Vozella

Good for you.

Maybe not all have the same as you? Speed, mobo, wireless router etc...

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

Your Mileage May Vary..

My computer is in the room next to my router, when I use a pretty decent USB 3.0 WIFI card I get about 30 download/10 upload.

Ethernet gets me 60 download/60 upload consistently.

It's totally a situation thing, whether you're near a WAP or not.

Also, I get lots of latency on WiFi. I mean like, adds ~30 ping to my CS:GO endeavors.

I used to be quite active here.

How come it doesn't matter whether my internet connection is plugged in through an ethernet cable or connected through my motherboards wifi?

My speeds are the same either way.

WiFi interference from neighbours. Concrete walls.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Wired connections can give greater reliability and using WiFi can cause interference. Additionally, if you're in an area where WiFi is used a lot, your connection can be slow and unreliable due to devices talking over each other on a given channel. Wireless signals can be unreliable due to things like walls and other wireless signals.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Have you ever tried local file transfers over WiFi instead of hardwire? The speed difference is huge. 

How do I do that?

How come it doesn't matter whether my internet connection is plugged in through an ethernet cable or connected through my motherboards wifi?

Lower Latency with Ethernet. ANd higher bandwidth. 

The opposite is true for wireless.

For gaming, it's wired or nothing.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

How do I do that?

Create a shared folder or drive on a PC, then access it from another PC and transfer a movie or something. (or you can create a shared USB drive on your router, or use a NAS for local network storage). If you have a permanent or somewhat regularly used local network storage solution, WiFi simply isn't good enough for file transfers. 

My wireless caps out at 8MB/s, whereas I get 120MB/s with hardwire. 

Because not everyone has state of the art Wifi.

Because people want to have the advantage of lower ping when gaming.

There are many pros and cons to both. But there's a lot less stuff that can go wrong with wired connection.

Generally over any kind of wireless connection both Latency and Upload are worse than a wired connection.

WiFi latency can be an issue. Wireless interference can be an issue. Snooping a wired network requires access to the network. Wireless is convenient, but not as stable.  I prefer wired connections, but I currently use my PC wirelesslly because I can't properly wire the house I am living in.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Because your internet is too slow for the benefits of a wired connection to become evident.

Because your internet is too slow for the benefits of a wired connection to become evident.

I'm surprised you were the only one who said this. Unless you have an awesome connection or very, very crap WiFi your internet is always going to be the bottleneck. It's kinda like asking why people buy high end GPUs when you can't see the difference between a 960 and a 980 on a 720p HDTV.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I'm surprised you were the only one who said this. Unless you have an awesome connection or very, very crap WiFi your internet is always going to be the bottleneck. It's kinda like asking why people buy high end GPUs when you can't see the difference between a 960 and a 980 on a 720p HDTV.

lm0qMfE.png

Ok, diagram time. Lets assume N300 (single band, ~70Mbps) with everything connected at full speed just to make this neater. The scenario is you have a 60Mbps internet connection and are using that do download some update to your phone. At the same time someone is streaming a 1080p video (~15Mbps) from a file server to a laptop or something. While this is happening you're using a Steam Link to remotely play Rocket League or something (~20Mbps). Not an outlandish scenario, probably something that happens every day for some people.

Firstly with everything connected via WiFi except the file server and internet. All of those dotted lines are sharing that 70Mbps. Some of them will be automatically shaped by your AP. What's likely to happen is everything will slow down to ~15Mbps. Causing serious issues with Steam in-home-streaming.

untitled.png'

Now with wired and I think the advantage here should be pretty obvious. These things could be pushing 500Mbps each and not worry each other:

untitled.png

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Ok, What's your point ?

That is megabit per second?

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD