Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas
Just now, Miscellaneous said:

Yes, but at least it was kind of simple. I mean, now you have issues that could come from everywhere, software or hardware. 

It's like cars, old ones were functional, easy to use and fix. Now you can't put your hands inside because of complexity ^_^

Nah, still simple. Just has to be broken down into more parts. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

So besides the first TLDR LOD Bias doesn't work (which Nvidia has stated the setting hasn't been functional for a long time, multiple generations) propaganda post about something that isn't news, has ANYONE else tested their GPU in other PC's that work perfectly fine to see what happens?

Because unless it's a hardware fault, it's something wrong on your end with your configuration and this doesn't need to be a big deal.

If it's a physical defect on some cards, then it's a problem.

I'm not expecting an actual answer or proof from anyone, since this topic is 40 pages long and remarkably little progress in any direction has been made.

Just a lot of fucking mixed messages and confusion.

And OP seems like a crazy person with an agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Nvidia at all, and they've done things that we're quite quickly figured out once discovered like the 3.5gb of normal VRAM and the separate, rarely accessed, slower 0.5gb.

This topic though, this is just a clusterfuck of poor detective work.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but has this been brought up before? Not sure if it's fully relevant to the topic either.

OSqMfGw.jpg

Take note of the edges of the roof where the light shafts are heavily pixelated. Any idea why this happens and if there is any fix? This ONLY happens on my Nvidia GPUs. It NEVER occurred on my Fury X's. While moving, the pixelation is much worse, then when stationary I can watch it tighten up. It never gets all that great though and the above screenshot was taken while stationary. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

7 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but has this been brought up before? Not sure if it's fully relevant to the topic either.

OSqMfGw.jpg

Take note of the edges of the roof where the light shafts are heavily pixelated. Any idea why this happens and if there is any fix? This ONLY happens on my Nvidia GPUs. It NEVER occurred on my Fury X's. While moving, the pixelation is much worse, then when stationary I can watch it tighten up. It never gets all that great though and the above screenshot was taken while stationary. 

Yep, this I can fix.

Turn Godrays completely off, or put them to Ultra. Anything in between will cause this. If you turn them off check in the ini files that the setting is in fact off, likes to jump to low when you're not looking.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yep, this I can fix.

Turn Godrays completely off, or put them to Ultra. Anything in between will cause this. If you turn them off check in the ini files that the setting is in fact off, likes to jump to low when you're not looking.

Hmmm, had Godrays on high for whatever reason. On ultra it's better, but still there. Idk, what's weird is that I haven't messed with setting since my AMD cards and it looked fine on them even though I had to force tessellation to 8x. Maybe there's some setting in the nvidia control panel that I'm missing. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

22 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Hmmm, had Godrays on high for whatever reason. On ultra it's better, but still there. Idk, what's weird is that I haven't messed with setting since my AMD cards and it looked fine on them even though I had to force tessellation to 8x. Maybe there's some setting in the nvidia control panel that I'm missing. 

I wasn't going to say anything but I know this because both my 290 and 390 had a problem with this. Not a brand thing, but a Bethesda thing. If you turn it off it goes completely away, or if you have the power go above ultra in the ini files. 

Just now, App4that said:

I wasn't going to say anything but I know this because both my 290 and 390 had a problem with this. Not a brand thing, but a Bethesda thing. If you turn it off it goes completely away, or if you have the power go above ultra in the ini files. 

It's very possible that I could have messed with it in the ini files earlier. I had to edit things for ultrawide support and I feel like I messed with settings to get the AMD cards to run better. Either way, it's better now. Not perfect, but better. Maybe I'll try turning it up in the ini files as well. 

I can't even load Fallout 4 now after 1.3 so you're lucky. Started with stuttering and input lag and now I can't even get past the launcher :(

So trade ya xD

6 hours ago, Miscellaneous said:

Talking about that, I tried some games on my old 1080p 20" monitor, and a lot games looks really "better" in terms of shimmering. All issues are less annoying, and I thought that I wouldn't see some of them if I did not knew. Ironically.

Only some of them though.

Back on this post: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/499767-low-image-quality-on-newer-gpus/?do=findComment&comment=7216846 I calculated the approximate ppi (pixel density) on both your 20" 1080p monitor and your 32" 1440p monitor and concluded that your 20" 1080p display has a higher pixel density (higher ppi) and thus would produce a slightly sharper, more crisp image, viewing at the same relative distance. So yeah, given the same graphics settings, aside from resolution, games will look slightly more sharp, less pixely than on the 1440p display. So I'm not surprised you found games looked better on the 20" 1080p display. 

Higher ppi = better image quality. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Back on this post: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/499767-low-image-quality-on-newer-gpus/?do=findComment&comment=7216846 I calculated the approximate ppi (pixel density) on both your 20" 1080p monitor and your 32" 1440p monitor and concluded that your 20" 1080p display has a higher pixel density (higher ppi) and thus would produce a slightly sharper, more crisp image, viewing at the same relative distance. So yeah, given the same graphics settings, aside from resolution, games will look slightly more sharp, less pixely than on the 1440p display. So I'm not surprised you found games looked better on the 20" 1080p display. 

Higher ppi = better image quality. ;)

Yup that's make sense. I was more looking for the visual artifacts actually.

5 hours ago, Hunched said:

So besides the first TLDR LOD Bias doesn't work (which Nvidia has stated the setting hasn't been functional for a long time, multiple generations) propaganda post about something that isn't news, has ANYONE else tested their GPU in other PC's that work perfectly fine to see what happens?

Because unless it's a hardware fault, it's something wrong on your end with your configuration and this doesn't need to be a big deal.

