Why aren't there high ppi 4k monitors?

NMann

There are phones with 441ppi on 5 inch screens so why cant manufacturers do the same on monitors.

phone screen pixels are allot smaller imagine fitting 1920 by 1080 or 2million pixels into a 24inch panel vs a 5 inch panel. you can see how the pixels are physically bigger.

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

There are phones with 441ppi on 5 inch screens so why cant manufacturers do the same on monitors.

Because ppi is relative to screen size and viewing distance.  You don't need 441 ppi on a desktop monitor that you view from several inches away.

This Dell screen has over 200ppi, about the same as the Retina Macbook Pro.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=up275k3

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Because the screen would have to be 5 inches for you to get a better PPI and that's not useable with a PC!! Plus you are normally a lot further away from the monitor and it will look just as good from a distance instead of right up close to your face! You would need a much greater pixel count than 4K to get that kind of PPI  

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

PPI is defined as Pixels per inch - basically a ratio between number of pixels (resolution) and the size of the screen. If you'd want 441ppi on a say 24inch monitor you'd need a lot more pixels than 4K

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

You don't need that many ppi. Above about 300 (What Apple calls Retina) the human eye can't distinguish individual pixels so anything higher than that will just tax your GPU really.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Because the screen would have to be 5 inches for you to get a better PPI and that's not useable with a PC!! Plus you are normally a lot further away from the monitor and it will look just as good from a distance instead of right up close to your face! You would need a much greater pixel count than 4K to get that kind of PPI

i agree, but wouldnt the extra pixels still contribute to a better viewing experience. I know that the human eye cannot discern a higher pixel density beyond a certain distance away from the display. Still, a higher ppi would make the images almost 3d like. So why not do it, its not like its going to cost manufacturers their quality of products.

If you really want high ppi ini a 4k monitor, then get the 25" dell monitor.

i agree, but wouldnt the extra pixels still contribute to a better viewing experience. I know that the human eye cannot discern a higher pixel density beyond a certain distance away from the display. Still, a higher ppi would make the images almost 3d like. So why not do it, its not like its going to cost manufacturers their quality of products.

I am not sure it would make them '3D like' as you wouldn't be able to see them!!! So really its pointless having a PPI that high on a monitor!! 

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

I am not sure it would make them '3D like' as you wouldn't be able to see them!!! So really its pointless having a PPI that high on a monitor!!

actually, lg is in the process of making an 8k display that has such a high pixel density they claim there will be no need for 3d glasses

actually, lg is in the process of making an 8k display that has such a high pixel density they claim there will be no need for 3d glasses

Hmmmmm interesting..... Shall have to look into that! 

PPI is defined to be length(diagonal in pixels) / length(diagonal in inches). Thus, if you increase the physical size of the display, the PPI goes down. A 4K display at 3840x2160 has 4405 pixels on the diagonal, so a 6 inch screen would give you 734 PPI, whereas a 25 inch screen would give you 176 PPI.

For reference, to get even half of the 734 PPI on a 25 inch monitor, you would need a display resolution of 8000x4500. And if you were to increase the size of the display to something more reasonable, the required resolution would also increase.

For example, assuming that you have the same aspect ratio, a 25 inch monitor is 25 times larger than a 5 inch cellphone screen. If they have the same PPI and the phone has a 1440p resolution, your monitor would be 7200p. That's 12800x7200, or a "13K" resolution.

So simplest answer: They don't exist and there is no technology to make them right now.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

PPI is defined as Pixels per inch - basically a ratio between number of pixels (resolution) and the size of the screen. If you'd want 441ppi on a say 24inch moni

PPI is defined to be length(diagonal in pixels) / length(diagonal in inches). Thus, if you increase the physical size of the display, the PPI goes down. A 4K display at 3840x2160 has 4405 pixels on the diagonal, so a 6 inch screen would give you 734 PPI, whereas a 25 inch screen would give you 176 PPI.

For reference, to get even half of the 734 PPI on a 25 inch monitor, you would need a display resolution of 8000x4500. And if you were to increase the size of the display to something more reasonable, the required resolution would also increase.

For example, assuming that you have the same aspect ratio, a 25 inch monitor is 25 times larger than a 5 inch cellphone screen. If they have the same PPI and the phone has a 1440p resolution, your monitor would be 7200p. That's 12800x7200, or a "13K" resolution.

So simplest answer: They don't exist and there is no technology to make them right now.

well, you could do what they do with larger displays and perfectly line up 6 5inch panels into a single display, but you're going to need a hell of a lot of graphics processing horsepower., like four Titans or something.

And you will also need edgeless panels too,

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.