Lenovo Y510P eGPU

SpeederT12

Hey guys,

I have a Lenovo Y510P with a single 755m gpu. Now, the cpu is quite powerful, but the gpu is not. AT ALL. So, is there any way to hook an eGPU to the laptop? I know ultrabay is doable but not the best, so mini-pci-e probably is the way.

Any advice?

• CPU
    Intel Core I5 6600k @ 4.4ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3666mhz
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 @ 2100mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed Blackout edition
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • NEW Seagate Skyhawk 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Generic Dell Speakers and Razer Kraken USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

you'd need access some to a pcie slot, all of the current laptops that do this are designed with it in mind (Special connectors that act as PCIE slots, its unlikely you'll be able to 

the following videos should shed some light on how you could go about attaching a dedicated gpu you your laptop

In most of the videos they use the pci-e slot used by the wifi card for the gpu. I'm guessing its 4x, so performance may suffer but its worth a try.

Also, cant you add another gpu to your laptop by replacing the cd drive with the gpu module?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Yep, I have already watched these videos. Now, two questions. How much would a gtx 900 series card suffer performance wise? And also, in the second vid the laptop has an easily removable back cover, while mine back is attached to the pc but its still removable. What do you think, will this be a problem?

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Well, you have a pci connection on the ultrabat so techically, ypu would only need to connect a gpu to the ultrabay through an extender and an external power supply to feed it.

Or just try and get an ultrabay gt755m and you would get a good entry level performer. I have one with the sli configuration and it works good. Lenovo could get off their asses and do ultrabay versions of better cards...

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Well, you have a pci connection on the ultrabat so techically, ypu would only need to connect a gpu to the ultrabay through an extender and an external power supply to feed it.

Or just try and get an ultrabay gt755m and you would get a good entry level performer. I have one with the sli configuration and it works good. Lenovo could get off their asses and do ultrabay versions of better cards...

Well, I mostly want the geforce experience shadow play and gamestream functionality to work which is impossiple with the SLI config. Also, the ultrabay isnt pci as far as I know. It uses a custom connector and a SATA connector. Help.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Well, I mostly want the geforce experience shadow play and gamestream functionality to work which is impossiple with the SLI config. Also, the ultrabay isnt pci as far as I know. It uses a custom connector and a SATA connector. Help.

It is not impossible. I have used it and you don't suffer in performance. You have more grunt.than a 750ti with the sli config.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

It is not impossible. I have used it and you don't suffer in performance. You have more grunt.than a 750ti with the sli config.

So you are saying that the connector in the ultrabay is an pci one? Also, I'd love to get the sli gt755m but it isnt available anywhere on the internet.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

So you are saying that the connector in the ultrabay is an pci one? Also, I'd love to get the sli gt755m but it isnt available anywhere on the internet.

Yes. The ultrabay is a pci connection iirc. It is not a normal one though. It is smaller. If youfind a connector you should be alright. Lenovo stoped producing the ultrabay gfx for a reason which is a shame... If you can find one it will set you back about 150...

Yes. The ultrabay is a pci connection iirc. It is not a normal one though. It is smaller. If youfind a connector you should be alright. Lenovo stoped producing the ultrabay gfx for a reason which is a shame... If you can find one it will set you back about 150...

Is it a mini pci or a mini pci based proprietary port? If its proprietary then how can i find one?

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I think it is mini but check it for yourself. Take out the dvd drive and look at the shape of it. Also dp a google search. Check the us ebayfor the gt 755 ultrabay too. If someone has one, the americans do.

Yep, I have already watched these videos. Now, two questions. How much would a gtx 900 series card suffer performance wise? And also, in the second vid the laptop has an easily removable back cover, while mine back is attached to the pc but its still removable. What do you think, will this be a problem?

This really depends on games and what apps you want to run. A wifi card slot has only about 500MB/s of bandwidth which is not a lot. (some laptops may be different but they are usually PCH connected lanes at 2.0 x1) Here are some scenarios for you since I've been using eGPUs quite extensively. 

1) The Windows desktop doesn't suffer from any lag over a low bandwidth connection which is great

2) compute apps also don't care about PCIe lane bandwidth and will run the same regardless

4) Video editing apps such as Adobe Premiere are VERY bandwidth heavy and anything above the power of a 750ti will suffer major lag in editing and exporting.

3) games such as Call Of Duty, Just Cause, Battlefield 4 are very bandwidth heavy games and you can run a 980Ti and it'll still lag. 

4) it is a PITA to get an eGPU running unless you have a laptop with a BIOS that is very configurable or a piece of software to help the BIOS allocate enough mem for an eGPU to run. This software is called Setup 1.x and it runs preboot every time you want to connect your eGPU.(google it)

This really depends on games and what apps you want to run. A wifi card slot has only about 500MB/s of bandwidth which is not a lot. (some laptops may be different but they are usually PCH connected lanes at 2.0 x1) Here are some scenarios for you since I've been using eGPUs quite extensively.

1) The Windows desktop doesn't suffer from any lag over a low bandwidth connection which is great

2) compute apps also don't care about PCIe lane bandwidth and will run the same regardless

4) Video editing apps such as Adobe Premiere are VERY bandwidth heavy and anything above the power of a 750ti will suffer major lag in editing and exporting.

3) games such as Call Of Duty, Just Cause, Battlefield 4 are very bandwidth heavy games and you can run a 980Ti and it'll still lag.

4) it is a PITA to get an eGPU running unless you have a laptop with a BIOS that is very configurable or a piece of software to help the BIOS allocate enough mem for an eGPU to run. This software is called Setup 1.x and it runs preboot every time you want to connect your eGPU.(google it)

Ugh, that hit me. Alright, wifi card slot is checked out because I am planning it to use it as a gaming rig. So, what do you think, will the ultrabay pci connector be powerful enough? Because its designed for use with a gpu after all

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, that hit me. Alright, wifi card slot is checked out because I am planning it to use it as a gaming rig. So, what do you think, will the ultrabay pci connector be powerful enough? Because its designed for use with a gpu after all

Sure, finding a way to adapt it will be one question. Then how does the BIOS see that other card? I assume the BIOS enables SLI automatically when another 650m is attached but I wonder what will happen if it see a card of a different model? I'd be all for trying it lol but another question that I can't answer. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2015 at 11:16 PM, ha1o2surfer said:

Sure, finding a way to adapt it will be one question. Then how does the BIOS see that other card? I assume the BIOS enables SLI automatically when another 650m is attached but I wonder what will happen if it see a card of a different model? I'd be all for trying it lol but another question that I can't answer. 

I dont have the 650m model. Well, I guess I'll have to mod the bios. Also, the ultrabay connector is NOT a full pci-e connector, according to my research. So the wifi pci-e connector is going to be the only way

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

On 4/18/2016 at 9:37 PM, gerald91 said:

Interesting booster for graphic performance...

Get desktop performance on a laptop :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/290597041/lenovo-y410p-y510p-ultrabay-adapter-for-graphic-ca

can you post some benchmark scores?

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync

• 3 months later...

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync