Corsair CX600M Review - Are all Cheap PSUs bad?

AlTech

Alright, alright.

They still aren't unreliable though imo. Quite the opposite.

I need to RMA the CX850M due to its highly unstable power output, it frying a couple of HDD and a PCIe USB 3.0 card, and its abysmal coil whine that can be heard from within 10m of my house.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Alright, alright.

They still aren't unreliable though imo. Quite the opposite.

for office PCs a 15$ CX500 is good

for a gaming rig I wouldn't be caught dead doing that

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I need to RMA the CX850M due to its highly unstable power output, it frying a couple of HDD and a PCIe USB 3.0 card, and its abysmal coil whine that can be heard from within 10m of my house.

Wrong use of the word abysmal there.

But that's a shame. But then again, 1 faulty unit does not make them all bad.

Nah, doing just fine. :) Don't be silly. And what do you mean 15 dollars? That's insanely cheap, at least 76 euro here.

Also, isn't there a difference between the originial and V2 versions?

Wrong use of the word abysmal there.

But that's a shame. But then again, 1 faulty unit does not make them all bad.

Get a dictionary:

abysmal
əˈbɪzm(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: abysmal
  1. 1.
    informal
    extremely bad; appalling.
    "the quality of her work is abysmal"
    synonyms: very bad, dreadful, awful, terrible, frightful, atrocious, disgraceful, deplorable, shameful, woeful, hopeless, lamentable, laughable, substandard, poor, inadequate, inferior, unsatisfactory; More
    informalduff, chronic, a load of pants, pants;
    vulgar slangchickenshit
    "some of the teaching was abysmal"
    antonyms: superb
  2. 2.
    literary
    very deep.
    "waterfalls that plunge into abysmal depths"

And my CX850M isn't the only PSU in the entire CX line to have problems-far from it.

PMSL

Get a dictionary:

abysmal
əˈbɪzm(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: abysmal
  1. 1.
    informal
    extremely bad; appalling.
    "the quality of her work is abysmal"
    synonyms: very bad, dreadful, awful, terrible, frightful, atrocious, disgraceful, deplorable, shameful, woeful, hopeless, lamentable, laughable, substandard, poor, inadequate, inferior, unsatisfactory; More
    informalduff, chronic, a load of pants, pants;
    vulgar slangchickenshit
    "some of the teaching was abysmal"
    antonyms: superb
  2. 2.
    literary
    very deep.
    "waterfalls that plunge into abysmal depths"

And my CX850M isn't the only PSU in the entire CX line to have problems-far from it.

Abysmal normally means next-to-non-existent as far as I know ;)

Alright, believe what you want, I am just fine using them at this point in time.

Abysmal normally means next-to-non-existent as far as I know ;)

Alright, believe what you want, I am just fine using them at this point in time.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/abysmal

PMSL

Seems that the V2, is capable of withstanding up to 40c, and not 30 and THAT is I bet the reason the ones here aren't failing:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1381926/why-are-corsair-cx500-m-and-cx600-m-not-recommended/10

Very small amounts of V2's where you live perhaps?

Seems that the V2, is capable of withstanding up to 40c, and not 30 and THAT is I bet the reason the ones here aren't failing:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1381926/why-are-corsair-cx500-m-and-cx600-m-not-recommended/10

PSU get quite a bit warmer than that when you actually put them under a real load.

PMSL

PSU get quite a bit warmer than taht when you actually put them under a real load.

But still a considerable improvement over 30c anyway. :P 

V2 had the highest failure rates of all hence the existance of V3

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

And its still not high enough. In Australia for example it can quite easily reach 40oC ambient inside a well insulated house during summer.

V2 had the highest failure rates of all hence the existance of V3

V3 are improved but they still blow.

PMSL

V3 are 30*C

The only 40*C one is the SeaSonic CX400

V3 are 30*C

The only 40*C one is the SeaSonic CX400

Alright then.

Odd then, what about this review?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX600M/1.html

This is the website that I find more reliable with PSU reviews, there is more to a PSU than the capacitors that are used: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=416

PMSL

Yes, so it basically confirms my understandings, people do make a larger fuss about it than is actually needed, they aren't very good, but it's not like they will blow up on you. Thus I am not worried about it. I never said they were very good anyway, but they are made out to be dangerously unreliable. Plus that dude links to the same review I linked to..

Just found this thread and it's got me concerned!!

I've finally built my 'first' gaming rig (about 7-8 months ago now) running a CX600M.

It's powering an i5 4690K (OC to 4.2Ghz), EVGA GTx 970 SuperSuperClocked (OC 1500Mhz), 2 HDD's and a Samsung 1Tb Evo 850. Case has 4 fans + H100i cooler. All on an ASUS ROG Maximus Hero VII.

Should I be worried about my CX600M? I've had no issues at all so far and I do game fairly regularly. I also create YouTube videos, so rendering on Premier Pro hammers the CPU / GPU. I'm able to play GTAV on great settings, Skyrim, Battlefront on Ultra...

Any help?

Thank you all very much

If it breaks then Corsair can tell you that you were using it the wrong way. It wasn't meat for that kind of gaming. Just Casual gaming or office work. I saw a framerate difference between eh CX600M and my current one.

I upgraded mine cos I know for a fact I do way more than casual and frankly the CX series has a bad reputation. The first 2 versions sometimes caught fire or blew up. So far we're on the third version and nothing like that has happened. (There were 3 versions/generations of CX, 1 and 2 were extremely bad and we are on 3).

Waih wha?

Cx600m is bad?

It's like $95.

That's cheap?

3 year warranty is bad? Wha (confused)

80+ bronze efficiency is bad/ too low. WTF IM SHELL SHOCKED

I'm getting the VS450/VS550 and it will do fine. It's cheaper and has less features than the CX. No modular, no effiency rating

Lot of YouTube videos and youtubers use the CX series.

I thought trusted brands spelled great reliable. What about unbranded or NOT well known company's that sell psu's

(I'll have the cx600m if u don't want it xD) I'll pay the shipping

I don't have Paypal so there's no way you can pay for shipping.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

In fact, i found I got better framerate with my GTX 770 and i5-4570 when using an RM850i. A framerate boost which is more in line of what i expected for a GTX 770. SO that proves power delivery isn't up to scratch.

What ?

I get the same fps with a chinese 550W psu and the CX600M. In two years the chinese one caught fire the first month and the CX is still running

What the flying fuck are you talking about ? psu ? fps ??

What ?

I get the same fps with a chinese 550W psu and the CX600M. In two years the chinese one caught fire the first month and the CX is still running

What the flying fuck are you talking about ? psu ? fps ??

Unless he managed to get higher overclocks thanks to a better psu, I don't see it either. And I love your sig :D

The truth is that people here are very snobbish about their part choices, while a lot of PSU's do the job just fine.

Once upon a time, i was new to PCs and the like. When I was preparing to buy components for my first build, the reviewers

Shitposts on Corsair Power supply's whats new. 

Yeah for 99-119 dollars this PSU is not good anyone who pays that for these is overpaying like you might have and why you are hating on them that is not what there worth or what they sell for usually they go for 50-65 after sales and rebates all the time. And there quality fall in line with their pricing making them good when it fits the budget but when your budget is $1500 obviously their not recommended since you should build your budget equally when the cost of computer goes up so should almost all the components a $600 dollar build with a CX Series Power supply is not some holy shit terrible thing.

Also as manys have said you wouldn't get better FPS with a better PS you would probably get chrases/BSODs all the time if that was your problem. i Did a budget build and power a R9 290 overclocked with a CX 750 and so far been going strong no problems.