Corsair CX600M Review - Are all Cheap PSUs bad?

AlTech

I mean, if he had an absolutely decrepit unit that refused to give rated wattage but, for some reason didn't cause random BSODs then sure, but yeah, I don't buy it.

If the power supply couldn't handle the load, it'd either shut off or burn itself out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If the power supply couldn't handle the load, it'd either shut off or burn itself out.

I believe motherboards can dictate how much power goes where, but yeah, more likely story is you'd get BSODs and random shutdowns.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

snipo

what psu WOULD you then recomend for like 500usd builds? I always go for the evga 500b, hows that one? or its 600w counterpart?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

what psu WOULD you then recomend for like 500usd builds? I always go for the evga 500b, hows that one? or its 600w counterpart?

XFX TS series are good.

[removed]

I still won't touch another CX***M PSU with a 10ft barge pole due to the amount of shit that my current CX850M is giving me. I'm having to use my VS650 its that bad. Though the CX850M seems to also be the only PSU that I have which can run 2x Pentium III, an FX 5500/Geforce 6200, 4x HDD and 2x ODD. All other PSU cause the graphics cards GPU to overheat and lock up. In my case cheap PSU do affect the frame rates in games. They go from 24-34FPS to 0FPS.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

XFX/Seasonic anything, EVGA B2 is currently 57 dollars on Amazon for the 750W version, Antec HCG... if the build is something like an i7 with no GPU or whatever then these are fine, though if they squished a 380X into that budget or whatever then I'd recommend stepping up to the EVGA B2 or Antec HCG.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Why do people hate corsairs CX series PSUs so much? I used a corsair CX500 to power an overclocked FX-8320,4 hard drives and a GTX 760 which is arguably WAY more than what the PSU was rated for. I used it for two years and never had a single problem. So guys, what is so bad about them? At least by buying a corsair PSU you are getting 80+ bronze rating so you know its not from some horrible power manufacturer supply like Diablotek, Coolmax or Logysis. I have had SO MANY bad experiences with those brands and none with corsair, so what is it with all the hate? I mean even Johnnyguru gave the Corsair CX430 a decent rating, so why do people hate corsairs CX series?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=214

People hate them because they're used in systems they aren't supposed to be used with. A GTX 760 is pushing it, but isn't a death wish. Also, Corsair does not manufacture the PSU like the OP said so not all Corsair PSUs are going to be good. 

IDK. I got better framerate on one than the other by about 20-40%. In games like minecraft i'm getting double the framerate i used to get.

People hate them because they're used in systems they aren't supposed to be used with. A GTX 760 is pushing it, but isn't a death wish. Also, Corsair does not manufacture the PSU like the OP said so not all Corsair PSUs are going to be good. 

Yeah. I always see these put in sub $700 builds for the wrong reasons. Linus recommended the CX430M in last year's buyers guide.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Your review just isn't adequate to support you bashing this product. No data or evidence it provided. Claiming to get better performance with a different PSU simply isn't logical. Yes, it's a cheap relatively low quality PSU, but if you want to claim that it's completely unsuitable for most builds then you'd better provide data.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Been using one for 2 years now with the specs in my sig.

No issues so far, playing modded skyrim flawlessly, gta V flawlessly, hasn't given a peep yet, survived power outages etc. :P

Put one in a system with a 970 for a friend, no issues either.

IDK. I got better framerate on one than the other by about 20-40%. In games like minecraft i'm getting double the framerate i used to get.

Never in the history of PSU's has this ever happened.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Been using one for 2 years now with the specs in my sig.

No issues so far, playing modded skyrim flawlessly, gta V flawlessly, hasn't given a peep yet, survived power outages etc. :P

Put one in a system with a 970 for a friend, no issues either.

I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD HEY MAN HOW'S IT GOING

It happened to me. 600w CX nastiness to 850w Rmi awesomeness. 

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD HEY MAN HOW'S IT GOING

Well not dead, but I did leave the forum for a good while.

Not sure if I am staying long.

Did people notice I was gone? (besides you :P )

Well not dead, but I did leave the forum for a good while.

Not sure if I am staying long.

Did people notice I was gone? (besides you :P )

No, stay here!

Also, no idea, I just noticed you did.

No, stay here!

Also, no idea, I just noticed you did.

Well, the forum is pretty much not so fun you get me? :P But I will see. Will write a user review though, check back in an hour.

I don't know, I get lower performance with all of my s370/slot 1/ super socket 7 rigs when I use cheap/generic/shitty/old PSU due to the power being supplied to the GPU being poor in quality.

PMSL

I don't know, I get lower performance with all of my s370/slot 1/ super socket 7 rigs when I use cheap/generic/shitty/old PSU due to the power being supplied to the GPU being poor in quality.

BTW @AluminiumTech, I was talking in reference to the FPS dropping to 0 and staying at that because the GPU locked up because of the shitty PSU-I've found that only a CX850M has enough on the 5V and 12V rails to power my legacy rigs-unlike nearly all other modern PSU.

PMSL

BTW @AluminiumTech, I was talking in reference to the FPS dropping to 0 and staying at that because the GPU locked up because of the shitty PSU-I've found that only a CX850M has enough on the 5V and 12V rails to power my legacy rigs-unlike nearly all other modern PSU.

Oh ok.

XFX seem to be a great budget brand, and since they are made by Seasonic, they are even better.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

XFX seem to be a great budget brand, and since they are made by Seasonic, they are even better.

Being made by Seasonic doesn't make it good.. Chicony makes terrible consumer parts but they are king in the data centre, where reliability and extremely high efficiency is all anyone cares about.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Being made by Seasonic doesn't make it good.. Chicony makes terrible consumer parts but they are king in the data centre, where reliability and extremely high efficiency is all anyone cares about.

My clevo laptop uses a Chicony PSU :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Poor 'review'. It's an opinion piece at best, and suffers from a multitude of typos and grammatical errors.

Additionally, having a lengthy warranty period is a POSITIVE sign for a product, not a negative one. If a manufacturer expects that their product is garbage and will most likely fail/break quickly, they aren't going to provide a long warranty period as they sure as hell don't want to have to honor returns/replacements. A three year warranty means that the manufacturer is confident the vast majority of their product will be worry-free for at least that amount of time.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASUS Z87-Pro | Memory: 16gigs HyperX FuryX | Cooling: Xigmatek SD1483 Frostbourne 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 | PSU: EVGA 750W Gold+ modular | Storage: 128g adata SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD | Monitor: ASUS PA238QR

80+ Bronze is perfectly fine

More than fine. I dare anyone to say my PSU is bad, and mean it for real. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.