If it's a physical defect on some cards, then it's a problem.

I'm not expecting an actual answer or proof from anyone, since this topic is 40 pages long and remarkably little progress in any direction has been made.

Just a lot of fucking mixed messages and confusion.

And OP seems like a crazy person with an agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Nvidia at all, and they've done things that we're quite quickly figured out once discovered like the 3.5gb of normal VRAM and the separate, rarely accessed, slower 0.5gb.

This topic though, this is just a clusterfuck of poor detective work.

It's not that stupid IMO. Even if all of these issues are all normal issues, there is still something wrong. I mean, with my old card, using higher graphic settings made the games look better, and reduced the fps. That was logical.

Now, even with a card that can handle much more than the highest settings, you have to tweak the game to get rid of artifacts, to be able to play the game as it was created ?

The only point of all of this is : if this is normal, this is not an upgrade. If it's not, how to fix it.

Obviously, it is well intended.

This thread isn't moving much, because 90% of the posts are about "is it real or not". And that's not a bad thing in my opinion, since I accept more artifacts now, as well as others.

Testing the GPU in a working PC as been done in the original post on Geforce forums. No differences in terms of quality :)

between this nvidia AA problem
and the intel "lock" news lol

i am so happy with my AMD machine :D

Found this screenshot I took before I changed my screen & my GPU. So I tried to take a new one (bottom picture) more or less identical.

The first one is in 1080p, while the second one is in 1440p.

2016-01-19_00001.thumb.jpg.d637150ce8d322016-02-15_00004.thumb.jpg.e589f3b062b7d

And, well, can't really see any differences. The new one is actually better which is normal since graphics are technically higher as well as resolution.

I'm done. I'm joining the everything-is-alright clan from now I guess ^_^

(btw, this is the best way to beat all stunt driver records haha)

1 hour ago, 7850OC said:

between this nvidia AA problem
and the intel "lock" news lol

i am so happy with my AMD machine :D

If you've looked through at least part of this thread early on, you'd have seen that the problem is not exclusive to Nvidia. That's why the title of the thread was changed. Also, many of us are still not convinced there even is a problem and we are Nvidia users (980/980Ti's etc). Everything looks great on my rig.  

40 minutes ago, Miscellaneous said:

I'm joining the everything-is-alright clan from now I guess ^_^

Welcome. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

49 minutes ago, Miscellaneous said:

Found this screenshot I took before I changed my screen & my GPU. So I tried to take a new one (bottom picture) more or less identical.

The first one is in 1080p, while the second one is in 1440p.

2016-01-19_00001.thumb.jpg.d637150ce8d322016-02-15_00004.thumb.jpg.e589f3b062b7d

And, well, can't really see any differences. The new one is actually better which is normal since graphics are technically higher as well as resolution.

I'm done. I'm joining the everything-is-alright clan from now I guess ^_^

(btw, this is the best way to beat all stunt driver records haha)

I play JC3 on a 27" 1080p monitor. And MEC-777 agree a 27" 1080p monitor is not for anyone picky about image quality lol. I've played around with the settings a bunch but haven't found a way to really get the benefit from running the game in 1440 as you do with other games like ROTTR. Not sure why. 

This game is poorly optimized overall. Even if you accept the fact that you can't get rid of aliasing, the frame rate management is still complete bs. Activating V-Sync make the game barely playable, and if you deactivate it the screen tearing is madness.

Maybe I should try from the Nvidia panel though.

Besides, I noticed some kind of checkerboard effect when meshes fade. Same in a lot of games. Never seen that before. It's like discovering video games again omg I feel stupid.

12 hours ago, daraga123 said:

1440p changes nothing for me in witcher 3

What size/resolution was your old monitor and what size is your new 1440p monitor? 

Increasing resolution doesn't help if you also increase the size of the display such that the pixel density is not significantly improved. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

This topic has gone nowhere. :)

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

4 minutes ago, Denisix said:

This is normal aliasing. The game is trying to represent high levels of detail (many fine lines) with limited pixel density. The effect always looks worse when it's trying to render fine lines that are slightly off verticle/horizontal angles. Pixels are tiny squares arranged in a grid. Trying to represent a thin line slightly off angle from the X and Y axis with pixels in a grid gives you this aliasing effect. I can demonstrate with AutoCAD using the images below.

See the grid of pixels? 

Gq13TmA.jpg

Here's a straight vertical line vs a slightly angled line. Notice how the vertical line is smooth and thin, yet the angled line is "aliased" - not smooth, has "steps" and looks a bit thicker:

KvK0gPL.jpg

Close up:

ecru0GC.jpg

Increasing the pixel density (going to a higher resolution at relative display size) is the only way to properly reduce/eliminate this effect. It is normal. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Yes I here what you say show your video of this sample..and some words

34 minutes ago, Denisix said:

Yes I here what you say show your video of this sample..and some words

I took those pictures with my phone of my screen at work. Kind of hard to film that, the camera doesn't like to focus in that close. Don't know what else you want me to say. That's what's happening and that's what you're seeing. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

So, any new revelations over the past month? xD MEC, I see you're still fighting the fight, hope all is okay buddy. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

5 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

So, any new revelations over the past month? xD MEC, I see you're still fighting the fight, hope all is okay buddy. :)

Lol, all is well of course. ;) It's frustrating when people keep posting videos showing normal aliasing effects as if it's some kind of new problem we've never seen before. 9_9

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

Lol, all is well of course. ;) It's frustrating when people keep posting videos showing normal aliasing effects as if it's some kind of new problem we've never seen before. 9_9

I'm just surprised you're still posting in here. I would've left a long time ago. xD But I figured you must be bored or something. ha

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM