AMD Bristol Ridge APU Family For the AM4 and FP4(laptop) Platforms Detailed - launching in the first half of 2016

Mr_Troll

AMD’s Bristol Ridge Headed To AM4 and FP4 Platforms – Entire Platform and SKU Details Revealed

The news comes a few days after it was rumoured that AMD might be gearing for an early launch of their AM4 platform (motherboards) since Zen based Summit Ridge processors are scheduled for a launch in late 2016. In the meantime, AMD has plans to launch their entire Bristol Ridge family first for the AM4 and FP4 platforms. It makes sense since users will have a taste of what AMD’s latest enthusiast and consumer platform would offer to them and this will be a good update path as AM4 platform supports both CPUs and APUs based on the latest chip architectures from AMD. The Bristol Ridge APUs are expected to launch in the first half of 2016 which will make a lot of sense and we will see a range of AM4 motherboards for the new processors that will integrate a wide I/O capabilities, DDR4 memory support and a broad range of updates over the aged AM3+ platform.

The slides reveal that AMD’s Bristol Ridge APU family is known as the AMD Family 15h Models 65h-6Fh (BKDG and Electrical Datasheet). The Bristol Ridge APU family is split into mobility and desktop parts. The mobile parts are supported by the FP4 platform which enables support for both DDR4 and DDR3 family making this the first mobile platform from Intel to support DDR4 memory standard. The DDR3 platform for mobility chips is going to be 100% compatible to Carrizo DDR4 FP4 platforms and FP4 itself will support current generation Carrizo and next generation Bristol Ridge and Stoney Ridge APUs. Stoney Ridge is the replacement for Carrizo-L offering the low power SKUs while Bristol Ridge for mobile will be the performance tuned offering replacing Carrizo.

AMD-Bristol-Ridge-APU-Family_Features-63

On the desktop front, we will have AM4 platform supporting the x86 Excavator based Bristol Ridge APUs for mainstream desktop systems and also the Zen based Summit Ridge processors for enthusiast grade desktop systems. A quick glance at the technical features of both Carrizo and Bristol Ridge reveal no differences from both APU families. Both are based on a 3rd generation GCN architecture (GCN 1.2) which is the same version incorporated on the Fiji and Tonga GPUs. Both APU families have full support for DirectX 12, provide great audio, UVD, VCD, DCE features and support Dual Graphics, Panel Self Refresh, Dynamic Bezel Adjust along with the ability to run up to 3 simultaneous displays. Bristol Ridge APUs will feature up to four x86 Excavator cores with 2 MB of shared L2 cache. They will have support for HSA 1.0 and the latest DDR4 memory standard. The Excavator core ensures better IPC (Instruction per clock) versus previous generation cores

Previously, AMD have priced their desktop APUs under the $200 range and it is expected to remain there. As for AM4 boards, it is highly likely that AMD will have a few budget options launched for Bristol Ridge APUs while the more performance focused parts will be set for launch with the FX series in Q4 2016.

AMD Bristol Ridge Desktop (AM4) APUs:

The Bristol Ridge AM4 APU family will contain 8 SKUs, there’s no name defined for them but they will be using a new branding scheme, most probably A-Series 9000 as was revealed in a previous leak. There are seven SKUs that are based on a quad core design while one chip retains a dual core design. Clock speeds range from 2.5 to 3.6 GHz base and 2.8 to 4.0 GHz boost clocks across the processors listed. The graphics chips which will range from 256/384/512 stream processors (Radeon R7/R5/R3) will come with clock speeds ranging from 900 to 948 MHz. All chips will support DDR4 memory clocked at 2400 MHz (native speeds). Surprisngly, there are also few models without the graphics units which means they will either be Athlon or FX branded chips. The TDPs will be adjusted from 35 to 65W.

AMD Bristol Ridge Mobility (FP4) APUs:

The mobility lineup is also similar to the desktop lineup and is made up of seven SKUs, 6 of them are quad core designs while one is a dual core design. The maximum base and boost clock speeds are 3.0 GHz and 3.7 GHz on the top end chip and the TDPs range from 15W to 35W. The Stoney Ridge family will have lower TDPs than the mainstream family as they are geared for low-power devices. All chips feature a graphics processing units that comes in 8/6/4 CU dies and are clocked in the range of 600 up to 900 MHz

AMD-Bristol-Ridge-APU-Family_Desktop-AM4

So we can test how good the am4  platform is before the zen launch?. Great. But i dont expect these APUs to be superpowerfull.

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-bristol-ridge-apu-am4-desktop-fp4-mobility/

https://benchlife.info/amd-will-rename-excavator-to-bristol-ridge-12082015/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

The 4 core roof must be breached demolished

Hence I don't give a single shit about this.

