[Update] Yet another "Hacking Group" threatening to ruin christmas fun

NovusBal

UPDATE

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/phantom-squad-threatens-week-long-xbox-live-psn-attack-christmas/

Phantom Squad is claiming that it temporarily took down PSN earlier today, but this has not yet been confirmed:

PSN #Offline

— PhantomSquad (@PhantomLair) December 18, 2015

The hackers are also threatening to DDoS reddit, asking follower to vote for their preferred target:

We was wondering we didnt send attacks but, We want to ask what You want off next.

— PhantomSquad (@PhantomLair) December 18, 2015

So it seems they successfully managed to hit Xbox Live with a DDoS during this week, and are using this as a grounds to threaten or have people realize that they are not kidding around, and have genuine intent to ruin everyone's fun with an entire week of DDoS during the christmas holidays!

Not only that, but they are also making threats to hit other sites such as Reddit, for whatever reason they are encouraging people on social media to "vote" for what they want hit. This is despicable.

Aren't these fantastic people.

Although after all this nonsense on social media outlets, the twitter account used which was Phantom Squad has been suspended, but unfortunately right away been replaced by the new account, PhantomLair.

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/hacking-group-ring-christmas/

the group plans to switch the servers offline for a week and ruin people’s excitement to play games during their time off. This really is pathetic, and illustrates how petty human beings can be. I’m not entirely convinced if the group can perform this hack as it might just be trolls engaging in attention seeking. Although, if any kind of mass outage occurred, both Microsoft and Sony have to answer questions about their investment in online security. Hopefully, this isn’t a sign of things to come and only shows how bitter some people are in the modern world. If you’re frustrated with society, trying to ruin other people’s lives to make your own self-image improve is a flawed line of thinking.

Looks like it's christmas, and what more to start the seasons than by threats from "Hacker Groups" to take down online services from different platforms, in this case PlayStation Network and Xbox Live.

Should we believe this? Well, in some situations we shouldn't, it is the internet after all, it doesn't guarantee this is going to happen.

This threat has come from phantom squad this time, with this tweet:

3PGfXrg.png

Well, as usual, let's hope that they don't do this, my personal opinion on this is what the common individuals should be, that these people shouldn't really be doing this, or attempting to ruin this for other people, especially at a time of the year when people have some time off work in order to relax and play a few titles.

Not only to that point, realistically, majority of this is just DDoS. Which is becoming so much easier for individuals to do.

What is everyone elses opinions? Remember that time PlayStation Network went down for a few months? Although that won't happen in this situation (I hope), this is still something that just shouldn't still be happening.

*Keep the console flame wars out of this thread please

Eh, I game on PC, unless they can manage to bring Steam, Origin or the entire internet down, I really don't care. And even there... Steam support Offline play anyway.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Its pretty shitty if they do it, but I still consider it somewhat funny that all those kids who get consoles won't be able to play, but maybe thats just me. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Why? Also Hacking Group (as used to compare in your title) are the cunts that design insane ransomware and NSA contracts, these little assholes are like Lizzard Squad. Actually these ones are probably the remnants of Lizzard Squad.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

well then... Sorry kidos. Go play outside (You probably need to xD)

These people are some jerks though...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don't care unless they hack Steam or osu!. If they hacked osu!, my life would be fucking over.

giphy.gif

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I mean as someone who plays xbox one, all the games i care about i have already gotten, so i can play them offline, in terms of the oh no, your going to attack xbox one, microsoft should be prepared for this, and if it goes down, then ill just boot up one of my 2 pcs and play something else.

Its a Championship not a Belt!

pff console peasants xD jkjk

it sucks but we cant really do anything about it

Just gonna leave this here 

<snip>

The topic was on PSN and XBL

Shipping sucks

Ya, its hard to be a Peasant these Days.  :P

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Bunch of pathetic arseholes, I can't wait to read about them being arrested.

EDIT: And here people seem to only care that this is happening to consoles, ignoring the fact that a massive client base is going to suffer, and a large company is going to suffer.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Why DDoS attacks are a thing utterly baffles me.

I get how they work. What I don't get is the rationale of basically stopping a huge company from being able to do any sort of business for days, if not weeks.

What are they doing that's pissing the attackers off? Because I can't understand it, frankly.

I mean as someone who plays xbox one, all the games i care about i have already gotten, so i can play them offline, in terms of the oh no, your going to attack xbox one, microsoft should be prepared for this, and if it goes down, then ill just boot up one of my 2 pcs and play something else.

Preparations and DDoS attacks go hand in hand like oil and vinegar.

They don't.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Just gonna leave this here 

CWKWDMkVAAAJ256.jpg

lizard squad brought steam down too last time after they did psn and xbox

but it was only down for a few hours though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Good thing  i use PC B)

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

(oh god , i never thought i would say this , but here i go ..)

Good thing we have origin and Uplay !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Correct, it was down for a very short time, but the steam community still went crazy. 

.....That includes me...

"THE DEAL ENDS IN 3 MINUTES C'MON LET ME F****** BUY IT!"

Steam mitigated the issues far more efficiently than Sony and Microcash.

@GSTARR I believe this holds some degree of relevance.  I feel bad, honestly.  For all the people who end up getting consoles and not taking the time to look at steam.  I know many people who do so.  You would think for the level of entertainment these companies are supposed to bring - they'd have better protocol and capability of dealing with these massive attacks.  Especially when they're announced so publicly.