Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas
On 26-2-2016 at 1:41 AM, FruitBasketSilex said:

People and their eyes man, like I was saying from the start. That's the only thing linking this shit together.

are you going to say anything useful because right now you're at spamming level. It's not even that you don't believe the issue, you're actively pushing the idea that it's fake. Do you care that much?

something that I believe I haven't said in this thread yet, a while ago on the nvidia forums I had tried running some 3d tests, back when I believe I had the 960 or the 750 ti, on both windows 7 and ubuntu. While windows 7 showed a lot of z-fighting issues, ubuntu had none during those tests. It may not be aliasing or pop ins, but the fact that one OS can show a lot of z-fighting and the other none at all, means it could after all be an OS problem too.

The biggest issue with ubuntu however was that I couldn't test anything beyond some simple 3d scenes, because of how terrible nvidia driver support is. I remember AMD driver support being pretty good though. In a couple of months, I might, might, do sometests on that if I feel like it.

1 hour ago, Demiqas said:

are you going to say anything useful because right now you're at spamming level. It's not even that you don't believe the issue, you're actively pushing the idea that it's fake. Do you care that much?

something that I believe I haven't said in this thread yet, a while ago on the nvidia forums I had tried running some 3d tests, back when I believe I had the 960 or the 750 ti, on both windows 7 and ubuntu. While windows 7 showed a lot of z-fighting issues, ubuntu had none during those tests. It may not be aliasing or pop ins, but the fact that one OS can show a lot of z-fighting and the other none at all, means it could after all be an OS problem too.

The biggest issue with ubuntu however was that I couldn't test anything beyond some simple 3d scenes, because of how terrible nvidia driver support is. I remember AMD driver support being pretty good though. In a couple of months, I might, might, do sometests on that if I feel like it.

Now that is interesting new information since I was under the impression that during the MageTank phase we ruled out pretty much everything, including OS.  Now, between your report here and App4that (and a few others) claiming that this could in fact be Windows specific, that gives us something to look into.  It suggests first of all that this could not be happening (or at the very least should not be happening) on consoles (at least not on playstation - xbox might be similar enough to windows for it to occur, idk), so I would (again) very much like to see proof of that if it is indeed happening.  It also suggests that it is something within Windows, and/or within the drivers for Windows, and regardless implies that it is a software issue and thus that in theory it can be fixed, and that any degradation that has happened over time should be undo-able, and that a- no hardware is immune, and b- no hardware has been damaged, nor needs to be replaced.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Now that is interesting new information since I was under the impression that during the MageTank phase we ruled out pretty much everything, including OS.  Now, between your report here and App4that (and a few others) claiming that this could in fact be Windows specific, that gives us something to look into.  It suggests first of all that this could not be happening (or at the very least should not be happening) on consoles (at least not on playstation - xbox might be similar enough to windows for it to occur, idk), so I would (again) very much like to see proof of that if it is indeed happening.  It also suggests that it is something within Windows, and/or within the drivers for Windows, and regardless implies that it is a software issue and thus that in theory it can be fixed, and that any degradation that has happened over time should be undo-able, and that a- no hardware is immune, and b- no hardware has been damaged, nor needs to be replaced.

well I'll personally start coming with video proof in a couple of months. I wanted to try it with the 9800gts I bought a while ago but they both broke on me when I had switched them ._. The zfighting issues I mentioned were really visible though, so degradation won't be an issue.

4 hours ago, Demiqas said:

Actually, Nvidia's drivers for Linux are quite a lot better than AMD's right now and has been for a while - almost on par with Windows performance in a number of games. This is also why the pre-built Steam Machine consoles all use Nvidia GPUs. ;)

You should have been using Nvidia's proprietary drivers, not the opensource ones. If you were using the opensource drivers, that's probably why you were having performance issues.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

30 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Actually, Nvidia's drivers for Linux are quite a lot better than AMD's right now and has been for a while - almost on par with Windows performance in a number of games. This is also why the pre-built Steam Machine consoles all use Nvidia GPUs. ;)

You should have been using Nvidia's proprietary drivers, not the opensource ones. If you were using the opensource drivers, that's probably why you were having performance issues.

I was using the proprietary drivers. Last time I used ubuntu on an nvidia chip was on my 750 ti and all I can remember is getting a lot lower fps compared to windows, and driver settings not working at all. On my r9 290 everything had worked fine.

I did some testing on a laptop with a 630m chip by the way on windows, and supersampling correctly adds a layer of blur and makes everything a lot smoother like it is supposed to, which it didn't do at all on my gtx 960 and my gtx 750 ti.

only thing is, I don't know if it's the chipset that's causing the difference or whether the newest drivers have fixed something.

I'm going to take some screenshots as it is really visible in screenshots, for if it ever happens to change again. Though I doubt it considering the laptop is already 4 years old.

25 minutes ago, Demiqas said:

I was using the proprietary drivers. Last time I used ubuntu on an nvidia chip was on my 750 ti and all I can remember is getting a lot lower fps compared to windows, and driver settings not working at all. On my r9 290 everything had worked fine.

I did some testing on a laptop with a 630m chip by the way on windows, and supersampling correctly adds a layer of blur and makes everything a lot smoother like it is supposed to, which it didn't do at all on my gtx 960 and my gtx 750 ti.

only thing is, I don't know if it's the chipset that's causing the difference or whether the newest drivers have fixed something.

I'm going to take some screenshots as it is really visible in screenshots, for if it ever happens to change again. Though I doubt it considering the laptop is already 4 years old.

screenshots, especially ones collected from many different devices can be great because it allows you (and us) to compare what the video output looks like all on one screen, so that is removed as a variable between systems.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I did more testing on this 630m chip and the graphics aren't what  would be considered "not broken", but the fact that supersampling smooths the graphics makes everything a whole lot more pleasant to look at.

is there anyone who can test supersampling with the newest drivers and see if it has the same effect? I still don't know if it's something they fixed in the new drivers, or if it is solely related to this 630m.

1 hour ago, Demiqas said:

I did more testing on this 630m chip and the graphics aren't what  would be considered "not broken", but the fact that supersampling smooths the graphics makes everything a whole lot more pleasant to look at.

is there anyone who can test supersampling with the newest drivers and see if it has the same effect? I still don't know if it's something they fixed in the new drivers, or if it is solely related to this 630m.

I can try SSAA in ROTTR later today and let you know. SSAA was horrible in that game, made it look significantly worse. 

FC Primal uses SMAA as the highest/best form of AA and I can attest it looks great. No AA looks "ok" and FXAA looks like a mushy mess. lol. Game runs and looks great, BTW. 1080p ultra 60fps+ no problem on a 980. :) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

the only solution is to change the graphics card as I am doing and I have solved my problem

yeah don't be too happy yet if getting a new card fixed it, it'll break soon enough, it has happened over three times to me now.

7 hours ago, wassim01 said:

the only solution is to change the graphics card as I am doing and I have solved my problem

Please start randomly saving screenshots now; if/when your card "degrades" you will be able to take more screenshots at that time and once and fo4 all capture proof that this happens.

16 hours ago, wassim01 said:

Please man record witcher 3 and show graphic options just like me to compare it 

I have changed my NVIDIA GTX 970 card with an old gpu gtx 780 ti and I am doing a new installation of the sytem and the problem is solved before any filters the anti alising no longer works on my card gtx 970 but now all it works this problem I get when I have to buy this crap card gigabyte gtx 970 gaming

3 hours ago, wassim01 said:

I have changed my NVIDIA GTX 970 card with an old gpu gtx 780 ti and I am doing a new installation of the sytem and the problem is solved before any filters the anti alising no longer works on my card gtx 970 but now all it works this problem I get when I have to buy this crap card gigabyte gtx 970 gaming

Can you please post up a video game play recording with your 780Ti so we can compare? Thanks. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I'm struggling with this as well, as evidenced in the video i attached. Mine is an msi 970 and i5 3570.

32 minutes ago, Dee_tawb said:

I'm struggling with this as well, as evidenced in the video i attached. Mine is an msi 970 and i5 3570.

Yes,thats how it looks on my monitor and in your game it looks a way more clearly...Issue is real guys

1 hour ago, Dee_tawb said:

wow, that is really bad.  Does anyone know if that's just what that game looks like though or is this a unique issue?  Does anyone's tomb raider look good?

3 hours ago, Dee_tawb said:

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wow, that is really bad.  Does anyone know if that's just what that game looks like though or is this a unique issue?  Does anyone's tomb raider look good?

From Nvidia's graphics and performance guide article:

The launch-day build of the game added a SMAA post-process anti-aliasing mode. As you can see in the comparisons below it leaves many surfaces and edges aliased, and in some cases fails to anti-alias them whatsoever, but it does at least avoid FXAA's blurring of textures.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-graphics-and-performance-guide

@daraga123

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

7 minutes ago, Monarch said:

From Nvidia's graphics and performance guide article:

The launch-day build of the game added a SMAA post-process anti-aliasing mode. As you can see in the comparisons below it leaves many surfaces and edges aliased, and in some cases fails to anti-alias them whatsoever, but it does at least avoid FXAA's blurring of textures.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-graphics-and-performance-guide

@daraga123

The videos on that page don't do a great job of showing a similar area of the game to the video posted above.  If any one has recorded footage of their game in a similar situation, and if it looks considerably better, it would be interesting to see.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The videos on that page don't do a great job of showing a similar area of the game to the video posted above.  If any one has recorded footage of their game in a similar situation, and if it looks considerably better, it would be interesting to see.

It's highly unlikely SMAA would look better for someone else. There's a reason these AA techniques like SMAA and FXAA are cheap in terms of performance. They're not really good.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

5 hours ago, Dee_tawb said:

5 hours ago, daraga123 said:

Yes,thats how it looks on my monitor and in your game it looks a way more clearly...Issue is real guys

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Guys, this is normal for this game. I noticed it on day one. Pretty much all the AA options in the game are broken or do not work - except FXAA which looks the best IMO. Made a video about it and posted it in this thread many pages back. I HIGHLY recommend using FXAA and 1440p DSR (if your GPU can handle it) with textures on high (not ultra or you'll run into hitching due to lack of Vram) for the best visual/performance in this game. 

Look at the icicles and the edge of the rock near by.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Guys, this is normal for this game. I noticed it on day one. Pretty much all the AA options in the game are broken or do not work - except FXAA which looks the best IMO. Made a video about it and posted it in this thread many pages back. I HIGHLY recommend using FXAA and 1440p DSR (if your GPU can handle it) with textures on high (not ultra or you'll run into hitching due to lack of Vram) for the best visual/performance in this game. 

Look at the icicles and the edge of the rock near by.

Alright, well there you have it, that game's just messed up :P (or maybe you have the problem too :ph34r:)