Unable to set 144hz Refresh Rate for my BenQ XL2730Z

As title said, on the first day when I used the monitor I recall correctly Im able to run it at 2560X1440 @ 144hz Refresh Rate. 
But now all sudden, I can only set it to maximum of 100hz ! I even checked it in games on the Settings my Refresh Rate I can only set it up to 100hz that's it ! 
I've tried every possible solutions.

1) Updated Drivers from 15.7 to Crimson, didn't work. ( Clean Install, used DDU etc ) 
2) Tried using DVI-D Dual Link that came with the monitor, didn't work, Crimson show monitor capable of 120hz but it's worst I can only set it up to 60hz max. 
3) Disable FreeSync, didn't work. ( Also FreeSync is displaying the range of FPS 40 - 100 )  
4) Unplugging and re-plugging back cables, didn't work 
5) Found this weird solution online, some guy had same problem, he unplugged the power cord from the monitor and left it over night and it work for him 
6) Another person on this forum had same problem, he too can't set it over 100hz, but after trying on his friend PC and so it went back normal for him....

I am literally out of ideas....I doubt it's a cable problem, I couldn't be so bad luck till the point both brand new cables is faulty could I ?? I didn't even use the DVI-D Dual Link before. Also since now I've moved to AMD Crimson Drivers and now it supports Custom Res is it safe to actually use a Custom Res software ? Will it harm my PC / Monitor / GPU ? 

Also Im using Windows 7 64 BIT and Sapphire 290X Vapor-X 

not sure if this is your problem, but it took me a minute to figure out how to set my PC to 120Hz... basically there are two different resolution setting for each rez in Nvidia Control Panel... the 1st one is the 'ultra hd' setting which is 60 hz and then if your scroll half way down there is another setting 'PC' each allows it to operate at the higher rez... 

HZ_zps7bu5sjhb.png

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

i realize you are not using Nvidia stuff... and different rez/hz... but there may be a similar option for you...

Afaik crimson drivers really hate 1440p atm.. Don't know why.

Hmm why you say that? Your having problem with yours as well? 

But before upgrading to Crimson, which was still CCC 15.7 Im too facing this problem already. This is the main reason why I even moved to Crimson, so I doubt Crimson have anything to do with not allowing me to set it pass 100hz Refresh Rate. 

I don't think it's a cable problem, as I've tried changing to DVI-D Dual Link which also came with the monitor, it doesn't work, with DVI Im stuck at 60hz max, far worst. But AMD Crimson software shows my monitor is capable of 120hz, also Im not from US lol, so Amazon won't cut it for purchase. 

Another thing, I heard that it's best to get a VESA certified DP1.2 cable to avoid any issues like unable to set maximum refresh rate, FreeSync not working etc. 

How do I determine it's VESA certified ? 

But Im using the cable that came with the monitor though. 

As I've asked above, will I harm my Monitor / GPU / PC or anything if I were to use Custom Resolution ? 

I don't think it's a cable problem, as I've tried changing to DVI-D Dual Link which also came with the monitor, it doesn't work, with DVI Im stuck at 60hz max, far worst. But AMD Crimson software shows my monitor is capable of 120hz, also Im not from US lol, so Amazon won't cut it for purchase. 

Another thing, I heard that it's best to get a VESA certified DP1.2 cable to avoid any issues like unable to set maximum refresh rate, FreeSync not working etc. 
How do I determine it's VESA certified ? 
But Im using the cable that came with the monitor though. 

As I've asked above, will I harm my Monitor / GPU / PC or anything if I were to use Custom Resolution ? 

