Will a Amd Athlon x4 860k Bottle neck a R9 280x?

Hi i'm building my first desktop, its very budgeted and i barely got a r9 280x for $100 used, but i'm worried about the Athlon x4 860k bottle necking its power, i would upgrade to a fx 6300 but the price shot up and i have only under 10 days left to make a decision on what to buy. can anyone tell if the Athlon will bottle neck my gpu and if so, how bad? can i just over clock it and fix the bottle necking issue?

Yea, relatively bad actually. I've got an A8-5600k which seems pretty similar (obviously a bit slower) and a 280x, when the CPU is at 100% usage the GPU is at around 60% :/

It can bottleneck in some cases but most of its performance in that case should still be utilized. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are there any cpu's that about the same price that won't bottle neck it that bad, or if i want to upgrade will i just have to shell out the extra crash for a 6300?

Kyle did a build that had a 280X and 860k if I remember correctly, they seemed like a very capable pair that bounced back and forth from maxing out the CPU to maxing out the GPU going from benchmark to benchmark, the majority of the time the GPU was being fully utalized so it will be fine.

Are there any cpu's that about the same price that won't bottle neck it that bad, or if i want to upgrade will i just have to shell out the extra crash for a 6300?

If you're just gaming, I'd say an i3 4150 as it pairs with the 280x absolutely perfectly, really.

If you need a bit of editing on the side, yeah a 6300 is good.

• 9 months later...
On 12/10/2015 at 9:08 PM, Lolzious said:

Yea, relatively bad actually. I've got an A8-5600k which seems pretty similar (obviously a bit slower) and a 280x, when the CPU is at 100% usage the GPU is at around 60% :/

Athlon does fine with the R9 280x...

| CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 1080 Strix 8G | Mobo: Asus B350-F Strix Gaming | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB | Cooler: NZXT Kracken x62 | Storage: Two 1TB WD HDD, One Samsung 960 EVO 512GB SSD M.2 | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black) | Fans: 4x NZXT AER Fans with Hue+ |