Advent Of Code - 25 challenges for December

madknight3

Check out Advent Of Code if you're interested in getting a daily coding challenge from December 1st to December 25th. Found out about this here and thought it looked fun. It pairs great with the other advent calendars out there that provide you with food/beverage!

The first problem is available and is simple enough for beginners. Any programming language is allowed.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the problems, ask for help, show off your solutions, etc.

This is actually pretty awesome. I've been teaching C++ to a high school robotics team so this actually might be an interesting way to get them to practice problem solving with C++.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Can't tell if I'm horrible and don't understand the first question or the submission checker is broken.

edit: nevermind...don't use notepad for pasting the input.

That was pretty fun I did the two challenges for today

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

the second part is a little frustrating but the first part is easy

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

It would be interesting to see how people solve these.  Maybe tomorrow people can start adding in there methodology on how they solved them.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Just finished the first challenge in Python. Only took 3 lines of code LOL. Thanks for sharing this though, great thing to do in your spare time daily and to put onto your Github portfolio.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

I solved these a while ago but I was playing around with more methods of solving them in C++ and it seems that console isn't capable of taking a 7000 character input. At least I think its the console that's the limitation.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Welp I can't even solve the first challenge. No idea how to successively count characters.

a little pseudo code

for (int i = 0; i < text.length(); ++i){   if (text[i] == "(")   {      ++UpCount;   }   else   {      ++downCount;   }}return upCount - downCount;

I solved these a while ago but I was playing around with more methods of solving them in C++ and it seems that console isn't capable of taking a 7000 character input. At least I think its the console that's the limitation.

Luckily for us programmers we don't have to use the command line input for everything.

a little pseudo code

-snip-

Note you can keep track of everything in one variable instead of two.

Luckily for us programmers we don't have to use the command line input for everything.

Note you can keep track of everything in one variable instead of two.

Luckily we can xD

I know. I just wanted to keep it very self explanatory so that I don't make him any more confused that he already is :) 

Just finished the first challenge in Python. Only took 3 lines of code LOL. Thanks for sharing this though, great thing to do in your spare time daily and to put onto your Github portfolio.

3? Sure you can't do it in 1 with Python? :P

3? Sure you can't do it in 1 with Python? :P

It goes over the suggested character limit for a single line by a few chars...but I think it's ok.

print(sum(map(lambda x: 1 if x == '(' else -1, '()()(()()()(()()((()((()))((()((((()()((((()))()((((())(((((((()(((((((((()(((())(()()(()((()()(()(())(()((((()((()()()((((())((((((()(()(((()())(()((((()))())(())(()(()()))))))))((((((((((((()())()())())(())))(((()()()((((()(((()(()(()()(()(()()(()(((((((())(())(())())))((()())()((((()()((()))(((()()()())))(())))((((())(((()())(())(()))(()((((()())))())((()(())(((()((((()((()(())())))((()))()()(()(()))))((((((((()())((((()()((((()(()())(((((()(()())()))())(((()))()(()(()(()((((()(())(()))(((((()()(()()()(()(((())())(((()()(()()))(((()()(((())())(()(())())()()(())()()()((()(((()(())((()()((())()))((()()))((()()())((((()(()()(()(((()))()(()))))((()(((()()()))(()(((())()(()((()())(()(()()(()())(())()(((()(()())()((((()((()))))())()))((()()()()(())()())()()()((((()))))(()(((()()(((((((())()))()((((()((())()(()())(())()))(()(()())(((((((())))(((()))())))))()))())((())(()()((())()())()))))()((()()())(())((())((((()())())()()()(((()))())))()()))())(()()()(()((((((()()))())()))()(((()(((())((((()()()(()))())()()))))())()))())((())()())(((((())())((())())))(((())(((())(((((()(((((())(()(()())())(()(())(()))(()((((()))())()))))())))((()(()))))())))(((((())()))())()))))()))))(((()))()))))((()))((()((()(()(())()())))(()()()(())()))()((((())))))))(())(()((()()))(()))(()))(()((()))))))()()((((()()))()())()))))))()()()))(()((())(()))((()()()())()(((()((((())())))()((((()(()))))))())))()()())()))(()))))(()())()))))))((())))))))())()))()((())())))(()((()))()))(())))))(()))()())()()))((()(()))()()()()))))())()()))())(())()()))()))((()))))()()(()())))))()()()))((((()))()))))(()(())))(()())))((())())(()))()))))()())))()())()())))))))))()()))))())))((())((()))))())))(((()())))))))(()))()()))(()))()))))()())))))())((((()())))))))())))()()))))))))()))()))))()))))))(())))))))))())))))))))))))))())())((())))))))))()))((())))()))))))))())()(()))))))())))))()()()())()(()()()(()())(()))()()()(()())))())())))()))))())))))))()()()()())(())())()())()))))(()()()()()))))()))())())))((()())()())))()))()))))(()())))()))))))))(((()))()()))))))))))))))))))))(()))(()((()))())))())(()))(()(()(())))))()(()))()))()()))))))))))))()((()())(())())()(())))))())()())((()()))))(()()))))())()(())()))))))))))))))))))))()))(()(()())))))))()()((()))()))))))((())))()))))))))((()))())()()))())()()))((()))())))))))))))(()())()))(())((()(()()))(()())(())))()())(()(())()()))))()))()(()))))))(()))))))))))(()))())))))))))())))))())))(())))))()))))(())())))))))))()(()))))()())))())(()))()())))))))))))))())()()))))()))))))())))))()))))(())(()()()()((())()))())(()))((())()))())())(())(()()))))()))(())()()((())(())))(())))()))())))))))))()(((((())())))(())()))))(())))((()))()(((((((()))))()()))(())))))()(()))))(()()))()))())))))))(()())()))))))))())))(()))())()))(())()((())())()())())(()(()))))()))))))((()())(())()()(()())))()()))(())(())(()))())))()))(()))()()))((((()))))()))((()()()))))()))()))())))(()))()))))(())))()))())()(()))()())))())))))))())))())))()()))))))(()))())())))()))()()())())))))))))))))())))()))(()()))))())))())()(())))())))))))))))))))))()()())())))))()()()((()(()))()()(())()())()))()))))()()()))))))((()))))))))()(()(()((((((()()((()())))))))))))()))())))))((())())(()))())))())))))())()()())(())))())))()())())(())))))))()()(())))()))())))())())())()))))))))()))(()()()())())())))(())())))))))()()())()))))())))())()(())())))))))()())()))(()()(())())))()(()((()()((()()(((((())(()())()))(())()))(())))(())))))))()))()))((()))()))()))))))))()))))))))((()()())(()))(((()))(())))()))((())(((())))()())))())))))((())))))(())())((((((())())()(()))()(()((()())))((())()(()(()))))(())(()()())(())))())((()(((())())))(((()())())))())()(())())((((()()))))())((()))()()()()(())(((((((()()()((()))())(()())))(())())((((()()(()))))()((())))((())()))()(((()))())))()))((()(()))(())(()((((())((((()()(()()))(((())(()))))((((()(()))(())))))((()))(()))((()(((()(()))(()(()((()(())(()(()(()(()()((()))())(((())(()(()))))(()))()()))(())))(())()(((())(()))()((((()()))))())(()))))((())()((((()(((()))())())(((()))()())((())(())())(())()(())()(()()((((((()()))))()()(((()()))))()())()(((()(()))(()(()())(()(()))))(((((()(((())())))))(((((()((()()((())())((((((()(())(()()((()()()()()()()(()()))()(((()))()))(((((((())(((()((()())()((((())(((()(())))()((()(()()()((())((()())()))()))())))())((((((()))(()(()()()))(()((()(()(()))()((()(((()()()((())(((((())()(()))())())((()(())))(()(()())(())((())())())(((()()()(())))))())(()))))))()))))))())((()()()))((()((((((()))(((()((((()()()(((()))())()(()()(((()((()()()()())()()))()()()(()(())((()))))(()))())))))))()(()()(((((())()(()(((((()((()(()()())(()((((((((()((((((())()((((()()()((()((()((((((()))((())))))))())()))((()(()))()(()()(()((())((()()((((((((((((()())(()()()))((((()((((((())(()))())(()()((()()))()(((((((()((()()((((((()(((())))((())))((((((((()()(((((((())(((((()())(((())((())()((((()(((((((()(()(((()((((((()(((()(((((((((((()()((()()(()))((()()(((()(((())))((((())()(()(((())()(()(((())(((((((((((()))())))((((((())((()()((((()())())((((()()))((())(((((()(()()(()()()((())(()((()()((((()(((((()((()(()((((()())((((((()(((((()()(()(()((((())))(())(())(())((((()(()()((((()((((()()((()((((((())))(((((()))))()))(()((((((((()(((())())(((())))(()(()((())(((()((()()(((((()((()()(((())()(()))(((((((())(()(((((()))((()((()((()))(())())((((()((((())()(()))(((()(((((((((((((((())(((((((((()))(((()(()()()()((((((()((())()((((((((()(())(((((((((((()(()((())()((()()(()(()()((((()()((())(()((()()(()()((((()(((((((())))((((())(())()(((()()((()()((((()((()(((()((())(((()()()((((()((((()()(()(()((((((((())(()(((((())(()())(((((((()())()(()((((()((())(()()())((((()()(((()((((())(())(()()(((((((((()()))()(((())(()(()((((((())(()()())(()))()()(((()(((()((())(()(((((((()(()(()((()(((((()(()((()(()((((((()((((()()((((()(((()((())(()(()((()()((((()()(())()(())(((())(()((((((((()())(((((((((()(())()((((())))()))()()(((((()()((((((())(()()(((()(()(((((((()(()(((((((())(())((((()((()(())))((((()()())(()))((()())((((()(((((()(()(())(()(()()())(((((()(((((()((((()()((((((((()()))(()((((((())((((())()(()(((()()()(((()(()(())(())(((((()(())())((((())(())(()(((()(((((())((((())())((()(((((((()(((())(()(()))(((((((((()((()((()()(()((((())(((()((())((((())(()(((()(((()(()((((()(((())(()(((()(()()(()(()((()()(()())(())())((()(()(((()(((()(((()()(((((((((()(((((((((()()(((()(((()())((((()(()(((()()()((())((((((((((())(()(((()((((()())((((()((()))(((()()()(((((()(((((((())((()())(()((((())((((((((())(()((()((((((((((()()((()((()()))(((()())()())()(((()())()()(()(()(((((((())()))(())()))())()()((())()((()((((()((()((())(((((()((((((()(())))(()))())(((()))((()()(()(((()))((((())()(((()))))()(()(())()(((((())(()(()(())(())()((()()()((((()(())((()())(()(()))(()(()(()()(())()()(()((())()((()))))()))((()(()()()()((()())(()))())()(()(((((((((())())((()((()((((((())()((((())(((())((()(()()()((())(()((())(((()((((()()((()(()(((((())()))()((((((()))((())(((()()))(((())(())()))(((((((())(())())()(())(((((()))()((()))()(()()((()()()()()())((((((('))) 
print([sum(n[:i]) for n in [list(map(lambda x: 1 if x == '(' else -1, '()()(()()()(()()((()((()))((()((((()()((((()))()((((())(((((((()(((((((((()(((())(()()(()((()()(()(())(()((((()((()()()((((())((((((()(()(((()())(()((((()))())(())(()(()()))))))))((((((((((((()())()())())(())))(((()()()((((()(((()(()(()()(()(()()(()(((((((())(())(())())))((()())()((((()()((()))(((()()()())))(())))((((())(((()())(())(()))(()((((()())))())((()(())(((()((((()((()(())())))((()))()()(()(()))))((((((((()())((((()()((((()(()())(((((()(()())()))())(((()))()(()(()(()((((()(())(()))(((((()()(()()()(()(((())())(((()()(()()))(((()()(((())())(()(())())()()(())()()()((()(((()(())((()()((())()))((()()))((()()())((((()(()()(()(((()))()(()))))((()(((()()()))