Steam Controller

Really nice review, thanks for the time and effort you put into getting to know this controller. It makes my job thinking about the pro's and con's when buying a lot easier.. Thanks again Slick ;)

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

They said they would do a proper review of the steam controller where is it? They said they would give opinions of people who are coming to Lukes house and playing....... 

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

I actually own a steam controller myself, I bought it on launch day (Nov 10th) and I want to give my feedback on what I agree and don't agree with about this review:

What I do not agree with:

• The build quality or how it felt cheap. This controller doesn't feel cheap to me, I don't know why Luke or other reviewers keep saying this. Yes, it's made of plastic, BUT WHAT ISN'T?! Your case has plastic, your monitor, and even the keyboard you or I am typing on. This isn't the first controller I've held, the steam controller feels tactile and solid, it doesn't squeak no matter how hard I put pressure on it. My dualshock 3 made by Sony however, does. Using 60% strength, the dualshock 3 squeaks, and doesn't make me feel confident. The Steam Controller just won't give in to that. I feel as if I could throw the controller and it would be fine. The weight with batteries feels nice
  • The glossy plastic look. Again, back to the plastic, everything has it. Everything. So do high-end peripherals, and even my naga 2012 has the same plastic accent marks as the S.C. Then again, it comes down to personal opinion about what you like. And no, the plastic is not a fingerprint magnet, as my fingertips did not touch them
  • Not talking about the customizability more. This is the defining feature of the steam controller! Being able to turn the touchpads into scrollwheels, trackballs, or even a joystick. Being able to remap every single last button to your heart's content, and even using modifiers to change a button's action when another is held down. The triggers have two stages, adding more buttons. The gyro wasn't mentioned, when it's really useful for more accurate aiming.
  • How odd the ABXY buttons are located. If you think about the 360's or One's left half, the D-pad's in a similar position to the ABXY buttons on the S.C, but no one complains about that. No one complains about moving his thumb to reach the D-pad. Oh a D-pad and action buttons are different you say? Look at the wii U pro controller. Joystick up top, ABXY buttons on the bottom. Do I need to say more?
  • Tinkering is optional. While yes, you can grab a community profile, for me, it didn't work like that. Half the time, I ended up spending 2-3 mins (yes, really, that little time!) creating my own bindings. If I did use a community or the recommended profile, I found that something was always wrong, like the sensitivity, and I would do a minor tweak. No profile will suit everyone, and minor adjustments will be made. In fact, using the controller more made me think about more optimal bindings. For example, when I first got the controller, I'd map reload to the right grip. As I played with it more, I realized that I don't need to be able to access my right trigger and reload at the same time, as I can only use one function at a time. I learned that I should remap reload to RB because it made more sense to me, and I did.
What I did agree with:
  • How good the haptics feel. Unfortunately, my sense of touch is a little bit poor, and I think that the haptics are alright.... The haptics do give me the illusion of something moving, but nowhere near how a REAL trackball really moves. The haptics on the dual-stage triggers are amazing, and can really tell you when you've hit the full or soft pull point.
  • Playing at a desk has a better option/S.C isn't a KBmouse replacement/using this as an alternative/S.C in the living room is better than KBmouse. If I had to choose between a KBmouse and the steam controller, KBmouse wins. Maybe I've used it longer, maybe I like aiming with my whole arm instead of just my thumb. I don't know. but Luke is right about how the S.C isn't a KBmouse replacement, think of it as an alternative. A keyboard has way more buttons, a mouse is a little easier to aim, and doesn't have as steep a learning curve. But the S.C. has its rightful place in the living room. Truly! Before I bought an S.C., I moved my whole X51 to my TV, with my KBmouse. And it's cumbersome to use. I'd have to prop my KB on my lap, and that wasn't too bad. Before discover I could use my lap, I hunched forward, putting my keyboard on my coffee table, and that was a serious strain. No matter what, I had to get a second table for my mouse and pad. It worked well enough, but the whole setup took up a lot of space and there was a huge cable reaching across my living room. And when I want to get up, I have to take the KB off my lap or move the KB's table away to leave. Ugh! The S.C was much easier, put it down, get up. Simple.
  • Playing games like Civ 5 on the TV when you couldn't before. Yes! Referring back to KBmouse in the living room, it's cumbersome. And playing something like Civ or simcities is difficult with a controller because there's no mouse control. The S.C. truly is the best combo here!
  • Using the controller more, and getting some practice. Yes, you need to spend time with this controller, not everyone's used to trackpads, and it's usually on a laptop, so seeing two on a controller can be intimidating, but you will get better, and it will be useful
  • The price. For 50 bucks american, that's about 10 bucks less than other first party controllers. The battery life you get out of this thing is fantastic, again, I bought it Nov 10, I'm writing this at Dec 4, and the batteries have not died on me. And valve went through a LOT of research and development (2 whole years), and we should be lucky they didn't charge more
More of my own thoughts:

Thank you Luke, for putting time into this review, I don't care that the review took a while. All I care about is that you actually took the time to use, learn, and play with it. Thank you for opening your mind, and not being grumpy and saying "oh this controller is just a rehash for some quick money, why did they do this, throw it away"

UNLIKE AUSTIN EVANS. Good lord, that review was one of the worst reviews of anything I've ever seen. His review was:

• Product Overview
  • Him using it as a joystick controller (which is only good for twin-stick shooters and nothing else), and telling you it sucks.
  • Moving onto the one elite controller
  • Him telling you it sucks again in the conclusion.
Austin Evans, if you are reading this, REDO YOUR STEAM CONTROLLER REVIEW. While I like his short videos, it was not NEARLY enough cover the steam controller, especially if you're going to put a whole other controller into it. No talk about customizability, haptics, how the rear grips added more functionality, practically no positives about the steam controller.

/rant

Who do I think should buy it?

I'll tell you who shouldn't buy it: Casual players. The ones that play for like an hour a week, or when his/her cousin comes over. These people will hate it.

If you want to use this controller you need:

• Patience
  • A will to experiment and customize
  • More patience
If you don't have these things, leave this page, and go back to whatever you were using, because the Steam Controller IS NOT FOR YOU.

Back to the original question, it's most likely going to be the gamers who like to build and rebuild PCs, the ones that like to mod games and even hardware like cases. The tinkerers, the ones who like to mess with stuff and those who want to reverse engineer (taking stuff apart and putting it back together to see how it works)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

guess im getting the steam controller :D

Remember to practice with it and don't get frustrated.

One last thing: Customize, customize, customize!

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Replacing the Dpad with a touchpad was a terrible idea, but having only one touchpad would violate the "controllers must be symmetrical unless you want people to think you are madcatz" rule.

Plus if they tried to have a normal controller layout with an added touchpad they would be criticised for basically making a dualshock 4.

It really screams out as a controller where they made it different just for the sake of being different.

Either way its a bit pointless for me personally, I use a keyboard and mouse for shooters, RTS and grand strategy, and then a dualshock for everything else. Removal of the Dpad just doesn't work for me at all.

I think the touchpads are a pretty good idea in my opinion. One of my main problems with the 360 controller I currently use is that in many games the camera movement gains momentum when using the analogue sticks and I find it hard to get used to when there is a much more accurate keyboard and mouse in front of me.

Failed to load signature. Error 404 - Witty comment not found

Remember to practice with it and don't get frustrated.

One last thing: Customize, customize, customize!

quick question have you tried the gyro feature and have you played rocket league on it?

Does anyone know of a way to connect the steam controller to an android phone/tablet for gamestream? Seems like the perfect controller for it.

also, yay first post

Does anyone know of a way to connect the steam controller to an android phone/tablet for gamestream? Seems like the perfect controller for it.

also, yay first post

The best app would be moonlight, but you need a gtx 650 or better, no AMD. I tried it on my S5 and it overheated and the experience was shit. Buy a Shield device or a steam link if possible

quick question have you tried the gyro feature and have you played rocket league on it?

Yes to both

The gyro I'm trying to learn and it's quite accurate, I have to tune my hands to use it though. One problem is that when I get startled, I jerk the controller and my aim goes everywhere

Rocket league is great. I use the gamepad template, but clicking in the right pad is mapped to X, LG is A, and RG is B. I tried the dual stage triggers for it and it didn't work for me

Replacing the Dpad with a touchpad was a terrible idea, but having only one touchpad would violate the "controllers must be symmetrical unless you want people to think you are madcatz" rule.

Plus if they tried to have a normal controller layout with an added touchpad they would be criticised for basically making a dualshock 4.

It really screams out as a controller where they made it different just for the sake of being different.

Either way its a bit pointless for me personally, I use a keyboard and mouse for shooters, RTS and grand strategy, and then a dualshock for everything else. Removal of the Dpad just doesn't work for me at all.

They didn't remove the Dpad in any way, shape, or form. The left track pad has indentations and then you can map it to a Dpad. It doesn't have the same tactile feedback as another controller, but for switching weapons it works really well.

The best app would be moonlight, but you need a gtx 650 or better, no AMD. I tried it on my S5 and it overheated and the experience was shit. Buy a Shield device or a steam link if possible

I know about moonlight, and it's what I use to stream to my phone every now and again. I was wondering if the steam controller works if plugged into an android device, or if someone is making a third party app. I rarely use gamestream right now though cause I kinda hate the ps3 controller but it's all I have.

• Playing at a desk has a better option/S.C isn't a KBmouse replacement/using this as an alternative/S.C in the living room is better than KBmouse. If I had to choose between a KBmouse and the steam controller, KBmouse wins. 

Great review overall very informative to read

However this point - playing at a desk etc - it really depends on the game, I always game at my desk, but half the games I play, I use a 360 pad, games like GTA, Mad Max, MGS V,  Assassins Creed  etc etc - I play these with a controller

so its hard to say keyboard/mouse its always the best option, when for same games I feel a controller is superior

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i have a nice experience in the past with touchpads laptops

so... i think i would like (a lot) this new STEAM controller

great review Luke  ^_^

They didn't remove the Dpad in any way, shape, or form. The left track pad has indentations and then you can map it to a Dpad. It doesn't have the same tactile feedback as another controller, but for switching weapons it works really well.

indentations on a flat surface do not constitute a Dpad. Even if it does have 'tactile feedback' in the form of vibration it's never going to be as tactile as physical buttons. With a real Dpad you can immediately feel which button is depressed and its a lot harder to miss.

indentations on a flat surface do not constitute a Dpad. Even if it does have 'tactile feedback' in the form of vibration it's never going to be as tactile as physical buttons. With a real Dpad you can immediately feel which button is depressed and its a lot harder to miss.

Ok yeah, the tactile feedback on the Steam controller isn't as good as another controller, but using the indentations and some muscle memory, I can tell where on the Dpad I have to press to perform actions, and my thumb doesn't miss or need additional guidence

I was looking forward to this review but it didn't address a few things I've been wondering about before I buy it.  Particularly how does it fair for games that you WOULD use a controller for at a desk.  Things like Dark Souls or arcade games/platformers etc.  Another comparison that was missing is regardless of where you are, how does it fair for gaming vs an xbox controller.  You mentioned liking an xbox controller better for driving... but why??  What made the steam controller not as good for this type of game?  Also, I didn't hear about a comparison with the xbox controller vs shooters, only that keyboard and mouse are better (obviously!!  the info we should get is if the steam controller is better than other controllers at this stuff!)  You mention that the buttons are in an odd place, but how did this affect your gaming?  Why didn't you prefer it for over the shoulder games and was this compared to keyboard and mouse or an xbox controller???  I usually play those with an xbox controller so I'm really curious if the steam controller is better than it or not.  

I've been hoping for a decent review of the steam controller but every one seems to be the same.  I guess trying it is the only way to really know if it's right for you.

I love the controller so far. It's the best controller I've ever used for PC as far as compatibility goes. However, two features are missing. The ability to power on your PC by pushing the steam logo button on the controller and the ability to use the keyboard feature in the desktop mode.

I was looking forward to this review but it didn't address a few things I've been wondering about before I buy it.  Particularly how does it fair for games that you WOULD use a controller for at a desk.  Things like Dark Souls or arcade games/platformers etc.  Another comparison that was missing is regardless of where you are, how does it fair for gaming vs an xbox controller.  You mentioned liking an xbox controller better for driving... but why??  What made the steam controller not as good for this type of game?  Also, I didn't hear about a comparison with the xbox controller vs shooters, only that keyboard and mouse are better (obviously!!  the info we should get is if the steam controller is better than other controllers at this stuff!)  You mention that the buttons are in an odd place, but how did this affect your gaming?  Why didn't you prefer it for over the shoulder games and was this compared to keyboard and mouse or an xbox controller???  I usually play those with an xbox controller so I'm really curious if the steam controller is better than it or not.  

I've been hoping for a decent review of the steam controller but every one seems to be the same.  I guess trying it is the only way to really know if it's right for you.

I've had it for about a week now. I used to use an Xbox One controller. In my opinion, the Steam Controller is better at every single thing. You just have to take the time to get used to the button layout, get the mappings you like, set up the track pad properly for the game you are playing and then get used to the track pad. I'm used to the buttons now but but I've definitely still getting used to the track pad but I've improved my aiming. Everyone says the gyro is better for precise aiming, but I'm struggling to get used to it. I always turn my body instead of the controller haha.

Games I've played so far that work better on the Steam Controller compared to the Xbox One controller: Dragon Age: Inquistion, BF4, CS:GO, Metro: Last Light, Witcher 2, Half-Life's, COD4. 

I love the controller so far. It's the best controller I've ever used for PC as far as compatibility goes. However, two features are missing. The ability to power on your PC by pushing the steam logo button on the controller and the ability to use the keyboard feature in the desktop mode.

You can customize how the controller acts on your desktop now, so you can change it to whatever you like