Budget Gaming 8 Core System

I had Gigabyte P31-DS3L that was modded to support socket 771 CPUs.

I swapped my dual core E5300 for Xeon E5430 on it that I bought for 30 dollars (when Q6600 was still around 100-ish $ here) and overclocked it to 4GHz.

Performance boost was drastic and I still see people buying 775 MBOs for that same reason.

What WAN show is your picture from?

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

I want to do this... The build i am thinking of is this:

16GB(4X 4GB) Kingston KVR667D2D4P5/4G 2Rx4 PC2-5300P DDR2-667MHz ECC Reg Memory

Intel S5000SL Dual Xeon Server Motherboard

Then 2 of these:

Intel Xeon X5472 3.00GHz / 12M / 1600 Quad-Core CPU Processor SLBBB LGA 771

And obviously I am going to use a standard power supply hard drive and would like a recommendation on a GPU, and will this work?

How well would this handle game severs?

I know most game server aren't multithreaded, and some you can do work arounds. I thinking of making a cheap black box server rig for hosting, but if the dual cpus don't really help. I might go with one cpu and a cheaper borad.

Games I will be running servers for just about every thing on steam.

I found out you can use a backplate from a Socket 604 on a Socket 771 heatsink. Might help instead of using MDF (no offense Linus).

Superb editing, favorite part is when the red circle appeared on the Cinebench score as Linus was doing the fart noise (or is that a sound effect).  :P  :lol:

favorite part of the video, everything.  :D

Did a new build like this a while back for a client like 8-9 years ago. The case he got doesn't have the mounting holes for the cpu sockets. So I had to go out and buy a box of long screws, hex nuts, and washers. Mounted the cpu cooler, insert them long screw and then secure with the hex nut from the bottom, with the washer in between.

Plastic or paper type washers, not them metal types.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Honestly, if cheap overclockable LGA1366 motherboards existed (they don't, cheapest one that can OC is ~$150 USD used with no i/o shield), then  an x58 build with a Xeon X5650 or x5660 would be the way to go. You can overclock the snot out of those CPUs to over 4 GHz and they're 6 cores with hyper threading. The motherboard cost is just too high, and cheap Dell/HP/Server boards are no good as they don't support overclocking. The big thing holding this build back is the poor single-threaded performance which overclocking would really help resolve, but by then you're spending ~$225 for the mobo/cpu plus cooling and at that point it becomes less desirable, even though you're getting a great 6 core CPU with great performance.

Does anyone know what Power Supply he was using in the video? I am really interested in building this.. Thank You :D

The power supply brand doesn't matter, so long as it has enough wattage and the correct connectors for whatever board you choose.  :)

Does anyone know what Power Supply he was using in the video? I am really interested in building this.. Thank You :D

The power supply brand doesn't matter, so long as it has enough wattage and the correct connectors for whatever board you choose. :)

I beg to differ. Id go with a well known brand, not some generic PSU. Season 3 of scrapyard wars should show you this.

My rig: i5-4690k, Corsair H100i, MSI GTX 970, Kingston K300 240GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB HDD, 8GB Corsair Vengeance ram, 500W EVGA PSU, Red NZXT H440,

I think you knew full well what I meant when I stated the brand didn't matter.  The specific brand Linus used isn't necessary for someone to duplicate his results.  Whatever ones favorite brand of power supply is, it only matters that it has enough wattage for the hardware and the correct connectors.

I beg to differ. Id go with a well known brand, not some generic PSU. Season 3 of scrapyard wars should show you this.

If anyone out there wants to try this I have 2 E5430 Xeons you can have if you pay for shipping. I got em a while back for a server pc I picked up but they were the wrong chips for the motherboard. Just send me a message or something if you want them.

I will take them if still have them 

wtf? 1x 24pin & 1x 20 pin PSU on Motherboard? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-GU083-Precision-Workstation-490-Dual-Socket-LGA771-Main-board-/331180535795?hash=item4d1be5eff3:g:zkEAAOxyeZNTUUVW

And yeah good luck for me finding something that will actually ship to me with low cost...

Found Linus original Motherboard he used in the video, lol...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-CS24-SC-Server-Board-Motherboard-C295H-Dual-Socket-LGA-771-/171740626855?hash=item27fc89ffa7:g:Lo4AAOSwNSxVN73A#shpCntId

I came into this thinking "What could beat my HP z600 with 16 gigs of RAM, 2 Xeon x5570 (best that can be done on the Z600 gen1) and an AMD R9-270x" and quite frankly, $250ish gets you more than $150 (system only, I already had the GPU).  Granted, I should have spent $50+ more and gotten a Z800, but budget was what I was going for.

wtf? 1x 24pin & 1x 20 pin PSU on Motherboard? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-GU083-Precision-Workstation-490-Dual-Socket-LGA771-Main-board-/331180535795?hash=item4d1be5eff3:g:zkEAAOxyeZNTUUVW

And yeah good luck for me finding something that will actually ship to me with low cost...

Found Linus original Motherboard he used in the video, lol...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-CS24-SC-Server-Board-Motherboard-C295H-Dual-Socket-LGA-771-/171740626855?hash=item27fc89ffa7:g:Lo4AAOSwNSxVN73A#shpCntId

I think the 1st system mentioned uses a proprietary PSU. The reason for that is both extra power and the motherboard has an integrated power distribution system as well as the case having a breakaway power distribution system for the SATA/IDE drives. The PSU only has 3 cables attached to it, 2 for mobo and 1 for the breakaway power distribution system.

DUAL 6 CORE 12 THREADS HP Z600 Workstation for $270 this does not include shipping but anyway LOL 12 core 24 thread Workstation pc for $270... 

Seller information

DUAL 6 CORE 12 THREADS HP Z600 Workstation for $270 this does not include shipping but anyway LOL 12 core 24 thread Workstation pc for $270... 

Seller information

Yep. I spent $250 for my Z600 and $50 for the 2 x5570s. It will stomp the one you mentioned because the per core clock speed and turbo speed is higher. plus, it uses less energy. lol.

Yep. I spent $250 for my Z600 and $50 for the 2 x5570s. It will stomp the one you mentioned because the per core clock speed and turbo speed is higher. plus, it uses less energy. lol.

Lol? 80TDP isnt very power hungry... x5570 have 95TDP read ark http://ark.intel.com/nl/compare/48768,37111 obviously the 2 6 cores are much faster has way more cores and threads.

So the more I look into this, the more I want to do it. Get a pair of X5460s and BSEL mod them to 3.8Ghz.  :D  All you need is a board that supports a 1600Mhz FSB. What i'm not sure on is if you need 400Mhz DDR2? 

im going to do this just for fun so i started off with two intel xeon E5450, 2 sticks of 4gb ddr2 by Samsung, i will order more if it works. and im using this as the motherboard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331621666936?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it supports widows 7, had 6 4pin fan headers, pci express x16 and two pci express x8 but only one is usable with a gpu because of spacing, has audio, 4 usb, dual gigabit Ethernet. hopefully it works, will find out when i get the parts, ohh also this size of a board is just a tad bigger then a micro atx, 10in x 10in so im doing a lan rig. dont know what gpu i will put in it. depends on price.

im going to do this just for fun so i started off with two intel xeon E5450, 2 sticks of 4gb ddr2 by Samsung, i will order more if it works. and im using this as the motherboard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331621666936?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it supports widows 7, had 6 4pin fan headers, pci express x16 and two pci express x8 but only one is usable with a gpu because of spacing, has audio, 4 usb, dual gigabit Ethernet. hopefully it works, will find out when i get the parts, ohh also this size of a board is just a tad bigger then a micro atx, 10in x 10in so im doing a lan rig. dont know what gpu i will put in it. depends on price.

Let me know how it goes I'm keeping my eye on that board. What psu are you going to use?