Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas
1 minute ago, Monarch said:

A 1080p monitor is not going to help remove aliasing. So if that's what you're hoping to get out of it, don't waste money. In fact, not even a 4k monitor can do that. Sure, aliasing would be less pronounced, but still there.

yeah even maxed AA cant prevent it.. but thats not my really problem right now.. the pop ins or low draw distance and pixelated shadows and shimmering is the thing i care for now

Just now, KenjiD5 said:

yeah even maxed AA cant prevent it.. but thats not my really problem right now.. the pop ins or low draw distance and pixelated shadows and shimmering is the thing i care for now

Shimmering happens due to specular aliasing.

Pop-ins are worse in some games than others, but it depends on the amount of objects there are. If you have a lot of objects, like in GTA V and Fallout 4, you can't have high draw distance primarily because of the outdated API (D3D11, or DX11), which has huge overhead and is unable to cope with large amounts of draw calls.

In TW3 and ACU for example, NPCs are popping up in front of you because there are a lot of NPCs on screen already, so you can't afford to have even more in the distance, it would just kill performance.

Also, the transitions when having object pop in and transitions to other LOD steps are different in different engines. In GTA V, the object doesn't just pop up, but does so gradually with a pixelated effect.  

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

27 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Shimmering happens due to specular aliasing.

Pop-ins are worse in some games than others, but it depends on the amount of objects there are. If you have a lot of objects, like in GTA V and Fallout 4, you can't have high draw distance primarily because of the outdated API (D3D11, or DX11), which has huge overhead and is unable to cope with large amounts of draw calls.

In TW3 and ACU for example, NPCs are popping up in front of you because there are a lot of NPCs on screen already, so you can't afford to have even more in the distance, it would just kill performance.

Also, the transitions when having object pop in and transitions to other LOD steps are different in different engines. In GTA V, the object doesn't just pop up, but does so gradually with a pixelated effect.  

in fallout 4.. the ambient occlusion are just rendering in front of me.. and also gta v.. the problem with gta v is that i cant even turn off ambient occlusion.. its broken

3 hours ago, Monarch said:

A 1080p monitor is not going to help remove aliasing. So if that's what you're hoping to get out of it, don't waste money. In fact, not even a 4k monitor can do that. Sure, aliasing would be less pronounced, but still there.

I agree and disagree with this at the same time. In the case of going from an 18.5" 1366x768 display to say, a 24" 1080p display, the pixel density will be significantly higher and thus, it will be able to display a higher level of detail in the image it displays. That being said, the DPI is still limited and you can still "see" the pixels on a display of this size and resolution. So yes, some of the visual anomalies will still be visible, but they will not be as prominent as it was at 1366x768. 

Yes, the same visual anomalies will still be present, even on a 4k display, but even a 28" 4k display is going to look far better than a 24" 1080p, for example. The DPI is 4x 1080p at the same relative display size. Many people report not even needing to use any AA filters in many games at 4k because the pixel density is so high. If you can't see the physical pixels (if they are that small), then it can properly reproduce the image rendered with the highest level of detail the eye can detect. In such a case; those visual anomalies caused by the limitations of lower pixel density will be basically non-existent.   

3 hours ago, KenjiD5 said:

hey.. i survive with that for 4 YEARS!!!i played a lot of games with that gpu like Half Life 2,(ALL SOURCE GAMES I THINK),Outlast,Amnesia,COD MW SERIES and BO Series except for BO3,Battlefield 3 (not rly),storm 3 and revolution,Batman Arkham Origins,Grand Theft Auto 1 - 4,Undertale OFC,HuniePop (Just kidding m8 dont take that game srsly),and more

I meant no disrespect, just to be clear. Was just curious. ;) 

Also, keep in mind that if you have certain graphics settings turned down, some games are not going look all that great. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

4 hours ago, KenjiD5 said:

in fallout 4.. the ambient occlusion are just rendering in front of me.. and also gta v.. the problem with gta v is that i cant even turn off ambient occlusion.. its broken

Well that's another issue entirely. I haven't noticed anything like that and I think you're the first one to report this issue here.

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

I agree and disagree with this at the same time. In the case of going from an 18.5" 1366x768 display to say, a 24" 1080p display, the pixel density will be significantly higher and thus, it will be able to display a higher level of detail in the image it displays. That being said, the DPI is still limited and you can still "see" the pixels on a display of this size and resolution. So yes, some of the visual anomalies will still be visible, but they will not be as prominent as it was at 1366x768. 

Yes, the same visual anomalies will still be present, even on a 4k display, but even a 28" 4k display is going to look far better than a 24" 1080p, for example. The DPI is 4x 1080p at the same relative display size. Many people report not even needing to use any AA filters in many games at 4k because the pixel density is so high. If you can't see the physical pixels (if they are that small), then it can properly reproduce the image rendered with the highest level of detail the eye can detect. In such a case; those visual anomalies caused by the limitations of lower pixel density will be basically non-existent.   

Aliasing won't be as prominent at 1080p, but it'd still look horrible, just less horrible than with a 1366x768 monitor. It seems like the aliasing artifacts really bother Kenji so I told him I don't think getting a 1080p is not worth it. And if he wants them completely gone, not even 4k is enough. At 4k you can still see crawling and shimmering and you need at least FXAA to reduce them.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

3 hours ago, Monarch said:

Well that's another issue entirely. I haven't noticed anything like that and I think you're the first one to report this issue here.

Aliasing won't be as prominent at 1080p, but it'd still look horrible, just less horrible than with a 1366x768 monitor. It seems like the aliasing artifacts really bother Kenji so I told him I don't think getting a 1080p is not worth it. And if he wants them completely gone, not even 4k is enough. At 4k you can still see crawling and shimmering and you need at least FXAA to reduce them.

Aliasing artifacts never really bothered me.. just some time like in dark souls 3.. dang cant stand the aliasing there and even the shimmering or flickering grasses.. the things that bothered me the most is the texture pop in because of low draw distance,pixelated shadows and i think .. i dont know..

anyway in dark souls 3 i can make the game way up to the max and still playable or i mean VERY PLAYABLE even though i see youtubers cant even run it with 750 ti maxed out but i can.. but the graphics sucks it look like tweak graphics settings to very low.. anyway i be trying outlast today and i hope its all good there.. i have played it so many times so i know that there is no texture pop ins and pixelated shadows.. the game will look shit if there are pixelated shadows 

KILL ME PLS ITS SUPER BAD! i played outlast and instead of having pixelated shadows.. i have pixelated screen.. kill me i cant take it anymore kill me pls its super lame.. ok last resort.. RMA the gpu 

reply fast pls.. guys? the graphics effects in games are gone.. anti aliasing,reflection,draw distance,bloom even when i turned on those shtis they were still not there and its totally not a game issue.. why it would be a game issue if all games got it? come on help me fast im going to rma the card now do you think it helps remove the issue or just waste of time?

MEC?

Monarch?

I have Z-fighting in Adobe Premiere too. Its horrible. :(

guys i think i found a solution in youtube but i dont know.. try it for yourself PC PROBLEMS.pngPC PROBLEMS 2.pngPC PROBLEMS 3.pngPC PROBLEMS 4.pngPC PROBLEMS 5.pngPC PROBLEMS 6.png

This problem (jagged edges/flickering lines) started on my computer after about 3 weeks I bought it . I clearly did not have any issues with my system. I installed lots of games but didn't have any problem and this suddenly started. (tbh maybe it was there all the time from beginning but I didn't noticed).

I searched on google to find a solution and I was extremely disappointed! there is not a single possible solution for this. I have read all 98 pages of NVIDIA forums and many other forums as well. but sadly the truth is there is no possible solution at all.

To me, it seems that this issue is because of limitations of technology. This means maybe we are judging too early and have to wait a few more years until new technologies come out with new hardwares and game engines and these problems will be all fixed.

The reason I believe that is because this problem is not only happening to NVIDIA graphics card but also happening to all other cards by different manufactures. In case you didn't know, this problem also has been happening on all consoles. but the fact is most people don't realize it and get over it. but some people like me, can't play the game with these jaggy edges and flickering lines.

Here is a video of GTA V on console back in 2013:

As you can see from that video, you can clearly see lots of jagginess and flickering lines all around objects.
But as technology gets better, these issues have been addressed and solved (almost). I hope people can understand that.

I even noticed jaggies edges in some advertisements when I was in cinema last week. There was an ad about a car company that they had jaggies all over their vehicle. I don't know how they rendered it or maybe wanted to enhance colors or something or add animations but me and my friend could clearly see all those flickering lines and jaggies.

Now surprisingly I noticed jaggies on NVIDIA official video! YES! I am not even joking. Today I suddenly saw a video by NVIDIA official channel on youtube introducing new GTX 1080. And even in their own video I could clearly see jaggies and those flickering lines. I mean man this is everywhere!!
Just take a look your self. at 0:40 in that video look around the fan circle you can see how jaggy it is and how pixelated it is clearly!!

2 hours ago, davewolax said:

This problem (jagged edges/flickering lines) started on my computer after about 3 weeks I bought it . I clearly did not have any issues with my system. I installed lots of games but didn't have any problem and this suddenly started. (tbh maybe it was there all the time from beginning but I didn't noticed).

Considering that there are now a lot of people besides me claiming this issue suddenly started after several weeks makes it a lot more likely that it does in fact happen all of a sudden.

2 hours ago, Demiqas said:

Considering that there are now a lot of people besides me claiming this issue suddenly started after several weeks makes it a lot more likely that it does in fact happen all of a sudden.

So any solution? I mean seriously this is even in their own NVIDIA official video. They have these jaggies too. have you checked it out?!

2 hours ago, Demiqas said:

Its very interesting that this problem is now visible on so many gaming videos on Youtube and even on some movies and animations. But I was surprised to find some recent gaming videos that does not have this problem at all. No jagginess at all and no shadow problem in GTA V.

For example take a loot at this video:

This guy has absolutely no jagged edges, no flickering lines at all!!! Its insane! how is that even possible? did these guys found solution for this or something? or maybe they are playing with 4 Titan X SLI? or something. someone needs to explain that to me.

Now take a look at this next video, this guy also doesn't have jagged edges/flickering edges at all but apparently I noticed he does indeed has shadow box problem which is completely visible at 0:32 you can see the shadow of that tree is flickering horribly and also the player is in a box. just hurts my eyes to watch this!

But again none of these YouTubers have Jagged edges problem at all! INSANE. I NEED EXPLANATION HOW!?!

On 5/7/2016 at 10:16 AM, KenjiD5 said:

KILL ME PLS ITS SUPER BAD! i played outlast and instead of having pixelated shadows.. i have pixelated screen.. kill me i cant take it anymore kill me pls its super lame.. ok last resort.. RMA the gpu 

Wait for GTX 1080. maybe that would solve all these flickering issues and jagged edges.

Then once its released, NVIDIA might announce this: "Shit yes, all of the 9xx cards produced in 2014-2015 were ALL faulty but we didn't want to announce to public because we would be screwed up! and all those people would send back their cards for replacement/repair and that would be so fu**ed up so we keep deleting posts on our GeForce forums and keep silence so people would shut up about it. So we can make more sales."

Just wait for the truth to be unleashed.

It is NOT a hardware (GPU) problem. Please stop saying it is. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

On 5/5/2016 at 4:04 AM, Monarch said:

Most games have inadequate anti-aliasing techniques, either due to engine limitations, budget constraints, or performance cost. After all these posts, I haven't seen a single instance where anything was abnormal or had to do with certain hardware only. But you mentioned TW3, which has pretty good AA solutions, so unless you turned AA off it shouldn't be as bad as BF4, ACU and FC4. 

But in my case its actually the worse in witcher 3,with or without aa there are these white dots on all over chainmail,metallic edges,wet surfaces ,slimy monsters 

I dont know what it is,aa or something else but sure know its happened aftrr i upgraded to 970 .

1 hour ago, davewolax said:

Wait for GTX 1080. maybe that would solve all these flickering issues and jagged edges.

Then once its released, NVIDIA might announce this: "Shit yes, all of the 9xx cards produced in 2014-2015 were ALL faulty but we didn't want to announce to public because we would be screwed up! and all those people would send back their cards for replacement/repair and that would be so fu**ed up so we keep deleting posts on our GeForce forums and keep silence so people would shut up about it. So we can make more sales."

that problem is normal.. but not mine! pixelated shadows? low draw distance? anti aliasing is only in front of me? black lines draw distance? texture pop ins wherever i look or wherever i move to? can you say this is normal? even those graphics effects like lights shafts are just box.. BOX! what the hell! those graphics effects look like placeholder.. cant stand it and those shimmering grasses.. those pixelated shadows and sometime in other games its pixelated screen like im playing it in full resolution but the screen show 800x600

1 hour ago, davewolax said:

that problem is normal.. but not mine! pixelated shadows? low draw distance? anti aliasing is only in front of me? black lines draw distance? texture pop ins wherever i look or wherever i move to? can you say this is normal? even those graphics effects like lights shafts are just box.. BOX! what the hell! those graphics effects look like placeholder.. cant stand it and those shimmering grasses.. those pixelated shadows and sometime in other games its pixelated screen like im playing it in full resolution but the screen show 800x600

1 hour ago, Razpor said:

But in my case its actually the worse in witcher 3,with or without aa there are these white dots on all over chainmail,metallic edges,wet surfaces ,slimy monsters 

I dont know what it is,aa or something else but sure know its happened aftrr i upgraded to 970 .

In TW3, turn down the sharpness in the graphics settings. Having it cranked up make the game look horrible (IMO). 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Honestly, from the screenshots, this looks like a SSAO or HBAO issue and not an aliasing problem.  If it was an aliasing issue, it looks like anti-aliasing is being applied with WAY to high a filter size which is definitely not happening.

Back in the day (8 series) Burnout Paradise had broken SSAO which was inherent to the game and it resulted in eerily similar results.

Clevo p377sm-a | 3.9ghz i7 4800mq | SLI GTX 970m 6gb, 1236mhz core, 1404mhz mem | 24gb DDR3 | No BGA crap found here

I have some updates.

Take a look at this video:

This guy is playing GTA V on a Titan X and still have those anti aliasing issues. specially if you look at the lines on the street and parking lines, (white and yellow lines) you can clearly see flickering and jagged lines extremely visible. At some point of the video, he even increase MSAA to x8 and max out all settings and yet still have lots of issues.

We are living in a time were games are more advanced than the latest hardware available in the market in the entire planet. Thats something really sad. I thought a $1000 graphics card would outperform any game no matter what. but turns out I was wrong. Even GTX 1080 will not be able to play these games ultra settings which is the sad truth. 

Now you guys should probably deal with it because there is no solution. this is hardware limitation and until NVIDIA and other corporations don't make better chips, this problem will still exists. 

In conclusion: I'm a bit confused, someone need to explain to me then how does animation industries such as Pixar or movie companies with intense animations and visual effects don't have these issues? how is it that Pixar makes great high quality animations since 10 years ago (probably longer) without jagged edges and flickering lines? or how come the dragon in Game of thrones doesn't have jagged edges and flickering lines? how the freaking they do it?

How they do it? do they use 50 Titan graphic cards in SLI or something? I need answers!

5 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

It is NOT a hardware (GPU) problem. Please stop saying it is. 

This is indeed hardware limitation. People with 4 Titan X SLI still have these problems. Its everywhere, even on television ads and animations. movie visual effects. just because you don't see it, doesn't mean its not happening.