Help Needed! Whats a good PWM Splitter?

Darkmatter35

Hello I am looking for a good PMW fan splitter. I need one that goes from my motherboard's CPU 4-pin fan header to a pcb with at least 8-10 4 Pin headers. All the ones I find are confusing and I can't understand them.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Swiftech makes one

Swiftech's is only 3 pin, I believe Bitspower makes one with 4 pin though. Why would you want a PWM splinter? you basically lose al the advantages of the connector with a splitter.

Swiftech's is only 3 pin, I believe Bitspower makes one with 4 pin though. Why would you want a PWM splinter? you basically lose al the advantages of the connector with a splitter.

You do? how?

PWM ( pulse width modulation) is a different way of powering the fan than voltage control it sends burst of power at different intervals to keep a precise RPM on a per fan basis by putting them on a splitter you're losing those advantages and you might as well just get a 3 pin splitter unless you get something super advanced like a a T-Balancer.

Lets me rephrase this. I have at least 8 PWM fans and I want them all to plug into a pcb and then the pcb into the motherboard cpu fan header. So I can control the speeds of all 8 of my PWM fans as if they are one

Use 2 of these http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_1344&products_id=17923

you only require 2 PWM headers on the motherboard and can control 4 fans separately, so 4 can be spinning and 4 can be off if your idling and then have both sets of 4 spin up once you hit any load.

Alternativly you can get something like a T-Balancer or AquaComputer Aquaro which will allow abit more advanced methods of control, I would only use this in super high end configs though :)

Thanks Alot! this helped :)

Also Quick Question. Is the 4th "extra" pin in pwm fans only for the luxury of being able to read the fans rpm? Or is it the only wan to control the fan speed?

It's been mentioned that Swiftech makes a PWM spliter: http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

That one is powered by sata... they make a molex as well but it's been out of stock for a while.

Also Quick Question. Is the 4th "extra" pin in pwm fans only for the luxury of being able to read the fans rpm? Or is it the only wan to control the fan speed?

The 4th pin is the PWM pin. So no, since you can measure rpm from a 3pin fan, it's logical that an extra pin wouldn't be rpm measurement too.

It's been mentioned that Swiftech makes a PWM spliter: http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

That one is powered by sata... they make a molex as well but it's been out of stock for a while.

The 4th pin is the PWM pin. So no, since you can measure rpm from a 3pin fan, it's logical that an extra pin wouldn't be rpm measurement too.

oh ok so both types measure rpm but only the PWM fans can control rpm.... ok!