VESA is just the company that came up with the Displayport 'standard'

technically if you buy a Displayport cable it should be VESA certified, because if its not, its not really a 'Displayport' cable...

but just to make sure you're not buying a cable that is a cheap knock off that is not really a 'Displayport' cable this link has all the VESA certified companies / products... just find a cable that you want to buy and make sure its on this list before buying it, or find a cable on the list and search for that cable specifically

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/

----

and i dont really know anything about customs resolutions... but i dont see why it would hurt anything...  

or just read the reviews / Q&A of a product and ensure other ppl using that cable are getting the 1440 w/ 144hz that you desire 

and make sure its DP 1.2

or just read the reviews / Q&A of a product and ensure other ppl using that cable are getting the 1440 w/ 144hz that you desire 

and make sure its DP 1.2

Yeah I got bit confused about the DP 1.2 and 1.2a, now what I read that 1.2a is the new standards that supports FreeSync, is there such thing is a 1.2a cable ? Or it's like HDMI 2.0, as long I have a 1.2a ports for both GPU and monitor maybe ? It will work, and just a DP1.2 cable ( non " a " ) will still work then ? Also a DP1.2 cable for 144hz @ 2560X1440 spec is those which capable to transfer up to 21.6Gbs right ? 

Is there a way to determine whether it is a 1.2 cable ? Look for the 21.6Gbps on the cable ? 

Because the country where I live there are alot of knock off products, alot of " China " made ones which maybe fake or really low quality ones, it's already hard to find DP cable already not to mention to find a good and legit one....ordering from Amazon ( USA ) will be very costly but if it's a must that will be my last resort. But also changing the cable will too be my last resort, for now I will try to find out any other possible solutions on how to set my monitor to 144hz , maybe there are something I missed ?? Some settings or anything ?? 

Yeah I got bit confused about the DP 1.2 and 1.2a, now what I read that 1.2a is the new standards that supports FreeSync, is there such thing is a 1.2a cable ? Or it's like HDMI 2.0, as long I have a 1.2a ports for both GPU and monitor maybe ? It will work, and just a DP1.2 cable ( non " a " ) will still work then ? Also a DP1.2 cable for 144hz @ 2560X1440 spec is those which capable to transfer up to 21.6Gbs right ? 

Is there a way to determine whether it is a 1.2 cable ? Look for the 21.6Gbps on the cable ? 

Because the country where I live there are alot of knock off products, alot of " China " made ones which maybe fake or really low quality ones, it's already hard to find DP cable already not to mention to find a good and legit one....ordering from Amazon ( USA ) will be very costly but if it's a must that will be my last resort. But also changing the cable will too be my last resort, for now I will try to find out any other possible solutions on how to set my monitor to 144hz , maybe there are something I missed ?? Some settings or anything ?? 

ok yeah, DP 1.2a is what you need for Free-Sync... sorry im not an AMD / Radeon guy so i dont know stuff like that off the bat... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

"Dual-link DVI is limited in resolution and speed by the quality and therefore the bandwidth of the DVI cable, the quality of the transmitter, and the quality of the receiver; can only drive one monitor at a time; and cannot send audio data."

^^^i also found this at the bottom of that link i posted...

and as far as making sure its a DP 1.2a cable... i would just google "DP 1.2a... cable... for sale / buy" or something like that, i dont know what you guys use to buy stuff online... so i cant like link you anything like that... just make sure to read the comments / reviews of other ppl how have bought that product to verify its a DP 1.2a...

as for other possible solutions / something you missed / settings... i have know idea, its really hard to troubleshoot problems like this over the internet... 

ok yeah, DP 1.2a is what you need for Free-Sync... sorry im not an AMD / Radeon guy so i dont know stuff like that off the bat... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

"Dual-link DVI is limited in resolution and speed by the quality and therefore the bandwidth of the DVI cable, the quality of the transmitter, and the quality of the receiver; can only drive one monitor at a time; and cannot send audio data."

^^^i also found this at the bottom of that link i posted...

and as far as making sure its a DP 1.2a cable... i would just google "DP 1.2a... cable... for sale / buy" or something like that, i dont know what you guys use to buy stuff online... so i cant like link you anything like that... just make sure to read the comments / reviews of other ppl how have bought that product to verify its a DP 1.2a...

as for other possible solutions / something you missed / settings... i have know idea, its really hard to troubleshoot problems like this over the internet... 

So In a Nutshell, I would need a DP1.2 cable to get 144hz @ 2560X1440p, I've Google around about 1.2a for FreeSync, I think DP1.2 will work, as I've mentioned above I think it's something like HDMI 2.0 on NVIDIA cards, we won't need a new cable to run HDM I2.0, hope there's an expert here can confirm this. But still as I said it may not be a cable problem, but least it's good to know what am I needed to buy when the time comes. 

Hmm let's see if there's any other people with a solution or idea. I haven't try using Custom Res yet though, some did told me to use Custom Res to able my monitor to run at 144hz. 

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18659439&page=5

try reading this, it seems like most of these guys are using a custom resolution utility called ToastyX... i dont know if that is what is needed to achieve the 1440 / 144 or not... there is also talk about what cables they are using...

DVI can not run higher than 60hz at 2560x1440 unless you patch the driver.  2560x1440@100hz exceeds the pixel clock limit for DVI, which is 330.00 mhz. However, if you run the AMD/Nvidia ToastyX pixel clock patcher, you should be able to make a CUSTOM DETAILED STANDARD RESOLUTION in ToastyX CRU, for 2560x1440@100hz.  This has been tested and will work over DVI without problems.

There has been limited success with 2560x1440@120hz over DVI with this method.  You can try it, but the pixel clock will exceed TDMS limits.  I know on my XL2720Z, which is a 1920x1080 monitor, I can make BOTH a display scaled 2560x1440@100hz DVI AND displayport resolution without problems, with a 408 MHz pixel clock.  The OSD identifies it as 2560x1440 (the screenshot shows displayport, but I can make it work over DVI also), the refresh rate is reported as 60hz due to a firmware bug (don't ask me to explain, its the same reason why vertical total tweaks improve the blur reduction).

However, 115hz is the MAXIMUM I can do over displayport on this monitor, at this unofficial resolution overclock, because it's a displayport 1.1 monitor and is limited in pixel bandwidth before I get image corruption (I'm talking about at 2560x1440.  144hz works fine at native resolution!).  I can get an image at 2560x1440@120hz but there are flashing pixels all over the place.  However 2560x1440@115hz does NOT work over DVI (that's the point of this post)--it exceeds the TDMS controller limits and I just get a 'flashing/flickering" "OUT OF RANGE!" screen that keeps flickering on and off.

But 2560x1440@100hz WILL work over DVI.

As far as your problem, you need a CERTIFIED VESA displayport cable.  Cable matters is *NOT* VESA certified.

Accel UltraAV *IS* fully VESA certified AND GUARANTEED TO WORK.  Note: *VESA* OWNS displayport.

If you still can't get past 100hz over displayport after buying a VESA certified Accel UltraAV cable (up to 3 meters/10 feet) there is a firmware bug on XL2730Z which requires a factory reset sometimes.  you can enter the factory service menu by power off, hold down OSD buttons 3 and 4 for five seconds while powering on, release them, then enter the factory menu and choose Reset All or Recall all.  It might be called CLEAR USER on XL2730Z.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2222&start=20

Once you choose clear user, unplug the monitor from the wall for 30 seconds (FROM THE WALL, not the power button!!!) then wait.

You do this method if the "reset all" option in the regular OSD menu does not work for you.

qXd3idN.jpg

DVI can not run higher than 60hz at 2560x1440 unless you patch the driver.  2560x1440@100hz exceeds the pixel clock limit for DVI, which is 330.00 mhz. However, if you run the AMD/Nvidia ToastyX pixel clock patcher, you should be able to make a CUSTOM DETAILED STANDARD RESOLUTION in ToastyX CRU, for 2560x1440@100hz.  This has been tested and will work over DVI without problems.

