Windows 10 Users Considering Class Action Lawsuit Against Microsoft for Poor System Performance

The Windows 10 experience has so far been very mixed for those who installed Microsoft's new operating system, and while some claim this is the best OS version so far, others can't get the Start menu working after upgrading from Windows 7 and 8.1.

It's no secret that there are ton of problems in Windows 10, at least on some PCs, so some of those whose computers got upgraded to this OS version, either manually or automatically by Microsoft, are now considering the possibility of starting a class action lawsuit against the company.

This idea was first posted on Microsoft's Community forums on August 14, 2015, and since then the thread has received nearly 200 answers, most of which criticize the company for the performance of Windows 10.

“Thousands of computers made useless because of Windows 10”  

The original message that calls for the class action lawsuit also mentions some of the problems that could allow Windows 10 upgraders to take the company to court:

“Is there an attorney or firm interested in pursuing a class action suit? There are thousands of computers that have been rendered useless after being upgraded to Windows 10 through ‘automatic updates’ and left with 1. no sound, 2. no operating screen time 3. no access (password issues) 3.  memory issues 4. lost files 5. unauthorized access by Microsoft,” user LisaCapaci posted.

Now, there’s one major thing that users should take into account when thinking about a class action against Microsoft: they agreed with the EULA when installing Windows 10, so some of the complaints mentioned here are no longer valid.

Plus, as far as the unauthorized access by Microsoft is concerned, the company has already explained that it doesn’t collect more than error information and app crash data, so no personal details are being sent from your computer. And again, this info is already included in the privacy policy, making it irrelevant in court.

Whether Windows 10 users are ready to start class action lawsuit against Microsoft remains to be seen, but for the moment, this is just another sign that things are not going exactly as expected for the Redmond-based software giant.

I eat chicken wings in Thanksgiving. WHAT DO YOU EAT IN THE THANKSGIVING?

yah my start menue freezes and i cant do anything with it, happens rarely and is just a good reminder that i should probably turn off my pc instead of using hypersleep xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

should go through

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Oh nothing about the forced upgrades or the spying? Or the pop up ads in windows 8? Keep dreaming. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

bad performance they say? .... i say its because they probably have nvidia hardware ... and we know that nvidia and win10 + DX 12 dont like each other that much  

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Don't American users waive their right to sue Microsoft when they accept the EULA (you can't sign away that right in Europe)?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I used to get a lot of blue screens on windows 10. Some page fault in nonpage error message every time it happened.

bad performance they say? .... i say its because they probably have nvidia hardware ... and we know that nvidia and win10 + DX 12 dont like each other that much  

I have SLI and W10 and it works fine. I honestly think it's people who still have older drivers, hardware, and software causing issues and they blame Microsoft even though it has nothing to do with them. If you want to use software from 2003, but don't blame Microsoft for your problems when your software causes your computer to crash. 

I see it all the time, they'll update something and instantly blame whatever they updated or installed last for the problems they're having now. I swear someone could install W10 and would blame W10 because it 'killed the internet' after their router died because it was hit by lightning. 

Idiots looking for easy money ain't going to be rich over night.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I have SLI and W10 and it works fine. I honestly think it's people who still have older drivers, hardware, and software causing issues and they blame Microsoft even though it has nothing to do with them. If you want to use software from 2003, but don't blame Microsoft for your problems when your software causes your computer to crash. 

I see it all the time, they'll update something and instantly blame whatever they updated or installed last for the problems they're having now. I swear someone could install W10 and would blame W10 because it 'killed the internet' after their router died because it was hit by lightning. 

Yeah, it is always astonishing how many things that get reported to us at work that "broke after an update", and we can prove that the update was not at fault :/ Or people that claim that an update failed when the error report logs tell us they rebooted it halfway through the update procedure :(

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Not true.

America is so backwards, you guys sue everyone for anything. 

Cleaner missed a spot on your floor? Sued. 

Ouch, stereotypes. It's probably fair to say most of us Americans think this is a bit stupid as well.

Also, I don't know anyone who hires a cleaning service. :P

No sound?

Seriously?

This is so bs...how can they even prove poor system performance in court? All the rest are just issues that can and will eventually happen , and which can be fixed. Also...they agreed to the EULA so...what's the point really?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Another waste of time money and court resources.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Ouch, stereotypes. It's probably fair to say most of us Americans think this is a bit stupid as well.

Also, I don't know anyone who hires a cleaning service. :P

I'm currently working with a new business venture out of NZ into the states and we have been told by our lawyers "Prepare to be sued." We've actually already had a cease and desist notice issued to us within two weeks because, and I quote, our "service is similar". 

I won't disclose what we do, but it's the equivalent of one cleaner sending a cease and desist to another cleaner because that cleaner also happens to clean floors. 

No sound?

Seriously?

This is so bs...how can they even prove poor system performance in court? All the rest are just issues that can and will eventually happen , and which can be fixed. Also...they agreed to the EULA so...what's the point really?

To be fair, the EULA isn't worth as much as the paper it isn't printed on in European courts.

There are thousands of computers that have been rendered useless after being upgraded to Windows 10

Let me stop you right there, and leave: This is just retarded no machine is rendered useless because of a failed OS install, just format back to Windows 7 or 8 you dipshits.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm currently working with a new business venture out of NZ into the states and we have been told by our lawyers "Prepare to be sued." We've actually already had a cease and desist notice issued to us within two weeks because, and I quote, our "service is similar". 

I won't disclose what we do, but it's the equivalent of one cleaner sending a cease and desist to another cleaner because that cleaner also happens to clean floors. 

I guess no one ever sues in NZ. Give us a break ffs :rolleyes:

I have Win 10 and a GTX 980, haven't had a single problem since day 1 except a random bug that down-clocks my GPU until I restart after driver updates.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

That's such a funny statement because my GTX 980 still outbenchmarks all but a couple AMD cards, and I'm on Windows 10.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Sadly not everybody is smart enough to do that themselves or get to that stage without giving someone else money.

Then you'd be entitled to 40 or 50 bucks for the cost of having someone format it for you, not your entire fucking PC which is for all effects and purposes NOT rendered useless.

Besides this are users on technical forums this reeks of intellectual dishonesty on their part of course they know they can just format.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh nothing about the forced upgrades or the spying? Or the pop up ads in windows 8? Keep dreaming. 

Of course not, because they have nothing to hide /s

Or they're just too stupid and/or uninformed to do anything about it.

Let me stop you right there, and leave: This is just retarded no machine is rendered useless because of a failed OS install, just format back to Windows 7 or 8 you dipshits.

That's quite a lot more than the average user could handle.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs