Coaxial to Ethernet

0nRay
Go to solution Solved by typetheed,

Typethreed, are you trying to be condescending? I don't claim to be a networking genius which is why I came here... I have a hardwired connection to my rt ac66u. All I did with the router was turn the thing on and plug the other thing into the thing. I haven't tampered with the settings on my router other that turning it on and configuring my wifi password and SSID which is only to be used for my phone and other not mission critical devices. Pretty certain configuring my wifi setting isn't to blame for my ping issue.

Just to clarify guys I bought the router because the wifi built into my modem was only wireless g which isn't fast enough for all my wireless devices plus the range was terrible. Had I know all I needed to do was buy a beast Modem I wouldn't have wasted the money. How much does a super fast but fairly bare bones and easy to use modem cost exactly?

I'm sorry, I was definitely out of line responding like that. I was having a pretty bad day. I sounded like a jerk in my reply now that I re-read it, and I apologize.

In all seriousness though, a modem is a modem. Any modem claiming to be a "performance" modem is 99% marketing giberish. There are custom cable modem/router boxes that are pretty beast, but they get pricey.

I would recommend a dedicated cable modem box hooked up to your own router. Motorola and Cisco make nice ones in the $30~$60 range.

Hi guys. I am just wondering if I got a coaxial to ethernet adapter if I would be able to ditch my crappy Cisco modem and just use my far superior Asus router. I feel having the modem in the way of my router is causing my ping to deteriorate. Is this possible or am I living on a prayer? I've scanned other forums and websites but can't find a conclusive answer to my question. Shaw is my ISP and my ping is around 60ms if that matters.

Cheers!

Hi guys. I am just wondering if I got a coaxial to ethernet adapter if I would be able to ditch my crappy Cisco modem and just use my far superior Asus router. I feel having the modem in the way of my router is causing my ping to deteriorate. Is this possible or am I living on a prayer? I've scanned other forums and websites but can't find a conclusive answer to my question. Shaw is my ISP and my ping is around 60ms if that matters.

Cheers!

you cant simply unscramble the signal from coax using a simple cable. thats is what the modem is for, it decrypts and unscrambles internet data from the co ax, get a docsis 3 motorolla modem.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Do you even know what a modem is for?

If you have ping problems, then that means you're either on wifi, or didn't configure your "far superior" asus router right.

I don't think you realise what the modem does.. as above. It sorts out the internet data, and the router assigns IP's essentially.

Get a Draytek Vigor 120 modem, and connect that to your "far superiour" asus router.

you cant simply unscramble the signal from coax using a simple cable. thats is what the modem is for, it decrypts and unscrambles internet data from the co ax, get a docsis 3 motorolla modem.

Okay good to know. Now that I have a basic understanding how much is a good quality modem going to cost me? Are they about the same Performance per $ as a router?

Do you even know what a modem is for?

If you have ping problems, then that means you're either on wifi, or didn't configure your "far superior" asus router right.

Typethreed, are you trying to be condescending? I don't claim to be a networking genius which is why I came here... I have a hardwired connection to my rt ac66u. All I did with the router was turn the thing on and plug the other thing into the thing. I haven't tampered with the settings on my router other that turning it on and configuring my wifi password and SSID which is only to be used for my phone and other not mission critical devices. Pretty certain configuring my wifi setting isn't to blame for my ping issue.

Just to clarify guys I bought the router because the wifi built into my modem was only wireless g which isn't fast enough for all my wireless devices plus the range was terrible. Had I know all I needed to do was buy a beast Modem I wouldn't have wasted the money. How much does a super fast but fairly bare bones and easy to use modem cost exactly?

I'm sorry, I was definitely out of line responding like that. I was having a pretty bad day. I sounded like a jerk in my reply now that I re-read it, and I apologize.

In all seriousness though, a modem is a modem. Any modem claiming to be a "performance" modem is 99% marketing giberish. There are custom cable modem/router boxes that are pretty beast, but they get pricey.

I would recommend a dedicated cable modem box hooked up to your own router. Motorola and Cisco make nice ones in the $30~$60 range.

No worries it happens to the best of us, I appreciate the apology. Understanding whats what really helps when it comes to these decisions. Thanks for the advice!