That fancy chair in your living room... err, you'll need a license to photograph it

post-941-0-62287500-1449831791.jpg

Some mental institution of copyright abuses had just come with its latest brain fart idea of how to milk even more cash out of the thin air.

Changes to UK copyright law will soon mean that you may need to take out a licence to photograph classic designer objects even if you own them. That's the result of the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013, which extends the copyright of artistic objects like designer chairs from 25 years after they were first marketed, to 70 years after the creator's death. In most cases that will be well over a hundred years after the object was designed. During that period, taking a photo of the item will often require a licence from the copyright owner, regardless of who owns the particular object in question.

The UK government is holding a consultation into when this change should enter into force: after a six-month, three-year, or five-year transitional period. The Digital Reader quotes an article in The Bookseller that puts the starting date as October 2016, but without citing its source. In any case, the change is definitely coming, and quite soon.

As with the recent announcement that it is once again illegal to make private copies of music you own, it is unlikely that the public will pay much attention to this latest example of copyright being completely out of touch with how people actually use digital technology. But for professionals, the consequences will be serious, and not so easily ignored.

Photographers, for example, will need to worry about whether any of the objects in a picture they are taking are covered by copyright, in which case it may be necessary to obtain a licence to include them in the photo. Judging by its comments in the document accompanying the consultation on this issue, the UK government is not very sympathetic to the plight of photographers: "The Government considers that photographers and image libraries already bear costs for time and administration when assessing whether they need to obtain clearance when photographing other artistic works such as sculptures or paintings." In other words, tough.

Apparently, too many people out there make no difference between a tangible object and representations of a tangible object. How that became a copyright issue?

Source: http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/12/you-may-soon-need-a-licence-to-take-photos-of-that-classic-designer-chair-you-bought/

UK, copyright law.

Two tags that mean immediately ignore the article because it's retarded.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I wonder when the time will come you will need to pay royals to breath oxygen

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah...

Much like how I can just go take a stroll in the local furniture shop and figure out the furniture so that I can build them later...

I wonder when the time will come you will need to pay royals to breath oxygen

Soon.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I wonder who has the copyright of real life

Better pay dem royalties to God whenever you post a selfie

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So if I own the rights to a designer chair, put it in the parlament and deny granting right to use, can i effectively make the parlament not available for public video broadcast while it is there?

I'm sure parliament can pay off the licensing fees...

unless the licensing fee per minute of footage is the national annual budget...

COPYRIGHT - the clue is in the title.

You have to make an actual copy of the item, something that is functional and is a direct copy of the original. A picture is a representation, not a copy and therefore taking a picture is not breaching copyright.

The second this law makes it to court and is actually tested it will be repealed so fast it'll make the expansion of the universe look like entropy at absolute zero.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well this is just dumb. Are they so afraid of 3D printing they'll do shit like this?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Well this is just dumb. Are they so afraid of 3D printing they'll do shit like this?

I don't think they even considered 3D printing. Hurray for 5 more years of Cameron. Good show... Good show...

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Another UK law that they have no way of enforcing. This will go nowhere very fast.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I've being seeing more and more odd stories out of the UK, who the hell is writing these laws

typewriter-monkey-1.jpg

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I am going to copyright the idea of life, if you are a living creature you owe me $0.01 per day you are alive. It is not a big royalty fee so you all should just pay up.

Pls no maths i swear I will not make much

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Better pay dem royalties to God whenever you post a selfie

which one

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

So if I own the rights to a designer chair, put it in the parliament and deny granting right to use, can i effectively make the parliament not available for public video broadcast while it is there?

I mean... sure... if for some reason they didn't just chuck your designer chair into the garbage? It's not like you can put it there without their permission or knowledge lol.

But in theory, if you somehow managed to get this hypothetical chair into parliament, and somehow convinced them to keep it there, then sure, I suppose you could extort them for copyright royalties.

But that's kind of ridiculous. The moment you say "Hey, you can't broadcast that video without paying because I own the copyright to that chair over there", they'll just be like "Okay then *picks up chair - chucks out window* what were you saying again?"

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Our government is continuously making it very apparent just how out of touch they are in regards to technology and the internet. 

and pretty much everything else. 

This fix is easy. Stop voting in right wingers.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Nest I'll have to pay money to look at the water

Kek

I feel like th UK is always putting dumb fucking copyrights on things they cant control, like that thing with the music and burning it to CD's and whatnot....

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

people bang on about the uk but....

if you look at it .....

well you have to think......

who the fuck am i trying to kid this is retarded.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017