Bending Skylake CPU's #BendGate

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Oh look, if you over-tighten your cooler you break shit. Anyone that flips out over this is a fucking idiot.

Idk if it's because they did that, on the picture you can see how the CPU plate is wayyy thinner than the other CPU's

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

They used a power drill to install thier cooler. That's what happens when you over tighten this stuff

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Oooh look, now some Techtubers that have a Skylake processor are going to bend them for a video and gonna get all kinds of views and money from it, just like the iPhone Bendgate.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if I saw these kind of videos pop up now.

This article kind of blows and is based ENTIRELY on anecdotal evidence, and nothing factual. 

And they even say that they tightened the cooler with an electric screwdriver. So, essentially, you have no idea how much force is being applied. 

Terrible article attempting to incite some fear, in hopes that people will pick up on it and bring views to their website. Sigh.

ugh this is the 4th time this has been posted in the last 24 hours, i have a 6700k and i'm not at all worried, why? Because if this a real problem there would have been hell on earth for intel right now. But there's not, because the only people who have bent there CPU's are the people who are tightening the s**t out of there cpu cooler. So to sumerise, dont be a moroan and you wont have a problem :D

"Hey look! I'm going to crank the absolute shit out of these screw to see what happens. Awwwwww, man! It bent my CPU!"

<_<  <_<  <_<

No-shit, Sherlock. You do idiot stuff, idiot things will happen.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Just don't carry your Skylake CPU in your back pocket.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

What a bunch of fucking morons.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

People like to fuss over the smallest things nowadays lmao

Actually this is quite a big deal... Especially with OEMs. It is a stupid mistake like early x99 boards with the ASUS sockets that didn't allow the CPU to sit properly in the socket. Hopefully Intel fixes this fast.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

What a bunch of fucking morons.

Who?

Actually this is quite a big deal... Especially with OEMs. It is a stupid mistake like early x99 boards with the ASUS sockets that didn't allow the CPU to sit properly in the socket. Hopefully Intel fixes this fast.

Has anyone had the same problem that wasn't using a power drill to install a cooler? 

Has anyone had the same problem that wasn't using a power drill to install a cooler? 

First time builders that might over-tighten there cooler thinking it will result in better temperatures? System builders who are shipping units over long distances, because last thing they want is the cooler falling off and destroying everything it hits? OEMs who most of the time might use electric screw drivers in a production line to speed up assembly? 

It is not just us who build systems and know not to over tighten them but more about the stuff I mentioned before and just long term stability over time. I will admit this is not something easy to miss like the x99 BS so as long as manufactures address this soon I don't see it being a big deal.

I think them old Intel boxes says to be installed by a professional only. Maybe Intel need to put that message back onto their boxes.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I think them old Intel boxes says to be installed by a professional only. Maybe Intel need to put that message back onto their boxes.

Lol I guess so :P

i wonder how much Intel saved per chip, shaving off 0.3mm of substrate thickness

1 billion dollars :P

any0py.jpg

From this image, cpu in the socket, with the metal socket cover going on top of the cpu, locked in by the socket lever. Then cpu cooler goes on top of that. CPU cooler create massive amounts of pressure, that the corners of the cpu bend upwards?! I thought the metal socket cover, holds the cpu in place, so it would be impossible for the cpu to bend like that?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Also don't coolers have a backplate which you tighten to? Mine did and the pressure is on the backplate. I have no idea how the CPU would bend like that. Also using electric drills to tighten sensible stuff is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Who?

The person who wrote that, and people that use a fucking drill to tighten their coolers.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313