There has been limited success with 2560x1440@120hz over DVI with this method.  You can try it, but the pixel clock will exceed TDMS limits.  I know on my XL2720Z, which is a 1920x1080 monitor, I can make BOTH a display scaled 2560x1440@100hz DVI AND displayport resolution without problems, with a 408 MHz pixel clock.  The OSD identifies it as 2560x1440 (the screenshot shows displayport, but I can make it work over DVI also), the refresh rate is reported as 60hz due to a firmware bug (don't ask me to explain, its the same reason why vertical total tweaks improve the blur reduction).

However, 115hz is the MAXIMUM I can do over displayport on this monitor, at this unofficial resolution overclock, because it's a displayport 1.1 monitor and is limited in pixel bandwidth before I get image corruption (I'm talking about at 2560x1440.  144hz works fine at native resolution!).  I can get an image at 2560x1440@120hz but there are flashing pixels all over the place.  However 2560x1440@115hz does NOT work over DVI (that's the point of this post)--it exceeds the TDMS controller limits and I just get a 'flashing/flickering" "OUT OF RANGE!" screen that keeps flickering on and off.

As far as your problem, you need a CERTIFIED VESA displayport cable.  Cable matters is *NOT* VESA certified.

Accel UltraAV *IS* fully VESA certified AND GUARANTEED TO WORK.  Note: *VESA* OWNS displayport.

If you still can't get past 100hz over displayport after buying a VESA certified Accel UltraAV cable (up to 3 meters/10 feet) there is a firmware bug on XL2730Z which requires a factory reset sometimes.  you can enter the factory service menu by power off, hold down OSD buttons 3 and 4 for five seconds while powering on, release them, then enter the factory menu and choose Reset All or Recall all.  It might be called CLEAR USER on XL2730Z.

Once you choose clear user, unplug the monitor from the wall for 30 seconds (FROM THE WALL, not the power button!!!) then wait.

You do this method if the "reset all" option in the regular OSD menu does not work for you.

WHAT? lol,,,

Scaler supersampling (downsampling) via EDID overrides.  Just showing that if a XL2720Z can run 2560x1440@100hz over DVI, the XL2730Z can also.

Note: I used a lower horizontal total on that screenshot to drop the pixel clock to 398 MHz (at the time I was having trouble getting even 115 hz working).  2720 is the default horizontal total for 2560x1440, and at 100hz, that should be around 408 MHz pixel clock with a 1500 vertical total.  I think 1510 VT is the default VT but the XL2720Z will go out of range at any VT higher than 1502 or lower than 1497 (as I said this is a firmware bug I'm exploiting just to get this resolution).  The XL2730Z will not have these firmware bugs so he will be able to get these resolutions much easier than me (e.g Vertical total 1510 will work correctly on his XL2730Z).

The problem with 2560x1440@120hz over DVI is the TDMS controller limits.  TDMS is limited to 450 MHz (225 MHz for single link, 450 MHz for dual link), which is different from the PIXEL CLOCK LIMIT which is a software based limit of 330 mhz.  Going past 450 MHz is all about if the TDMS, cable and video card can handle it.  Some people have managed 519 MHz over Dual link DVI before (when overclocking 1080p Qinx Korean monitors to 200hz-240hz refresh rate).

qXd3idN.jpg

My GOD that's alot to process for my tiny little brain lol !! 

I barely understood everything, but I got most of it....actually since Crimson software released we won't need to use ToastyX, there is a built in Custom Res settings in the Radeon Settings I could use that if I want, it's the same as CRU (Custom Res Utility) as I've seen. 

@Falkentyne since you been using Custom Res I guess you can guarantee me it's safe and it won't do any harm to my PC / GPU / Monitor then ? 

But for now I maybe will give this solution a try. 

" there is a firmware bug on XL2730Z which requires a factory reset sometimes.  you can enter the factory service menu by power off, hold down OSD buttons 3 and 4 for five seconds while powering on, release them, then enter the factory menu and choose Reset All or Recall all.  It might be called CLEAR USER on XL2730Z.

