Budget Gaming 8 Core System

Correct me if Im wrong here but wouldnt it be cheaper and better to go with LGA775 and get a cheap cor2quad extreme processor like the QX6700?

Not really. Look in eBay and look for a decent LGA775 board... People think they are made of gold.

I did the LGA771 mod on my existing LgA775 board and added a Xeon X5470, replacing a QX6850. Money well spent.

Not really. Look in eBay and look for a decent LGA775 board... People think they are made of gold.

I did the LGA771 mod on my existing LgA775 board and added a Xeon X5470, replacing a QX6850. Money well spent.

Used PC parts have ludicrous prices when outdated.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Put together a parts list for around $250. Used LGA 1366 and a workstation motherboard.

Its a bit more expensive than Linus' system, but it should be much easier to work with and upgrade in the future.

The MBO also has plenty of pcie slots. 

Would be interested to see someone build this.

Screen-Shot-2015-12-13-at-12.54.03-PM.pn

Someone already has, though I doubt he's a member of this forum.  I posted the link earlier in this thread...

http://andybrown.me.uk/2014/11/01/z800/

I hope you're ready for a bit of work.  The Z800 board doesn't use standard power supply connectors.

I actually have a Z800 -- it's quite a nice system.

Put together a parts list for around $250. Used LGA 1366 and a workstation motherboard.

Its a bit more expensive than Linus' system, but it should be much easier to work with and upgrade in the future.

The MBO also has plenty of pcie slots. 

Would be interested to see someone build this.

SWEET!!!! I got my Dual E5440s BSEL modded to 3.4Ghz. This thing is so fast for so cheap... Thank You Linus!

To bad it wont let me post any pics..

To bad it wont let me post any pics..

Just use imgur.com or any other site to drop pics :)

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

• 2 weeks later...

So here is my dilemma.  I want to maximize 8 core performance for cheap.  I've honed in on two most likely options.  I can go with a pair of regular Xeon quad cores (most likely X5450), or I could go with a pair of hyperthreaded Xeon quad cores (probably X5550), and turn hyperthreading off.  

There are two big question marks here:
1.) Will I be able to turn hyperthreading off? (Will likely use this sketchy Foxconn motherboard)
2.) If I turn it off hyperthreading, will these processors still be faster?  Userbenchmark's evaluation indicates that the X5550 has better single core speed. Would it logically follow, that it would maintain a better single core speed or better with hyperthreading disabled?

Long story short, any thoughts on which will perform better with all 8 cores in use?

I've been itching on trying a retired server/workstation build for gaming for years now. Also it would have been great for editing if I hadn't broken down and bought an LGA 2011 board to build... But I definitely think this should be the next Scrapyard Wars topic, That'd be sweet! Who's with me? Seeing Linus and Luke build the ultimate gaming/editing rig out of old server parts? 1 word... EPIC! Sure they did the budget 8 core video but they should 1 up it!

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Did a similar build, but found an ATX board so it fit in the 750D. Works fine with everything but network file transfers. Every time I try to copy from my NAS it goes at max 6MB/s over gigabit and windows explorer freezes completely when I copy a file to the NAS or even right click on a file on the NAS. Happens in Windows 7 and 10. XP has less problems but still won't copy to the NAS.

I just bought a Dell Precision T7500 with 2 Xeon E5620 CPUs, that has a bad 1100W powersupply. The board has 2-PCIe 16x, 2-8x, 1-4x and a couple of PCI slots. All the PCIe slots are 16x in size. Each CPU has 6 ram slots.

Should I shell out the $150-180 for a new replacement powersupply, get a refurbished one, or get a non-Dell powersupply and use a 8-pin CPU power splitter?

This will be a beast of a machine. Each processor is a 2.4ghz (2.66ghz turbo) 4 core, 8 thread with 12 meg cache that supports upto 288 gigs of ECC ram.

Not sure what I will do with it, but I couldn't pass up getting two $400 processors for $45, even though GoodWill thought there was only one :)

I might splurge and get the new powersupply. Not sure how much ram I should cram into it. Can't afford to max it out with 576GB of DDR3 ECC ram, though that would be awesome.

Any suggestions?

Finally got my system up and running. Using a HP XW8600 motherboard with two E5440s. The board just bearly fits in my Antec P280. There is a connector thats "LOOKS" like a 6-pin pcie on the motherboard, but its not. Its for the FD-DIMMs. You can use a regular PSU, but you have to repin a 6-pin pcie connector. 

Hey can you supply the documentation for the pin-out on the 6pin.  I've been struggling to get mine working.

1 Timothy 1:15

Should I shell out the $150-180 for a new replacement powersupply, get a refurbished one, or get a non-Dell powersupply and use a 8-pin CPU power splitter?

I'm going to just use an ATX power supply with one of these for the second CPU. But you gotta make sure its 12V EPS not PCI

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my system up and running. Using a HP XW8600 motherboard with two E5440s. The board just bearly fits in my Antec P280. There is a connector thats "LOOKS" like a 6-pin pcie on the motherboard, but its not. Its for the FD-DIMMs. You can use a regular PSU, but you have to repin a 6-pin pcie connector. 

I just wanted to add that I figured out the pin-out and posted it on my build log see: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/493507-dual-xeon-771-no-hacksaw-required/?p=7001051 if any of you still need to get this board working with an after market power supply.

Just starting my journey on this topic.

I was looking at X5550'S and am wondering why no one really mentioned them? They are only like 16euros here

Then someone mentioned opterons and I was like HMMMMM MOAR COARS! and then I started digging and found QUAD SOCKET motherboards so I could have 4 quad cores and all the way up to QUAD 16-core opterons... (Opteron 6276)

So I could build a budget 64 core monster!

But I had some thoughts, you go that high up the value per dollar falls off quickly, or does it?

I was considering you could make a couple of dual X5550 rigs.

But how do you compare which is better? Ok so if we look at dual x5550 the CPU bench score is 9,205 and the quad 16 core Opteron 6276 score is 17,144. At first you might be like PHWOAH dat CPU score. It's like NEARLY twice the score but it take the x5550 4 cores (8 threads) each for a total of 8 cores (16 threads) but the quad Opteron configuration has 64 cores and doesn't even double the x5550 config...

I'm probably going to end up answering my own questions in this post (which isn't necessarily a bad thing because if I'm wondering about it someone else will at some point) but is this benchmark really an accurate representation of performance? Is building 2 DUAL X5550 rigs more bang for your buck than a QUAD 16 core Opteron rig?

Note, nowhere here did I mention gaming. This is more a general horsepower to horsepower comparison across the board and if anything. Think a system running a swarm of applications rather than fps on a AAA title. What about the scenario of running unraid on such a box, just lots of different stuff running and we're thinking about lump volumes of compute power per dollar.

First I need to figure out the value for money accurately and then I guess I decide (if viable) whether it would be more fun to make a huge as many cores as possible cheap build or make a cluster of best value per dollar rigs... Purely for funsies... I love linuses idea about the personal cloud and having a central beast whether that be a single physical machine or multiple physical machines compiled into one virtual compute powerhouse.

I'd love to have a cloud system of some sort that could handle plex, NAS, windows, linux, gaming and eahc device taps into it rather than having a dedicated machine for each task. Also getting into home automation and the internet of things so I a big central system that heaps of little things to hook into would be amazing.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

can somebody make me one. im 2 lazy to search for all this sh!t right now. whats the pricing? i can spend up to 350$.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, benwarrock said:

Hello can i use this mobo http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon1333/5000P/X7DBE.cfm

Pci-e slot thats why im asking and the slot seems strange does it fit a 16x card?

I wouldn't it only has physical 8x slots.  The big long one is for a riser PCB which are hard to find usually and then you would need the correct supper micro case to to with it.  You could use an 8x pcie extension ribbon and just ghetto mount you graphics card but like I said I wouldn't.

12 minutes ago, f22luke said:

I wouldn't it only has physical 8x slots.  The big long one is for a riser PCB which are hard to find usually and then you would need the correct supper micro case to to with it.  You could use an 8x pcie extension ribbon and just ghetto mount you graphics card but like I said I wouldn't.

Thank you for your answer, and yeah bad idea.. but that was the best mobo i could find at my location, any ideas? Im from germany im able to spent 50€ for a mobo, i have the cpus already ( Intel Xeon X5450 3 GHz )

• 1 month later...

What about using dell precision 490 GU083 workstation motherboard (50$ used) ???

Hey all, serious questions here (I took this seriously, and I hope many others did with the million+ views this video had), would appreciate some help

I wanted to do a build like this. I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-X7DB8-Server-Board-Dual-Intel-Socket-LGA771-DDR2-w-I-O-Shield-/400954442469?hash=item5d5abf42e5:g:u08AAOSw5ZBWHEo7

I talked to the seller and they confirmed an 8x PCIE on that board, and 64gb total of expandable DDR2 memory. Furthermore it has the same lga 771 slots for the xeon processors mentioned, although the next step up may have gotten more affordable lately (opening up different newer motherboards as choices)

I was thinking of it as a rendering station, but my original idea was far more revolutionary. I wanted to set up a PC share with the gaming company (all this is purely hypothetical and shouldn't violate company policy by asking anything here) I work for, (www.dvsgaming.org as a graphics designer and article writer). The dream is to make a legion of these and give some away to needy gamers hehe. - I made this sweet gamer hardware review image yo! (definitely don't use this image, its for the company I work for, but anyway):

56f32112593f5_DVShardwareslider1-5(lowse

I also am writing "This Day in Gaming History" articles this week till Sunday (so far so good, first special edition article on the site I believe, add corrections if you feel):
https://dvsgaming.org/this-day-in-video-game-history-march-22nd-special-edition/

Objectives are to:

1. Build the rig cheap (of course, I'll be throwing in a reliable, but powerful PSU and GPU, but if I can manage to find a cheap SSD, it's also a must for reasons I will explain)

2. create a software package bundle to tag along with the rig

3. Send to less fortunate members of the DVS community

Why do all this? Firstly, the experience and fun (believe it or not that's not the most important part this time)! Also, I am a social justice and sustainability activist, but... I am also a PC gamer and hardware nerd, so I thought I would mix the two together. The targets are our poorest community members (hypothetically, we will provide shipping costs, and pledges will provide money for builds - this will be a first test on my own cash/accord), in order to give them a quality experience and teach them how to build one of these cheap rigs for themselves. Partly, I'm tired of living with the guise created by the gaming elite that I deal with daily (no offense to them, they are great... mostly..., but looking at the big picture, their spoiled and too overstimulated to see the little guys out there). Not everyone has, or can afford performance PCs. Feel me?

To  do this, I may need some help picking something durable, and will hold up when properly packed and shipped many hundreds or thousands of times.
______
My jenky part list is as follows:
CPU
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=lga+771+cpu&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xlga+771+cpu+12m.TRS1&_nkw=lga+771+cpu+12m&_sacat=0
Maybe aiming for a pair of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-X5450-Quad-Core-3-00GHz-12M-1333-CPU-Processor-SLBBE-SLASB-LGA-771-/182061580181?hash=item2a63b73f95:g:-LsAAOSwYlJW5YyV

Case (emphasizing durability, and ship-ability)?

(You might like this one 5 gal water cooler - thermal/ sound defenning paint to be added inside with DIY ventilation and cordage setup)
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Igloo-5-Gallon-Seat-Top-Beverage-Jug-with-spigot-Igloo-Products-Corp-/182053361181?hash=item2a6339d61d:g:9X4AAOSwu1VW5YbB

OR
http://www.reliablepaper.com/Rubbermaid_5_Gallon_Water_Cooler_Modern_Blue_p/325-1841000.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjw_ci3BRDSvfjortr--DQSJADU8f2j-T2CobHh6JNByTh3aiLBZG2FqVBAlhkizgpeL9L7axoCQdTw_wcB&click=53253
(I was looking at bicarbonate maybe as an inner shell because of its higher heat tolerance than normal plastic, acrylic might be out of the question)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAN-JAMAR-SI6100-5-GALLON-POLYCARBONATE-ICE-TOTE-NSF-/152013417457?hash=item2364b4abf1:g:Oa0AAOSwZQxW5LlQ

(Maybe a suitcase instead)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=suit+case+green&_sacat=0

(Some Thermal insulation, filling, and sound barrier paints - to prevent melting of case, sound problems, and emphasizing safety/use of enamals)
Sound defenning- http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Undercoating-and-Sound-Deadener-16-oz-P46462.aspx?zmam=31282435&zmas=50&zmac=750&zmap=FPR120&gclid=CjwKEAjw_ci3BRDSvfjortr--DQSJADU8f2jTCddQEvYLj28JNo9oGp9geN_xEa9V5750YZvwolSxBoCCc_w_wcB

