Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas
2 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

As far as I'm concerned and after all the research, testing and discussions, I'm convinced that no problem exists in regards to which some here have described. We have seen no evidence to support these claims that cannot be explained by any known facts/information we have available. (we know about the LOD bias problem which is a non-issue at this point). 

There's really nothing else left to say. 

Well, I think we did determine beyond and shadow of a doubt that many games these days are rather ineffective in the way they apply AA (since my edits proved that the games can look better, even at the same resolution), and it often leads to edges that are still quite ragged, and often stick out, having whiter pixels than one would expect.  What we have not been able to prove is whether this is an "issue" only some people have, or whether the game just normally looks like that.  Personally, I'm leaning towards the latter, but in my opinion, that doesn't actually matter.  The fact is it is happening, and it's worth investigating any method that could help "solve" it.  Now whether there is anything we as end users can do to this end, or if it is something that only people like game devs and graphics card manufacturers can "fix" is another story, and might mean that there is nothing we can do, but it doesn't mean we can't raise the issue until someone (game dev, etc.) who can fix it puts in the effort and makes it happen.

That said, there have been other concerns raised as well, including games having inexplicably blocky shadows and a magical field surrounding the player that makes things render differently within than outside, and claims that these graphical issues actually get worse over time, in quantized, noticeable "steps".  The latter has been unproven thus far but I'm certainly not writing it off just yet.  As for the former, I think that certainly is a unique issue (only affects some people) since we have all seen these games ourselves, and we have seen the graphics settings of those with the issue, and by all that data, it should not be happening, and yet it does.  This too deserves further investigation, whether it means there is a flaw in the game design that causes this, or those people just need to troubleshoot one-on-one.

That's what I have to say so far :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Already posted a video to show the problem (on the Witcher 2), i could actually record a short minute gameplay of pretty much every game i own having this LOD issue (and i do have a lot!), but i don't have much time neither have a fast enough internet connection to do so.

The LOD issue is indeed a problem when people never actually experienced it that badly, while it's not the case for people who actually don't believe there is anything abnormal.

I mean, i played few games for hundred of hours, i think I would have noticed from the very beginning it was that terrible, while it was not. I replayed the whole Witcher 3 game for around 150 hours since i have noticed the issue, and you can tell there is weird "invisible bubble" drawing every detail as long as you are 5 meters away, that i've never experienced in my first playthrought, same goes for AC IV Black Flag, same goes for The Witcher 2, same goes for Sleeping Dogs, and can actually say the rest of my Steam/Origin/Uplay libraries.

Some people actually asked for videos footage from before and after, but how in hell the people concerned could have known this problem would have happen ?

And there is not only people interacting here experiencing this, i've actually joined a french topic with people having the same damn thing since they changed graphic card, updated drivers, or neither of both, all of sudden. How can you ever think we went crazy bonkers on such graphic weird rendering just like that ?

Being clueless don't mean there is not something wrong. Actually be happy to not have this issue. I don't wish it for any gamers.

^ That is an excellent video of my problem, especially in GTA V.  TXAAx4 is the best solution, but makes the graphics blurry.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add my own experience, since I have the same issue for 3 days now.

I bought a KFA2 GTX970 EXOC to replace an old (but working, haha) HD7870. Didn't noticed the issue at first, MGS5 worked fine. But things got dirty when I launched Just Cause 3. I noticed white dots in all reflections, no more antialiasing anywhere, and some thin parts were disappearing like if it was really far from me. Didn't took that as an error at first, I thought that the game was poorly optimized.

Anyway, then I launched Killing Floor 2, and I couldn't deny that there where an issue. Aliasing, and dots, everywhere.

Tested some others games, no differences.

But what killed me, it's when I put back my HD7870. God, so this story about this "hardware virus" thing I read wasn't a joke ?

I read almost all the original thread on geforce forums expecting a fix, so I came here.

And please, stop saying it's the game engine, or what the developers wanted to do. I mean, I play since years, we play since years. We're not stupid. I can see the difference between what is supposed to be here, and what is not. And since I'm playing with a 2560 x 1440 monitor, there is even less excuses about aliasing, that shouldn't be there.

I uploaded a video about Killing Floor 2 and shimmering issues here (I see them better here when in 1080p windowed)

Also attached two screenshots. You need to look at 100% size to see reflections or grass fading in dots.

However, I would be glad to add the things a found, and speculations :

- Desktop is also affected, to a lesser extent, by aliasing, and some kind of white accentuation on some edges (both are linked, I guess),

- All softwares, as 3D or Adobe Suite are affected by aliasing (this is what bother me the most actually),

- Since the installation, I hear Coil Whine. EVEN with my old card, which never had this issue.

- CPU seems to have small issues with current or something from time to time. (i5-3570K, was OC @ 4,2Ghz but not anymore since the bois update I did yesterday).

- Strange sounds coming from motherboard under load, need to check that further.

Nothing was present before, of course.

My speculations are :

- It seems that the card is in a kind of fixed-ultra-low-power mode, that force without asking lots of settings to the minimum possible, or below. The issues look a lot like the performance setting here :nd8y00.png

- I didn't see anybody talking about the windows parameters sync between computers. Maybe that could explain why laptops are sometimes infected ? Doesn't explain about consoles etc, though. The current theory is a little bit hard to believe actually.

I'm following every clue I find, can't imagine not resolving this issue.

2016-02-05_00002.jpg

jc3.jpg

EDIT : be aware that all of this look really worse when in game. Like if there were another bad filter applied right before it's sent to the screen..

Yep, it seems like this form is going to end up like all the others with people giving up and declaring that since they can't figure it out that this must be normal = BULLSHIT.  I, as well as MANY others, know for a fact that this isn't normal especially when I see in real time with my own eyes that this is not occurring on my friend's rig with the exact same hardware and settings.  I am returning all my pc components to micro center today.  I'm tired of looking at my pc just sitting there with no desire to use it. I hope to build and play again in the future when this problem hopefully gets figured out. This is insane.  Don't give in to denial simply because we don't understand what's happening. 

I've just remembered that at first launch, probably in MGS5, there were a burning smell for like a minute or so. On the moment I considered this had to be dust, but maybe something burnt on mobo ? Didn't see any artifact on screen though. Anybody experienced the same thing ?

No, and i think if that was the case, my laptop would have encounter more issues. Burning smell is definitely not a good sign generally, experienced it the hard way on my previous ROG.

And as hard it is to believe, few people actually tried to change every piece of hardware possible to figure out which could provoke this, without getting rid of it even with a new rig.

Anybody fix this with change to AMD card ? (Old card is Nvidia)

I don't think so. My old card was an AMD, and when I put it back there is no changes. And it wasn't "infected" the first time.

I was wondering, maybe we could check what are the files edited by the ENB to find something ?

Angalote is posting here if I remember correctly

Capture.thumb.PNG.bdf446dd46ff426860f696

19 minutes ago, Miscellaneous said:

I was wondering, maybe we could check what are the files edited by the ENB to find something ?

Angalote is posting here if I remember correctly

Capture.thumb.PNG.bdf446dd46ff426860f696

Except the ENB only affects that one game. Doesn't explain the issues people are claiming to have with numerous other games which remain un-modded. 

I'm running sharpshooter's classic ENB with Skyrim and don't have these shimmering issues. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Today, someone came over to trade their 980 for my R9 Fury. Remembering this thread, I tested my Fury, and ingrained pictures of Oblivion (Old game) and The Witcher 3 (New game).

I popped in the 980 to test it, and sure enough, only the colours looked duller, expected on NVIDIA, other than that, looked exactly the same.

Oblivion is a different story though. Everything looks much more aliased with the 980. Needless to say, I kept the Fury.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

1 hour ago, Noirgheos said:

Today, someone came over to trade their 980 for my R9 Fury. Remembering this thread, I tested my Fury, and ingrained pictures of Oblivion (Old game) and The Witcher 3 (New game).

I popped in the 980 to test it, and sure enough, only the colours looked duller, expected on NVIDIA, other than that, looked exactly the same.

Oblivion is a different story though. Everything looks much more aliased with the 980. Needless to say, I kept the Fury.

Were you running the exact same settings with both cards?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

Were you running the exact same settings with both cards?

Yep, no control panel settings were on. Hairworks was off for both on Witcher 3.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

16 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

But you had the aliasing issue we're talking about on your 980 ? Or you have just compared two "working" cards ?

On 2/7/2016 at 1:47 AM, Lee1990 said:

Anybody fix this with change to AMD card ? (Old card is Nvidia)

I fixed it by going to Nvidia.

16 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

Yep, no control panel settings were on. Hairworks was off for both on Witcher 3.

I've run Witcher 3 with a AMD and Nvidia card back to back. If you don't adjust the sharpness in the control panel you'll get what you saw in that game.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

59 minutes ago, App4that said:

I've run Witcher 3 with a AMD and Nvidia card back to back. If you don't adjust the sharpness in the control panel you'll get what you saw in that game.

Where did you change the sharpness ? I don't find it.

25 minutes ago, Miscellaneous said:

Where did you change the sharpness ? I don't find it.

It's in the graphics or post processing settings in the game (TW3). There is a "sharpness" slider. At the highest setting, the game looks horrible, IMO. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

So again and last time guys.

Is this shit normal? Do i really have to play with it till i get 4k monitor an better card? (started when switched from gtx 650 to r9 280)

Meybe i should open another topic with only this problem to talk about? But for what if this is normal? Have a good day.

I have that too daraga123... not it's not normal, cause it makes the game look like a pile of fuming shit. And that game isn'ìt normally a pile of fuming shit like that. Friends of mine don't have it... people at pc conventions i was don't have it. That's not the normal graphics for the game.

I just recently finished Life is Strange... and ooooh boy the shadows and the shimmering there sometimes. Shadows like on floors and people faces looked like piles of triangles swimming like a chainsaw.

*sigh*

What the hell is this is still beyond me... i've nearly given up on gaming after 20 years...

Is there any way to reduce the aliasing on the desktop ? This is the most disturbing issue for me..

I tried a lot more of my "old" games, and it looks like the issue is a lot more present on new games, like GTA, Killing Floor, Farcry, Watchdogs, Just Cause 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider... 

I guess reinstalling the game doesn't make any changes ?

2 hours ago, Miscellaneous said:

Is there any way to reduce the aliasing on the desktop ? This is the most disturbing issue for me..

I tried a lot more of my "old" games, and it looks like the issue is a lot more present on new games, like GTA, Killing Floor, Farcry, Watchdogs, Just Cause 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider... 

I guess reinstalling the game doesn't make any changes ?

I eliminated almost all aliasing effects in Rise of the Tomb Raider by running it at 1440p DSR with FXAA. 

Took these in-game (not cut scene). 

63Rp2g4.jpg

qezM4kF.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler