don't have to compete other peoples(unless you want to show off) to get your college degree, but just try to get your college degree and high school diploma then any jobs or companies will lovely hire you. Also you just only 17 years old, so you pretty much have a lot of times to think. Just believe in your dream and never give up. 

Well you kinda do because you get lots of people applying for jobs, so you kinda do have to compete with the other people apply you have to be better then them. also what i am studying now will be the eqivilant to a high school diploma but its so easy that i cant get motivated enough to get myself in. i know it sounds stupid but i have been told that i am suffering from depression as well and apparently that is a huge part of me not having the motivation to get in. so all its just not really working out especially with head of faculty and someone who is supposed to support me hating me for no reason. 

Hi Has,

The best piece of advice I can give you is that you have something that when you enter the workforce you won't have. Time.

Continue college, but do it armed with a netbook.

Why? You can use this time to learn some programming languages, although you may not want to pursue a career in dev-work it greatly helps you with troubleshooting/system infrastructure and other "hows" and "whys".

Use a relatively low powered netbook, this will stop you from paying games on it and will help keep you focused.

Don't install anything other than your IDE of choice either!

This way you can continue your studies but also work on some self-growth. Balance this with a part time job anywhere (grocery store/etc), this way you won't get bored of programming.
The future hiring manager you will have an interview with will be impressed with your dedication/organization and you will find you will have a lot more to chat about which is a key thiing for client to business communication (business relations is huge!).

Hope this helps mate

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Well you kinda do because you get lots of people applying for jobs, so you kinda do have to compete with the other people apply you have to be better then them.

That's false. If the company have space left for you then they will hire you as long you meet their requirements. Same as college, if you meet their requirements they will accept you only if there enough space left for you. 

Hi Has,

The best piece of advice I can give you is that you have something that when you enter the workforce you won't have. Time.

Continue college, but do it armed with a netbook.

Why? You can use this time to learn some programming languages, although you may not want to pursue a career in dev-work it greatly helps you with troubleshooting/system infrastructure and other "hows" and "whys".

Use a relatively low powered netbook, this will stop you from paying games on it and will help keep you focused.

Don't install anything other than your IDE of choice either!

This way you can continue your studies but also work on some self-growth. Balance this with a part time job anywhere (grocery store/etc), this way you won't get bored of programming.

The future hiring manager you will have an interview with will be impressed with your dedication/organization and you will find you will have a lot more to chat about which is a key thiing for client to business communication (business relations is huge!).

Hope this helps mate

That seems like a great idea. I might have to try that, if the tutor actually lets me use the notebook.

That's false. If the company have space left for you then they will hire you as long you meet their requirements. Same as college, if you meet their requirements they will accept you only if there enough space left for you. 

Then i guess the positions i applied for didn't have enough space.

That seems like a great idea. I might have to try that, if the tutor actually lets me use the notebook.

Then i guess the positions i applied for didn't have enough space.

What you want to be in the future? Computer troubleshooting probably going to be a rough time. So i probably suggest you looking somewhere between graphics designer, IT security, and software engineering. 

What you want to be in the future? Computer troubleshooting probably going to be a rough time. So i probably suggest you looking somewhere between graphics designer, IT security, and software engineering. 

Along the lines of an IT Engineer or technician.  

Along the lines of an IT Engineer or technician.  

That's not bad at all. But i suggest you give a shot on IT security as well because it kinda fun of play around with the malware that black hats developed. 

I understand that. i wasn't trying to say i know everything because of course i don't there is always more to learn. i am in my second year at college and through the first year they was always saying "it gets harder don't worry" but nothing has changed.

You're only in year 2. You're still in the "this is for idiots who don't know what they're doing" courses. Don't get discouraged so easily. In fact, you should be proud that you know all this. What you should be doing is getting the text books for next year/semester now and start going over them. If you can't, get the guides that go along with the textbooks as they are cheaper and often better written. Get ahead and stay ahead so you know what you're doing. You could even get a job tutoring at the college. I'm sure that would look amazing on an application.

"Worked as a tutor at X for IT (or whatever) for x number of years."

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

You're only in year 2. You're still in the "this is for idiots who don't know what they're doing" courses. Don't get discouraged so easily. In fact, you should be proud that you know all this. What you should be doing is getting the text books for next year/semester now and start going over them. If you can't, get the guides that go along with the textbooks as they are cheaper and often better written. Get ahead and stay ahead so you know what you're doing. You could even get a job tutoring at the college. I'm sure that would look amazing on an application.

"Worked as a tutor at X for IT (or whatever) for x number of years."

That's the thing. after year 2 of level 3 IT at college there is nothing that's when you go to university (which i don't plan to go to since i don't think you really need to for the role i am aiming for.

I went through a network operations as a Junior network admin then moved my way up with a high school diploma. You could possibly do that.

I went through a network operations as a Junior network admin then moved my way up with a high school diploma. You could possibly do that.

That's the sort of thing i have been applying for and haven't heard back from.

That's the thing. after year 2 of level 3 IT at college there is nothing that's when you go to university (which i don't plan to go to since i don't think you really need to for the role i am aiming for.

I don't know what you're applying for but I'm in school for Civil and Environmental Engineering and one very important thing to getting a job is having a good resume and having good interview skills and also try to get the most experience possible. 

I don't know what you're applying for but I'm in school for Civil and Environmental Engineering and one very important thing to getting a job is having a good resume and having good interview skills and also try to get the most experience possible. 

I like to think my resume is fairly good and i had a 2 week course on interview skills so i like to think i have that down to. as for experience i have tried loads of things to get some experience but no one will take me nothing seems to be good enough.

I like to think my resume is fairly good and i had a 2 week course on interview skills so i like to think i have that down to. as for experience i have tried loads of things to get some experience but no one will take me nothing seems to be good enough.

Then keep trying until you get one. People I know that have jobs or internships have had to apply to hundreds of them. The job market is competitive. 

Then keep trying until you get one. People I know that have jobs or internships have had to apply to hundreds of them. The job market is competitive. 

I understand that, That's where the other issue is.. there doesn't seem to be many IT internships (if they are what i think they are) out there.