I will buy the first 6-core consumer priced CPU or APU ever, even if it sucks.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I will buy the first 6-core consumer priced CPU ever, even if it sucks.

Phenom II X6 ?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Phenom II X6 ?

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

the FP4 platform which enables support for both DDR4 and DDR3 family making this the first mobile platform from Intel to support DDR4 memory standard.

New editors needed at WCCF.

OT: Interesting info. I wonder at the costs, because I would seriously consider grabbing the analog to my current mobo in AM4 and a BR APU to tide me over until Zen if they are not too highly priced.

It will be great to see new mobos before Zen but Zen sure is far from mobos =/

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

dat moment when a phenom II x6 outperforms an fx 6300  :ph34r:

cause FX 6300 is a Phenom II X3 with Micro Core Clusters rather than cores :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

am i the only one that saw that the new apus will be using the excavator cores 

x86 Excavator based Bristol Ridge APUs

so i dont see how we will see how much better the am4 platform is compared to am3/+ until zen comes out, the only improvement the apus will have is ddr4 support and  thats all

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Will Bristol Ridge APUs use the same mobo as Zen?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I will buy the first 6-core consumer priced CPU or APU ever, even if it sucks.

Well they're pushing the idea of offloading work from the CPU to the GPU, hence the slower CPU. More CPUs cores = less die space for GPU cores.

While its obviously not really a thing yet so more CPU cores are desirable.. it's a bit counterproductive from a design standpoint so I can see why AMD are sticking with the 4 cores.

As for the last part, the Phenom II X6 and FX6300 have both been around for some time :P

am i the only one that saw that the new apus will be using the excavator cores 

so i dont see how we will see how much better the am4 platform is compared to am3/+ until zen comes out, the only improvement the apus will have is ddr4 support and  thats all

Excavator will have a 10-20% increase in IPC compared to Steamroller, it'll make sense in a media center or a small PC in front of a TV.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Excavator will have a 10-20% increase in IPC compared to Steamroller, it'll make sense in a media center or a small PC in front of a TV.

yeah but excavator has already been out for a while we already know how it performs theres nothing that tells us how much better am4 is compared to am3/+

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

yeah but excavator has already been out for a while we already know how it performs

Do you honestly expect a mobile chip to perform exactly the same as a desktop equivalent.

Do you honestly expect a mobile chip to perform exactly the same as a desktop equivalent.

it doesn't change that it wont tell us how much better am4 is compared to am3/+

Spoiler

it doesn't change that it wont tell us how much better am4 is compared to am3/+

It will give us an idea of the capabilities of the chipset, and what performance to expect from Zen.

Given comparisons of the 4980HQ to the 4790, yes for burst workloads.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It will give us an idea of the capabilities of the chipset, and what performance to expect from Zen.

except it wont because a chipset has nothing to do with the performance of the architecture of the core

Spoiler

Given comparisons of the 4980HQ to the 4790, yes for burst workloads.

AMD doesn't have an insanely powerful mobile chip like that, and seeing as AMD released Carizzo later as a mobile chip first I expect they want to finalize the desktop equivalent, I expect there to be a noticeable performance difference between mobile and desktop.

except it wont because a chipset has nothing to do with the performance of the architecture of the core

AMD has stated that Zen will have a 40% IPC increase over Excavator, the desktop portion of Carizzo will provide an actual IPC to increase 40% by.

AMD has stated that Zen will have a 40% IPC increase over Excavator, the desktop portion of Carizzo will provide an actual IPC to increase 40% by.

Excavator is Excavator. It has the same IPC no matter what. I don't understand what exactly it is you expect to change. The Microarchitecture is the same for desktop and mobile parts for both Intel and AMD unless you go into Atom vs. Core i or Cat vs. Construction

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Excavator is Excavator. It has the same IPC no matter what. I don't understand what exactly it is you expect to change. The Microarchitecture is the same for desktop and mobile parts for both Intel and AMD unless you go into Atom vs. Core i or Cat vs. Construction

I expect they might make minor performance improvements to the architecture, they might not, it's just what I expect to happen.

I expect they might make minor performance improvements to the architecture, they might not, it's just what I expect to happen.

Why? They never have before. Performance will improve due to no thermal throttling, but IPC will remain constant. IPC is one piece of the performance equation.

thats the architecture not the chipset i am talking about the damn chipset i never said anything about the architecture(zen) not performing any better, i said that there is nothing that proves that am4 is better then am3/+ for all we know am3/+ could be better minus the support for ddr4 that am4 has

Spoiler