(()(((())()(()((()())(()(()()(()())(())()(((()(()())()((((()((()))))())()))((()()()()(())()())()()()((((()))))(()(((()()(((((((())()))()((((()((())()(()())(())()))(()(()())(((((((())))(((()))())))))()))())((())(()()((())()())()))))()((()()())(())((())((((()())())()()()(((()))())))()()))())(()()()(()((((((()()))())()))()(((()(((())((((()()()(()))())()()))))())()))())((())()())(((((())())((())())))(((())(((())(((((()(((((())(()(()())())(()(())(()))(()((((()))())()))))())))((()(()))))())))(((((())()))())()))))()))))(((()))()))))((()))((()((()(()(())()())))(()()()(())()))()((((())))))))(())(()((()()))(()))(()))(()((()))))))()()((((()()))()())()))))))()()()))(()((())(()))((()()()())()(((()((((())())))()((((()(()))))))())))()()())()))(()))))(()())()))))))((())))))))())()))()((())())))(()((()))()))(())))))(()))()())()()))((()(()))()()()()))))())()()))())(())()()))()))((()))))()()(()())))))()()()))((((()))()))))(()(())))(()())))((())())(()))()))))()())))()())()())))))))))()()))))())))((())((()))))())))(((()())))))))(()))()()))(()))()))))()())))))())((((()())))))))())))()()))))))))()))()))))()))))))(())))))))))())))))))))))))))())())((())))))))))()))((())))()))))))))())()(()))))))())))))()()()())()(()()()(()())(()))()()()(()())))())())))()))))())))))))()()()()())(())())()())()))))(()()()()()))))()))())())))((()())()())))()))()))))(()())))()))))))))(((()))()()))))))))))))))))))))(()))(()((()))())))())(()))(()(()(())))))()(()))()))()()))))))))))))()((()())(())())()(())))))())()())((()()))))(()()))))())()(())()))))))))))))))))))))()))(()(()())))))))()()((()))()))))))((())))()))))))))((()))())()()))())()()))((()))())))))))))))(()())()))(())((()(()()))(()())(())))()())(()(())()()))))()))()(()))))))(()))))))))))(()))())))))))))())))))())))(())))))()))))(())())))))))))()(()))))()())))())(()))()())))))))))))))())()()))))()))))))())))))()))))(())(()()()()((())()))())(()))((())()))())())(())(()()))))()))(())()()((())(())))(())))()))())))))))))()(((((())())))(())()))))(())))((()))()(((((((()))))()()))(())))))()(()))))(()()))()))())))))))(()())()))))))))())))(()))())()))(())()((())())()())())(()(()))))()))))))((()())(())()()(()())))()()))(())(())(()))())))()))(()))()()))((((()))))()))((()()()))))()))()))())))(()))()))))(())))()))())()(()))()())))())))))))())))())))()()))))))(()))())())))()))()()())())))))))))))))())))()))(()()))))())))())()(())))())))))))))))))))))()()())())))))()()()((()(()))()()(())()())()))()))))()()()))))))((()))))))))()(()(()((((((()()((()())))))))))))()))())))))((())())(()))())))())))))())()()())(())))())))()())())(())))))))()()(())))()))())))())())())()))))))))()))(()()()())())())))(())())))))))()()())()))))())))())()(())())))))))()())()))(()()(())())))()(()((()()((()()(((((())(()())()))(())()))(())))(())))))))()))()))((()))()))()))))))))()))))))))((()()())(()))(((()))(())))()))((())(((())))()())))())))))((())))))(())())((((((())())()(()))()(()((()())))((())()(()(()))))(())(()()())(())))())((()(((())())))(((()())())))())()(())())((((()()))))())((()))()()()()(())(((((((()()()((()))())(()())))(())())((((()()(()))))()((())))((())()))()(((()))())))()))((()(()))(())(()((((())((((()()(()()))(((())(()))))((((()(()))(())))))((()))(()))((()(((()(()))(()(()((()(())(()(()(()(()()((()))())(((())(()(()))))(()))()()))(())))(())()(((())(()))()((((()()))))())(()))))((())()((((()(((()))())())(((()))()())((())(())())(())()(())()(()()((((((()()))))()()(((()()))))()())()(((()(()))(()(()())(()(()))))(((((()(((())())))))(((((()((()()((())())((((((()(())(()()((()()()()()()()(()()))()(((()))()))(((((((())(((()((()())()((((())(((()(())))()((()(()()()((())((()())()))()))())))())((((((()))(()(()()()))(()((()(()(()))()((()(((()()()((())(((((())()(()))())())((()(())))(()(()())(())((())())())(((()()()(())))))())(()))))))()))))))())((()()()))((()((((((()))(((()((((()()()(((()))())()(()()(((()((()()()()())()()))()()()(()(())((()))))(()))())))))))()(()()(((((())()(()(((((()((()(()()())(()((((((((()((((((())()((((()()()((()((()((((((()))((())))))))())()))((()(()))()(()()(()((())((()()((((((((((((()())(()()()))((((()((((((())(()))())(()()((()()))()(((((((()((()()((((((()(((())))((())))((((((((()()(((((((())(((((()())(((())((())()((((()(((((((()(()(((()((((((()(((()(((((((((((()()((()()(()))((()()(((()(((())))((((())()(()(((())()(()(((())(((((((((((()))())))((((((())((()()((((()())())((((()()))((())(((((()(()()(()()()((())(()((()()((((()(((((()((()(()((((()())((((((()(((((()()(()(()((((())))(())(())(())((((()(()()((((()((((()()((()((((((())))(((((()))))()))(()((((((((()(((())())(((())))(()(()((())(((()((()()(((((()((()()(((())()(()))(((((((())(()(((((()))((()((()((()))(())())((((()((((())()(()))(((()(((((((((((((((())(((((((((()))(((()(()()()()((((((()((())()((((((((()(())(((((((((((()(()((())()((()()(()(()()((((()()((())(()((()()(()()((((()(((((((())))((((())(())()(((()()((()()((((()((()(((()((())(((()()()((((()((((()()(()(()((((((((())(()(((((())(()())(((((((()())()(()((((()((())(()()())((((()()(((()((((())(())(()()(((((((((()()))()(((())(()(()((((((())(()()())(()))()()(((()(((()((())(()(((((((()(()(()((()(((((()(()((()(()((((((()((((()()((((()(((()((())(()(()((()()((((()()(())()(())(((())(()((((((((()())(((((((((()(())()((((())))()))()()(((((()()((((((())(()()(((()(()(((((((()(()(((((((())(())((((()((()(())))((((()()())(()))((()())((((()(((((()(()(())(()(()()())(((((()(((((()((((()()((((((((()()))(()((((((())((((())()(()(((()()()(((()(()(())(())(((((()(())())((((())(())(()(((()(((((())((((())())((()(((((((()(((())(()(()))(((((((((()((()((()()(()((((())(((()((())((((())(()(((()(((()(()((((()(((())(()(((()(()()(()(()((()()(()())(())())((()(()(((()(((()(((()()(((((((((()(((((((((()()(((()(((()())((((()(()(((()()()((())((((((((((())(()(((()((((()())((((()((()))(((()()()(((((()(((((((())((()())(()((((())((((((((())(()((()((((((((((()()((()((()()))(((()())()())()(((()())()()(()(()(((((((())()))(())()))())()()((())()((()((((()((()((())(((((()((((((()(())))(()))())(((()))((()()(()(((()))((((())()(((()))))()(()(())()(((((())(()(()(())(())()((()()()((((()(())((()())(()(()))(()(()(()()(())()()(()((())()((()))))()))((()(()()()()((()())(()))())()(()(((((((((())())((()((()((((((())()((((())(((())((()(()()()((())(()((())(((()((((()()((()(()(((((())()))()((((((()))((())(((()()))(((())(())()))(((((((())(())())()(())(((((()))()((()))()(()()((()()()()()())((((((('))] for i in range(len(n) + 1)].index(-1)+1) 

I used two variables to hold the up and down floors because perl :P

Well, it's really easy :D

At least compared to the usual problems I have to solve.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Use std::fstream. It's better for problems like these.

The first part of the first problem can  be solved like this :

ifstream in("santa.in");int k = 0;char c;while( in >> c )k += ( c=='(' ) ? 1 : -1;cout << k;

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

cool thing, I've done day 1 in ten minutes though, let's hope it gets more difficult

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

Well, it's really easy :D

At least compared to the usual problems I have to solve.

cool thing, I've done day 1 in ten minutes though, let's hope it gets more difficult

I expect it will get harder. In the about section it says

Advent of Code is a series of small programming puzzles for a variety of skill levels.

Day 2 is slightly harder than day 1, but it's still at a beginner level.

I like that they're easy / short problems since I'm going to be doing this everyday and I don't think the intention is for this to become a time-sink.

The new problem is fairly quick to solve.

Appears so, I'm doing dumb school work now, but I hope to do it by the end of the day... gotta keep a github commit spree going for this challenge

I thought I had it solved, then I got a stack overflow :P