National Crime Agency lists Cybercrime "Warning Signs" for parents

SometimesStuff

Source 1: http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/765-campaign-targets-uk-s-youngest-cyber-criminals

Source 2: http://oomlout.co.uk/blogs/news/79367233-national-crime-agency-lists-daft-cyber-crime-warning-signs

Source 3: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/09/nca_teen_hackers_parents_campaign/

Many of you are likely to fall into the categories the NCA has listed as potential cybercriminals, so hand yourself in right away!

According to the National Crime Agency, the following questions if answered in the positive raise the possibility that "a young person is at risk of getting involved in cyber crime:"

• Is your child spending all of their time online?
  • Are they interested in coding? Do they have independent learning material on computing?
  • Do they have irregular sleeping patterns?
  • Do they get an income from their online activities, do you know why and how?
  • Are they resistant when asked what they do online?
  • Do they use the full data allowance on the home broadband?
  • Have they become more socially isolated?

According to Oomlout, the document says that a childs interest should be steered in a positive direction, but it doesn't do it in the right way, here's the quote.

While the document goes on to list ways a child's interest in technology topics can be steered in a positive direction, many older makers thinking back to their youth will likely be able to tick the majority of the 'warning sign' boxes - we know we can. While the NCA's aim of helping to curb the growing trend for ne'er-do-wells to use technology for ill is to be lauded, we can't help but feel this approach is badly thought out - and, worse, could lead to negative interactions which turns the next Steve Wozniak or Tim Berners-Lee off a career in technology for good.

One of the other things the NCA said, was that this is aimed at parents of 12-15 year old boys, because they are clearly the only ones who could possibly commit cybercrime, or use a computer. So I guess, I have always been safe from the NCAs prying eyes and scaremongering!

And if you want to cringe, YouTube video:

This is a terrible way to go about the whole issue, the tactics used and the list made are just going to make parents who don't understand anything about tech/computing scared without reason. I wouldn't have wanted my mum or dad coming into my room constantly asking "What are you doing? What are you doing?" which is what this seems to aim to want to promote. I'm not comfortable with any campaign which goes about getting their point across in this way.

UPDATE:

The NCA have made a change to their list on their website, possibly after getting some negative remarks, here is what it now states:

• Are they resistant when asked what they do online?
  • Do they get an income from their online activities, do you know why and how?
  • Is your child spending all of their time online?
  • Do they have irregular sleeping patterns?
  • Have they become more socially isolated?

Removed coding, learning material and data allowance from the list.

http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/crime-threats/cyber-crime/cyber-crime-preventing-young-people-from-getting-involved

Edited by SometimesStuff

lol this looks like a direct copy of the "is your son a hacker" article

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

If your kid is passionate about coding then they should be encouraged, not discouraged. There is a massive gap in the job market for competent coders and systems administrators (there are also a lot of incompetent ones:))

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I'm a dangerous hacker! 

Spooky...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

But it was actually written and produced by a government agency, that is the depressing part!

your tax dollars at work

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

This is to prevent young kids into becoming what's known as a script kiddy. Often script kiddies are the ones being arrested at a young age. This ruins their life, and they either become suicidal, or give up on everything else. The government does not want to deal with these people; however, real cyber criminals are often watched for a few years then recruited, or thrown in jail if they don't see any potential. I'd go into more details, but these articles are somewhat important for parents.

blackshades on

I found that video quite amusing. Especially when they awkwardly glanced at their son saying "he told us he robbed a bank". Message received though. I still have quite a bit to figure out about computers though before I can crash a server when losing a game.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Lol. We shoulda seen this coming guys. Geeks become more powerful in modern society over time. Everyone likes it at first when were just bringing them the miracle of computing and modern technology, but once we start doing things they don't like, its time to hunt us down.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

This is something special, the government bodies never cease to amaze me with how out of touch they are, someone clearly hasn't done their homework. 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

neat i'm a l33t_haxor gonna get you with my LOIC.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

This is to prevent young kids into becoming what's known as a script kiddy. Often script kiddies are the ones being arrested at a young age. This ruins their life, and they either become suicidal, or give up on everything else. The government does not want to deal with these people; however, real cyber criminals are often watched for a few years then recruited, or thrown in jail if they don't see any potential. I'd go into more details, but these articles are somewhat important for parents.