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/duplicolor-uc102-undercoating-professional-undercoat-and-sound-eliminator-17-oz-aerosol/?gclid=CjwKEAjw_ci3BRDSvfjortr--DQSJADU8f2jEj87YfaXHVcldaRuIQ00pjSy4tsvb2ayW2r_OKVbhRoC5xHw_wcB

Thermal Insulation - http://www.woodstoves-fireplaces.com/insul-wool/?gclid=CjwKEAjw_ci3BRDSvfjortr--DQSJADU8f2jYia1alUsQLOJQ2Z-wO7axu6QSUmwMrhaJ5293hQIWRoC9yfw_wcB

http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo+Tec/893/12003/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710731471&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjw_ci3BRDSvfjortr--DQSJADU8f2jdg0SelOTHCqY-oO1yKPWC5SX7lJlqQCD9leaPsBPXBoC2hrw_wcB

Filling and shock support - http://sprayfoamsys.com/store/handi-foam-p10141-24oz-680g-handi-seal-window-door-straw-foam-sealant-fomo.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwt763BRDZx_Xg3-Pv2cABEiQAoDfeGOG4Q6gFYExQ-nP3NFtdRXDsjFHXtASxNsLJs1uJMA0aAqle8P8HAQ

Adheasive - https://www.zoro.com/3m-adhesive-spray-1675-oz-can-super-77/i/G0841057/?gdffi=047ada998cf641fa93e55ae8579df863&gdfms=A9495A02EC5844608183CAD2756AF815&gclid=CjwKEAjw_ci3BRDSvfjortr--DQSJADU8f2jUURVgDVjJvHn7F1l5AmOX78igELa_5SOzeSXSkvxkxoCrqDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

(A few of these if I decide to water-cool it)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400895989672?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

--- Still need to decide on a PSU, accompanying cords, including HDMI DVI, possible water cooling, etc.. any advice (also correct me if I made any mistakes in the basic stuff please)?

On 11/30/2015 at 3:20 AM, TheRandomness said:

The opteron boards seem to be harder to find in a form factor that is usable.

Hello I probably have what seems like a dumb question. What kind of power supply would be needed? Would it have to be a server power supply? Or would a normal power supply by fine? I'm pretty sure power is power as far as its concerned. But I'm more wondering if there would be different connectors or cables that apply due to it not being your standard motherboard and such.

I've built plenty of computers but never really messed with the server end of the spectrum so Im just a touch out of my knowledge pool on this one. 

If anyone could enlighten me that would be much appreciated thanks :)

Games and Music. Nuff said.

/\
             /_.\
       _,.-'/ `",\'-.,_
    -~^    /______\`~~-^~

Read through some, skimmed elsewhere, but didn't see this addressed:

Will I be able to run a standard version of Windows and/or Ubuntu on a server system? Specifically, an Intel S5000PSLSASR motherboard, with two Xeon X5450 CPUs, two Dynatron H6EG copper CPU coolers, 16GB Micron DDR2 PC2-5300F fully buffered memory, ADATA USA Premier SP550 120GB SSD, Seagate Cheetah 146GB SAS ST3146356SS 15K HDD, Seagate Momentus 5400.5 160GB HDD, and an EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC+ GAMING 2GB GDDR5 Video Card w/ ACX 2.0+ Silent Cooling. Haven't decided on power yet. 

45 minutes ago, lsloan3 said:

Read through some, skimmed elsewhere, but didn't see this addressed:

Will I be able to run a standard version of Windows and/or Ubuntu on a server system? Specifically, an Intel S5000PSLSASR motherboard, with two Xeon X5450 CPUs, two Dynatron H6EG copper CPU coolers, 16GB Micron DDR2 PC2-5300F fully buffered memory, ADATA USA Premier SP550 120GB SSD, Seagate Cheetah 146GB SAS ST3146356SS 15K HDD, Seagate Momentus 5400.5 160GB HDD, and an EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC+ GAMING 2GB GDDR5 Video Card w/ ACX 2.0+ Silent Cooling. Haven't decided on power yet. 

for windows you'll need a minimum of Pro to run dual CPUs on Windows, whereas most every linux distribution has support for 2 / 4 / 8 CPU systems and above

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions