AMD Launches FX 6330 Processor - But why?

Agent181

Source  Source 2

AMD-FX-6330-Processor.png

AMD has silently launched their latest FX-6000 series processor, the FX-6330 in mainland China. The latest chip comes exclusively to consumers in the APAC (Asian Pacific) market and is aimed at budget users who are using current generation AMD platforms. The processor is based on AMD’s 32nm Piledriver architecture and seen as a replacement to the FX-6300 processor which is sold at a similar price range as the latest offering.

AMD’s FX-6330 Black Edition Processor Available For Sale in Chinese Markets, Brand New, Silent Cooler 

AMD-FX-6330_CPUz.jpg

Um... what the hell amd, who decided this and why are you still using this old architecture :huh:  

but-why.gif

lol @ that TDP...higher than consumer i7 :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I like the box

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Just like the 370x, this is china only.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

What's wrong with a budget 6-core @4.2Jigahertz for $110USD?  Must be nice to be chinese and have the freedom to choose from more available options in your market.

The benches look okay, and it comes with a cooler that is worth a damn.  Looks pretty solid to me.

agreeing

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Manufacture the i7 with an 32nm process and it will use a LOT more power.

Also I think the engineering cost was low for this CPU as they reused old blocks. Also after some time you see how you can improve a CPU with some smal tweaks and that's what they did.

That's perfectly fine, IMHO.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Nice box though, destroys intel's design.

Amen to that, it's a right fucking eye sore!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Manufacture the i7 with an 32nm process and it will use a LOT more power.

Also I think the engineering cost was low for this CPU as they reused old blocks. Also after some time you see how you can improve a CPU with some smal tweaks and that's what they did.

That's perfectly fine, IMHO.

I7-2600 = 32nm lithography, 95w.

On top of that, TDP ≠ power usage.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

This is starting to get old AMD.  I know why they did the 9xxx series, and why they did the FX series.  The first was to cash in on OCing due to the 8320 holding a world record with the second cashing in on gimped Opterons.  The "E" versions were more energy efficient, but wtf?!  How do they have the money for all this engineering?!

They did the same with phenom x3 etc, it's just a better binned 6300 which is probably an 8xxx missing/faulty cores.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I7-2600 = 32nm lithography, 95w.

On top of that, TDP ≠ power usage.

Ok, but then we have to compare the benchmark to an i7-2600...

And I know that TDP is not directly the power usage, I can push my i7 easely bejond 100% tdp. But it's a quick and dirty number to compare.

We need a test with several very specific workloads to compare power draw. Do you know somebody who does this?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Ok, but then we have to compare the benchmark to an i7-2600...

And I know that TDP is not directly the power usage, I can push my i7 easely bejond 100% tdp. But it's a quick and dirty number to compare.

We need a test with several very specific workloads to compare power draw. Do you know somebody who does this?

Give me a 2600, a motherboard, and a multimeter, oh wait, you already have two of those. Go get yourself a multimeter, Sony Vegas, adobe premier, cinema 4D, a couple of games, and some files you need to compress. I've got all of those, but not the 2600, mobo, and multimeter.

It's not hard to run a couple of tests like that.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Give me a 2600, a motherboard, and a multimeter, oh wait, you already have two of those. Go get yourself a multimeter, Sony Vegas, adobe premier, cinema 4D, a couple of games, and some files you need to compress. I've got all of those, but not the 2600, mobo, and multimeter.

It's not hard to run a couple of tests like that.

Yes, but I need this information before I buy a product. So I need some kind of database. I assume you don't know any either?

Yes, but I need this information before I buy a product. So I need some kind of database. I assume you don't know any either?

A database of what? Take a 6300, Bench it in these scenarios, recording power usage per each test, take your 2600 and mobo, replace the 6300, and run the same tests while monitoring power usage.

Compare score/watt, done.

Spoiler

Compare score/watt, done.

Why score/watt on 2600 vs 6330?

demotivation.us_NOPE-I-dont-see-any-rese

Price/perf

i7 Hyperthreaded 4 core $278 MSRP(which is no longer available anyways) vs 6 core $110.  They're sufficently different where price/perf is the only meaningful metric.

Jeez guys, what's all the hate about? Can't they make some tuning to their current offering while they work on zen? It's not like this is delaying it any further... and complaining about using piledriver at this point is just silly, what did you expect when their next architecture hasn't even been presented yet?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3-4 years of longevity statistics gives them a basis for doing something like this. Board partner data has likely shown that 4.2 Ghz is the "longevity breaking point" on the 970 chipset boards, so they pre-clock it to 4.2 and let people get 990FX if they want more. Then they could be all like "you didn't read the manual lolol" when people get 970FX boards for any more.

I've seen some scary backsides of 970FX / 990FX motherboards. So much burnt colour, sometimes even traces of rainbow can be seen (the oily effect)

Friends don't let friends get any other overclocking boards than Sabertooths for AMD.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If it replaces the 6300, at the same price, and a higher clock speed, how can it be a bad thing ? AMD probably noticed that most, if not all, of their 6300 could be clocked higher than they were, so they have a product with more value at no cost to them.

they probably calculate the tdp differently with amd going with the max tdp while intel is going with the most common use case scenario tdp. i had a fx6300 and now i have an i7 4770 and even though the 4770 says it has lower tdp it gets 30 degrees celcius hotter with the same 212 evo cooler