[Patched]AMD drivers locking fan speed to 20% and killing GPUS. WATCH YOUR CARDS

Syntaxvgm

I can confirm some Hawaii cards are affected. One of my 290's, even though water cooled, still uses the stock blower fan to cool the VRMs etc. and is plugged into the fan header on the card. Twice (just after installing crimson the first and 2nd time), I had the blower fan on this card randomly ramp up to 100% for no reason. Was able to override it by setting it to 30% constant in MSI AB.

It just struck me now, after reading that some people had this happen after installing crimson, that this was a result of this bug. 

I hope (and assume) the fix will just be an update to the driver and not require reinstalling. Took me a while to set up the custom overdrive profiles for a bunch of games. Don't want to have to redo all that again so soon. :/

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I hope (and assume) the fix will just be an update to the driver and not require reinstalling. Took me a while to set up the custom overdrive profiles for a bunch of games. Don't want to have to redo all that again so soon. :/

AMD said that it'll be a hotfix.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9823/amd-releasing-new-crimson-drivers-for-gpu-fan-issue

Yesterday i got a big crash where my screen went totally distorted and i got a feeling it could have very well have been the Crimson drivers. i might just go back to 15.7 since that was perfectly stable for me.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Ouch, luckily I'm under water.

And yeah the biggest surprise is that a number of cards actually died... Maybe the VRMs cooked, but they have temp probes and the vBIOS should probably switch the card off if a component overheats...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I think today's update is the most appropriate use for the term "Hotfix"

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Anyone think they will step up and offer to replace toasted cards?
No?

Is this a problem for my HD5670?

I need a better GPU

I have a 5670 near me...unplugged..still alive..and I uh...at some point ripped off the fan's wires...I did not notice it. I proceeded playing some LoL...at some point in the game I opened HW monitor to check temps. 87 degrees on the GPU...that was an instant "kill the power" button press. It's still alive so I don't think you'd have an issue with it.

Play some games and monitor temps and fan speeds, see if they go wild.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I have a 5670 near me...unplugged..still alive..and I uh...at some point ripped off the fan's wires...I did not notice it. I proceeded playing some LoL...at some point in the game I opened HW monitor to check temps. 87 degrees on the GPU...that was an instant "kill the power" button press. It's still alive so I don't think you'd have an issue with it.

87 is not all that hot danger wise and league is not all that taxing especially if you aren't playing that one map and you are locked at 60, which if I'm not mistaken is default. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Yeah, but it's me we're talking about :) Max settings and no FPS cap..since it's pretty horrible when it drops during fights.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Ouch....

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

It sits about 50c at 28% fan which is as low as I can set it. I think I will be fine.

I'm calling bull on some of these reports, the 200 series is able to deal with 95C, and silicon can at an absolute maximum operate at 115C though the card's life may be effected.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

to late for me 2 before i noticed. My 290x is just laggina lot after new drivers update and i get this weird screen tears -.-

>WaRRioR_ would like quake full and final....will trade vital organs.\"

5960x, rampage v extreme, 2x 16Gb ddr4 g skil 2400mhz ram, 2x 2tb black WD, 4x samsung pro 256Gb, 3x gtx 980 evga superclocked, Corsair ax1200w, define r4, noctua nhd15, 4x dell u2412m....

The bugfix version of Crimson is available as a beta driver download from the AMD website. This is the press release for it.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/11/30/radeon-software-crimson-edition-the-incredible-first-7-days?hootPostID=72bd6db61138565786c1ede4e066996a

Radeon Software Crimson Edition was released on Nov 24 – and the community response has been remarkable. Here are some mind-blowing stats:

• Crimson Edition drivers have been downloaded an astonishing 2.5 million times.
  • AMD videos on YouTube announcing Crimson Edition have been viewed almost 250,000 times.

You're clearly as excited about our new software as we are, and we want to say thank you for your support and enthusiasm.

As part of the Radeon Software Crimson Edition rollout, we promised to actively solicit user feedback, rapidly respond to software issues, and execute quick-turnaround software updates. We have been proactively monitoring the forums and online activities and our dedicated software team has been working on reproducing, debugging and fixing these issues since the driver release. We are pleased to report that a mere six days after the Radeon Software Crimson Edition launch we are releasing our first rapid-response software update that adds a number of stability improvements, fixes for software issues reported by our user community, and day-one support for issues reported on Just Cause 3.

Resolved Issues with Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.11.1 Update:

• [82050] Star Wars™: Battlefront - Snow flickers in a few locations in the game
  • [82240] Star Wars™: Battlefront - Sky rendering may be broken in some game locations
  • [82645] Fallout 4 - The compass may flicker during gameplay on AMD Radeon R9 390 Series products. We continue to investigate the issue with AMD Radeon R9 290 and AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Series products
  • [82667] Star Wars™: Battlefront - Shadowy textures are visible around hills/structures/caves
  • [81890] Just Cause 3 - Texture corruption may be experienced during gameplay
  • [54874] Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Poor AMD Crossfire™ technology performance may be experienced
  • [82338] The driver installation may fail while installing the ACP component
  • [82426] The font size in Chinese language installations may be too small
  • [82438] The label range values in some AMD Freesync™ technology installations may be incorrect
  • [82536] The Radeon Settings dropbox does not close when it is clicked on a second time
  • [82603] The AMD OverDrive™ fan settings is always set to ON after first edit on reboot
  • [82586] Language shows up as Chinese Simplified when Chinese Traditional is selected in Windows® 7
  • [82656] Radeon Settings crashes on the Display tab when cloning a display via HDMI on some notebooks
  • [82671] AMD OverDrive fan speed is reset to Manual on exiting from a 3D game or application. Users will have to reset their AMD OverDrive pages to ensure  issue is fixed
  • [82766] Radeon Settings does not get upgraded in some install scenarios
  • [82691] AMD Overdrive™ cannot revert to default settings in some situations

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

By the way, if I manually set the fan speed in Afterburner that seems to fix the issue. Was playing Fallout 4 the other day and my card was cruising at 80 degrees Celsius, because the fan speed was at 20. Upped the speed to 70 and it cooled the card down to around 55 degrees Celsius.

COMIC SANS

lets not get ahead of ourselves.... when u compare nvidia and amd drivers in 2015.... 95% of the time amds drivers were much better, more stable, had less issues than nvidia ones. Yes nvidia released more drivers than amd. but they were generaly worse quality then the ones from amd. Just went through nvidia reddit page and nvidia forums and u wouldnt believe how many issues nvidia users are having with their cards and drivers. Amd users have issues aswell but not ass many. The way i see it crimson is an exeption. Every good driver engineer will have bad day someday. (my opinion)

Lolzors nope.  NV outnumbers AMD by something like 2:1 users so that might be why you see more "issues" coming from the NV side than AMD.  NV drivers are far more polished than AMD ones which is why Quadro is universally what professionals use over FirePro and same applies to the enthusiast side.  I'll cite AMD's  years of frame metering issues that SLI had no issues with.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Seems the hotfix fixed the issue for me....for now. My temps weren't too crazy but they were quite a bit higher than usual. I was getting about 45c AT IDLE before.  Very odd. cepxWml.png

Well if RMA's or replacements don't occur AMD's sales over the short term will skyrocket due everyone with now dead cards (and not knowing the difference why it died) will be buying new cards.

AMD will be like "Hey our sales are up we wont have to shut down now"   (Disclaimer: no hate was intended or implied, just throwing out some humor here) 

200.gif

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I know most are sick of these video's now.... but not everyone has seen this variant, so I'm posting it.

Embedded is blocked, click to watch on YT

Bit late to the party, but I'm happy for everyone that the fixed driver is out, I'd be very unhappy if I was affected by that issue.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I know most are sick of these video's now.... but not everyone has seen this variant, so I'm posting it.

Embedded is blocked, click to watch on YT

Bit late to the party, but I'm happy for everyone that the fixed driver is out, I'd be very unhappy if I was affected by that issue.

No can watch. It is blocked.  :(  *crawls into corner to curl up and cry*

*edit

Found the video on YouTube.

LMAO - I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No can watch. It is blocked.  :(  *crawls into corner to curl up and cry*

Works fine for me.  :P

Works fine for me.  :P

Must be a work thing (stupid work internet filters, teases me so I can read the threads but cant see pics or watch videos **cries softly, alone at desk**)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER