My Pc freezes and it is becoming more frequent. please help

My pc is freezing randomly. The only times it freezes every time are on certain websites like hbogo.com or speedtest.net. Now these freezes i originally chalked up to my overclock being a bit too much for the cpu (i overclocked from 3.1 to 4.2 ghz nothing crazy but the chip is from 2011) only problem is i underclocked and still it froze just as much. i cannot find the problem and i don't want to pay best buy or some other chain to rape my beautiful pc, so this is my plea to my master race bretheran. Here is the info from my previous thread on tomshardware, which unfortunately also had a predecessor." i will start by stating i am running windows 8.1 with suggested updates turned off. i have another thread that i tried to get help with this issue and haven't gotten much response. here is the link http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2874661/freezes-... and ill go ahead and briefly describe my problem again. Essentially everything freezes and after i reboot the system i check the windows event logs and nothing seems to show up, in fact last night i noticed a gap in the time stamps of the event logs which im assuming was the time of the freeze and me rebooting my system. i originally thought it was my fx 8120 cpu but on the other thread several people said the cpu wouldnt cause that and my lowering my clock speed did not affect the frequency of the freezes nor would i hear my fans speed up as if there were heat. the freezes are becoming more frequent and are now interrupting my gameplay in addition to my web surfing (poor me right). any help would be greatly appreciated and i apologize for not having any better information to put up front but im more than willing to work towards my own solution if possible." now the link i posted in that thread is also valid and has pictures and more detail about the issue.

Hi,

First, we need to know what already has been tried.

• Did you run the CPU on stock settings? 
  • Did you perform a memtest?
  • Does the system crash when booting a live CD? (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Whatever-Linux-Distro)
  • Have you changed any (however insignificant) hardware components or peripherals?

Regards

Edit: As Regis mentioned, a fresh installation of Windows might fix the problem. (That is why I asked if the crash occurs when running a non-windows live-cd).

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

Do a fresh install of windows maybe. This will help. https://ninite.com/

Ninite will come in handy indeed! +1

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

Ninite will come in handy indeed! +1

It's awesome. I was using my pc 30 minutes after I first turned it on after building it. 

Intel 4690K 4.5 GTX 970 Strix ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 LGA 1150 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB NZXT Black/Red Kingston 240GB SSD && Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3TB HDD Corsair H60 Corsair Builder 500W

PCPartPicker

Do a memtest as the other dude suggested. Also run malwarebytes and your anti virus. Check yr ram usage too. And if all fails, reinstall windows.  

Do a memtest as the other dude suggested. Also run malwarebytes and your anti virus. Check yr ram usage too. And if all fails, reinstall windows.  

That

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

If it's getting more frequent, it might be your PSU failing. It might be failing to deliver constant voltage to the CPU resulting in freezes (essentially bluescreens) but that's just a theory. The only way to check it is to plug in another PSU and check if it freezes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

okay so power supply was an upgrade as stated in the other thread, i originally had a 500w (unknown brand and rating) to a 750w gold rate evga psu. all other hardware is the same as the pevious build. i doubt it is the psu but at this point im open to anything. i did a fresh install of windows two days ago because a friend of mine suggested the same thing, still freezes. i have tried the settings on mobo default and still hbo and speedtest never fail to freeze it. ive checked my wifi adapter, even tried it wired. at this point im going to try swapping the old psu back in to finally negate the option of the psu but thats alot of wire switching so i wanted to see other possibilities first.

Since you are able to reproduce the crash by accessing a website I am certainly sure, that it is not a hardware issue. But you can never now unless you try it. Before switching PSUs I would still suggest booting a Live-CD and trying to reproduce the issue. If it persists, it is most likely a hardware issue. If not, it seems to be a driver issue with windows.

Regards

Since you are able to reproduce the crash by accessing a website I am certainly sure, that it is not a hardware issue. But you can never now unless you try it. Before switching PSUs I would still suggest booting a Live-CD and trying to reproduce the issue. If it persists, it is most likely a hardware issue. If not, it seems to be a driver issue with windows.

Regards

live cd? by this do you mean the windows disk? when i did a fresh install i wiped both my hdd and my ssd (ssd in the windows set up) but i installed windows 8 from my original install disk that came with my pc and i entered my key and updated from build 6900 up to 8.1 (i believe to be current). if im mistaken then i would appreciate you clearing it up, but i have not seen the computer freeze during windows installation.

live cd? by this do you mean the windows disk? when i did a fresh install i wiped both my hdd and my ssd (ssd in the windows set up) but i installed windows 8 from my original install disk that came with my pc and i entered my key and updated from build 6900 up to 8.1 (i believe to be current). if im mistaken then i would appreciate you clearing it up, but i have not seen the computer freeze during windows installation.

Not necessarily. A Live-CD is basically a CD (or USB-Drive) that contains a complete operating system. Almost all Linux distributions are able to do this by simply burning the iso to a CD. With this, you can boot another operating system that is not installed onto your local harddrive and thus rule out issues that come with Windows drivers.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily. A Live-CD is basically a CD (or USB-Drive) that contains a complete operating system. Almost all Linux distributions are able to do this by simply burning the iso to a CD. With this, you can boot another operating system that is not installed onto your local harddrive and thus rule out issues that come with Windows drivers.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

finally got around to running ubuntu on it and i could not get it to freeze. i didn't exactly spend hours as i would be regularly on windows but it worked perfectly fine

i hate to bump but are there any other suggested solutions? becuase im assuming its not a hardware issue.

Install windows 10 maybe that will fix your proplem

i respect your suggestion, but i personally do not like windows 10.