Unfortunately, this campaign doesn't present it in the right way at all, it's scaremongering and doesn't give parents any useful advice, how can a parent talk to their child about cybercrime if they don't have the information or knowledge on the subject? An IT teacher at a school is better equip to give warnings/advice if the school hired someone competent, a parent will just get worried and panic if they don't understand. Then you also have to trust that the child will tell the truth to their parents on what they are doing on the computer, they aren't going to say "Oh yeah, I just DDoSed a website ma." unless they are A+ Stupid.

The criteria listed is also a joke, completely useless, just scares and will probably mean that some kids are discouraged from going near a computer at home, or when they do, heavily supervised. It would be helpful to give parents useful information, not this...

1, 2, 5, and 7 are correct for me

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

According to this then I'm a Y0L0 SW$G 3l33t_H4X0R_M4ST3R ready to commit dem cyber crimes yo.

How about you let people with knowledge on the subject (like actual former hackers/cyber criminals turned good) have a talk about his huh? Instead of some businessmen or government people with red ties and no knowledge of the subject whatsoever. All this is going to create is panic under the parents with tech-savy kids and kids that do read this who are interested in learning to code or just general computer related things.

Also:

• Do they use the full data allowance on the home broadband?

Welcome to the 21st century, 'Murica. If a government-related party says this don't you think it's time for them to start looking, oh I don't know, EVERYWHERE ELSE ON THE PLANET WHERE DATA CAPS ON HOME BROADBAND INTERNET HAS BEEN GONE FOR 10 YEARS OR WAS NEVER THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Ye ole' train

Welcome to the 21st century, 'Murica. If a government-related party says this don't you think it's time for them to start looking, oh I don't know, EVERYWHERE ELSE ON THE PLANET WHERE DATA CAPS ON HOME BROADBAND INTERNET HAS BEEN GONE FOR 10 YEARS OR WAS NEVER THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

This was produced by the British Government, where there also is no datacap, but they had no idea what they were talking about.

• Is your child spending all of their time online? Check

Are they interested in coding? Do they have independent learning material on computing? Check

Do they have irregular sleeping patterns? Kind of

Do they get an income from their online activities, do you know why and how? I wish

Are they resistant when asked what they do online? Who isn't?

Do they use the full data allowance on the home broadband? No usage cap FTW

Have they become more socially isolated? Yep.

Looks like I am a cyber criminal. These guys are just hitting out at the 'nerds' it seems.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Come on guys! We shouldn't just tolerate this! Us techies are stronger than this! We've made too many compromises; too many retreats. They take our privacy, and we fall back! They censor the internet, and we fall back! Now they want to take us out at the source? NO!!! The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

The video is so annoying... "oh yeah, my kid fits all stereotypes, I have no idea what he's doing so I assume it's genious work, and he also told me he robs banks". Makes me want to punch the parents.

-edit-

in the light of a more thorough read of the nca post, I feel it's not as bad as it appeared from the article. The nca does aparently realize these signs are not necessarily a clear indicator of a cyber criminal and clearly say so in their website.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Unfortunately, this campaign doesn't present it in the right way at all, it's scaremongering and doesn't give parents any useful advice, how can a parent talk to their child about cybercrime if they don't have the information or knowledge on the subject? An IT teacher at a school is better equip to give warnings/advice if the school hired someone competent, a parent will just get worried and panic if they don't understand. Then you also have to trust that the child will tell the truth to their parents on what they are doing on the computer, they aren't going to say "Oh yeah, I just DDoSed a website ma." unless they are A+ Stupid.

The criteria listed is also a joke, completely useless, just scares and will probably mean that some kids are discouraged from going near a computer at home, or when they do, heavily supervised. It would be helpful to give parents useful information, not this...

I haven't read the article yet, but I will after work. I wrote a long essay and presented it to my English 11 class on the topic of internet dangers/underground groups including ISIS. Scared the poop out of everyone, but that translated into awareness. Once again I have yet to read the articles... so I guess I can't comment on them yet!

I'm scared to watch the video

blackshades on

I'm not going to comment on the video or the articles. But I do agree with some of you people that this is scaremongering. It's not okay to do that. And some of you pointed out that this is being delivered in the wrong way, which discourages most coders who can land a job as a system admin or a lead programmer in a game development company, or wherever they choose.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

They conducted well planned serveys and made a well thought out and educated choice based on this completely objective survey. Don't believe me, here's the actual survey.

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=why+teens+shouldnt+use+computers&oq=why+teens+shouldnt+use+computers&aqs=chrome..69i57.15179j0j4&client=ms-android-om-lge&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#q=computer+games+cause+violence+in+kids

your tax dollars hard at work

- snip-

They have updated their list, coding, independent material and data allowance, I have added an update at the bottom of the opening post.