Corsair CX600M Review - Are all Cheap PSUs bad?

AlTech

I use the cx 750m and i've never had any problems with it .

Even with all my components overclocked and at full load ( i have a 290x btw , so that tells you how hot my pc gets), i've never had any issues with crashing or anything.

The thing is silent.

Also many proffesional reviewers , while all agreeing the capacitors aren'tg the best , usually say that voltage regulation on it is pretty good , which is better for components.

Did you even use the thing instead of relying on negative assumptions ect ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

best currency ever .

#tothemoon

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Well shit,

I'm using a CX600M for my gaming rig and now this thread has got me super paranoid that it's going to damage my system, somehow LOL

I thought it would be cool with corsair being a reputable brand and 600W is more then I would need. That or I'm dumb as fuck and need a new PSU.

@ELLYOT

Here's some solace for CX owners (including me btw for a backup box), your psu is far more likely to simply shutdown versus spontaneously combust and take every connected device with it as claimed by sporadic forum posting and wildly-unverified reviews. That's because (unfortunately) some of the CX models are rated up to 30c intake air -- and btw that's definitely not limited to Corsair's lineup. So, raise your tower off the ground, allow the psu to intake outside air (that's not right next to a heater vent), and invest in a decent air con in the summer -- talking to you Aussies. #christmasInJuly Btw, there's quite a bit of fire-supression that goes into some of these models, even the fuse is wrapped in a fire-proof rubber tube that prevents a potential spark from a blown fuse to spread to other components.

Wanna know a cool story? I'm not a stranger to blown psu's. I've actually had a blown cap in a high-end Antec TPQ-1200 model upon boot some time ago. It was being fed clean UPS power but I could certainly smell a burnt cap and a very small amount of smoke. I actually missed that model but Antec was cool about it though and replaced it with another monster HCP-1200. I've previously calculated that cranking my 280 all the way up to maximum everything and overclocking the absolute shit on my potato g3258 at 1.39v barely pushes the psu to roughly 34% load. Thankfully even at that load it still gets ~90% efficiency. Hell I could swap that out and use a $14 CX430 and it would still run fine.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

@ELLYOT

Here's some solace for CX owners (including me btw for a backup box), your psu is far more likely to simply shutdown versus spontaneously combust and take every connected device with it as claimed by sporadic forum posting and wildly-unverified reviews. That's because (unfortunately) some of the CX models are rated up to 30c intake air -- and btw that's definitely not limited to Corsair's lineup. So, raise your tower off the ground, allow the psu to intake outside air (that's not a heater vent), and invest in a decent air con in the summer -- talking to you Aussies. #christmasInJuly Btw, there's quite a bit of fire-supression that goes into some of these models, even the fuse is wrapped in a fire-proof rubber tube that prevents a potential spark from a blown fuse to spread to other components.

Wanna know a cool story? I'm not a stranger to blown psu's. I've actually had a blown cap in a high-end Antec TPQ-1200 model upon boot some time ago. It was being fed clean UPS power but I could certainly smell a burnt cap and a very small amount of smoke. I actually missed that model but Antec was cool about it though and replaced it with another monster HCP-1200. I've previously calculated that cranking my 280 all the way up to maximum everything and overclocking the absolute shit on my potato g3258 at 1.39v barely pushes the psu to roughly 34% load. Thankfully even at that load is get 90% efficiency. Hell I could swap that out and use a CX430 and it would still run fine.

Quite literally unless your using airconditioning you shouldn't even consider a version 3 CX PSU, let alone version 1 and 2. Though my CX850M is apparently able to still put out well over 800W at around 50oC, its just that the quality control and the quality of other components in it really lets it down (apart from the price that is).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

@ELLYOT

Here's some solace for CX owners (including me btw for a backup box), your psu is far more likely to simply shutdown versus spontaneously combust and take every connected device with it as claimed by sporadic forum posting and wildly-unverified reviews. That's because (unfortunately) some of the CX models are rated up to 30c intake air -- and btw that's definitely not limited to Corsair's lineup. So, raise your tower off the ground, allow the psu to intake outside air (that's not right next to a heater vent), and invest in a decent air con in the summer -- talking to you Aussies. #christmasInJuly Btw, there's quite a bit of fire-supression that goes into some of these models, even the fuse is wrapped in a fire-proof rubber tube that prevents a potential spark from a blown fuse to spread to other components.

Wanna know a cool story? I'm not a stranger to blown psu's. I've actually had a blown cap in a high-end Antec TPQ-1200 model upon boot some time ago. It was being fed clean UPS power but I could certainly smell a burnt cap and a very small amount of smoke. I actually missed that model but Antec was cool about it though and replaced it with another monster HCP-1200. I've previously calculated that cranking my 280 all the way up to maximum everything and overclocking the absolute shit on my potato g3258 at 1.39v barely pushes the psu to roughly 34% load. Thankfully even at that load it still gets ~90% efficiency. Hell I could swap that out and use a $14 CX430 and it would still run fine.

Wow thank you for that sir, great informative post, put my mind at ease.

I think a year down the line I will HAVE to invest in a better PSU as I plan on putting another GPU in my tower, at least for the time being I don't need to worry about this CX600 being a pain in the ass :lol: