Is it wrong to buy something and then return it just for review?

Jacktastic-Mofo

So I'm a starting out tech YouTuber (I know there are already tons, but this is something I very much so enjoy) and I was curious, is it wrong / illegal for me to go to a local store like BestBuy and lets say buy a GTX 950 for review and then go back a few days later and return it? Also if I did this too frequently do you think I'd get in trouble?

Thanks for any advice guys.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be going around to any of the three local Best Buys and getting stuff from them, I'll typically have 15 days to return them so I'll return everything a week after I get it.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

So I'm a starting out tech YouTuber (I know there are already tons, but this is something I very much so enjoy) and I was curious, is it wrong / illegal for me to go to a local store like BestBuy and lets say buy a GTX 950 for review and then go back a few days later and return it? Also if I did this too frequently do you think I'd get in trouble?

This is why you wait until the last few days of the return limit and always go to diffrent stores every time.

no

I do this all the time to diagnose hardware problems

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

they catch on pretty quick

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Do you bring it back to the same store?

yep

Do you bring it back to the same store?

Live in an area with multiple walmarts and best buys. That'd be ez to pull this off.

any idea how amazon is about this? like me buying then returning something frequently?

cost of shipping it isn't something you wouldn't get back

so I would only buy locally

cost of shipping it isn't something you wouldn't get back

so I would only buy locally

Kay, sounds easy enough- and my older sister would be down to drive me + she's an attractive girl so I doubt any of the guys at bestbuy would say no to her returning something.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

any idea how amazon is about this? like me buying then returning something frequently?

You have a lot more prevalent paper trail of you doing this via Amazon.

It's ethically grey, and stores will catch on if you go to the same store a bunch, but it's doable.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Kay, sounds easy enough- and my older sister would be down to drive me + she's an attractive girl so I doubt any of the guys at bestbuy would say no to her returning something.

you must post a pic now that you said shes hot :P

Amazon gets strict quick. I know this for a fact. (personal experience, not willing to go into details)

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

ya its kind of scummy

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Can confirm that retailers catch on pretty quick.

I say go for it. Just think of it this way. The company might not be getting direct money if you return it, but they get free advertisement. If you feel bad for the individual store you bought it from, give them a shoutout in the video. I'd like to see you do more videos. I watched the $150 build video, and your very good at youtube.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I would say it's not ok. It's not illegal as far as I know. But definitely not ethical. That being said it's entirely possible you will start having returns rejected.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Kinda scummy for small businesses since it could waste a lot of their time and potentially money, but for bigger stores like Walmart, who cares?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Kinda scummy for small businesses since it could waste a lot of their time and potentially money, but for bigger stores like Walmart, who cares?

Yeah, going to bestbuy for stuff like GPU's. and then wally world for full PC's and then just gonna take the CPU's out to benchmark.

You really shouldn't post pictures of ANYONE without their explicit permission. I honestly wouldn't have posted those pictures at all if I were you, but that's just me.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Wow pimping your older sister to a ring of BestBuy customer service employees, with the intent to increase the popularity of your upcoming YouTube channel, that's a new one.