You do this method if the "reset all" option in the regular OSD menu does not work for you. " 

For the cable, I doubt I can get it here, may have to import it if I seriously want to. But Im gonna try both the Custom Res and Reset solution first and see how it goes...

Some people have had problems getting the Crimson utility to work.

Sometimes it says "this resolution is not supported by your display" even if it is.

ToastyX CRU always works.

You also still need the DVI pixel clock patcher even if you want to use Crimson.

There's no danger with custom resolutions.  It either works or it doesn't.

here is a firmware bug on XL2730Z which requires a factory reset sometimes.  you can enter the factory service menu by power off, hold down OSD buttons 3 and 4 for five seconds while powering on, release them, then enter the factory menu and choose Reset All or Recall all.  It might be called CLEAR USER on XL2730Z.

OMG !! !!! IT WORKS !! WAO !! FINALLY !! IM SO THANKFUL !! You're amazing dude !! After asking so many people even BenQ themselves, you're the only one who knew what was the problem and able to actually solved it !! 

It's exactly like what you said, it's a bug !! All I had to do is 

1) Power off

2) Hold Button 3 and 4, Power On ( while still holding Button 3 and 4 ), after 5 seconds release it. 

3) Click any OSD Buttons, enter Menu and it will display the Factory Settings Menu, navigate it via the OSD Buttons, and like you said CLEAR USER. Monitor resets. 

4) Power off monitor, unplug it from the power cord from wall, after about 30 seconds or so, I heard a USB disconnected sound from my PC, plug back in the power cord to the wall, turn on monitor and bam !

5) Go to Displaying settings and finally I can set it to 144hz ! 

Even Radeon Settings are finally displaying my FreeSync being 40-144hz !! I guess it actually works !! 

Now the biggest question is, WHAT CAUSED THIS BUG ?? Will it happen again ?? 

This felt rather unpleasant, I did spent like a fortune on this monitor, in the US it may only cost like 400 - 500$, but it cost me 700$ here and this is based on the current high US exchange rate, so based on USD it's only 700$ but if it was the old lower exchange rate which is 3.30 or so ( the actual exchange rate actually which is, facing some economy crisis now so the rate went up ) I actually spent like 1000$ on this monitor....long story short, this monitor is two Months worth of my salary !! ( excluding the cost of my monthly needs ! ) 

144hz_zpswiw3uf5n.jpg

144hz%202_zpsaneorsco.jpg

IDK, it was CallsignVega on overclock.net who found out how to fix the stuck 60hz (displayport) issue.

It's a firmware bug of some sort and no one knows why it happens.

There are too many firmware bugs on the benq monitors.

You know how the Benq monitors have too aggressive overdrive (AMA) inverse ghosting even at AMA high, right?

The same firmware bugs (On the previous Z series, although it helps the XL2720Z far more than the XL2420Z) allow you to get a -perfect- overdrive calibration with blur reduction disabled, and a near perfect (close to how Lightboost looks on the 24" monitors) level of overdrive with Blur reduction enabled.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

The "AMA low" (reduced overdrive intensity) setting for blur reduction is not a bug; it's an undocumented "addition" to V3 firmware on the older Z monitors, but applying AMA low to blur reduction disabled IS a bug (but very VERY helpful bug!)

Similar bugs allow 3200x1800@60hz to work via EDID overdrives on XL2720Z and XL2420Z (displayport only), but blur reduction will not work; the backlight just shuts off. (Using AMD VSR or Nvidia DSR to downsample 3200x1800 instead of using EDID overrides avoids this issue, and then you can use single strobe 60hz blur reduction since it's actually 1920x1080 being downsampled by the GPU).

IDK, it was CallsignVega on overclock.net who found out how to fix the stuck 60hz (displayport) issue.

It's a firmware bug of some sort and no one knows why it happens.

There are too many firmware bugs on the benq monitors.

You know how the Benq monitors have too aggressive overdrive (AMA) inverse ghosting even at AMA high, right?

The same firmware bugs (On the previous Z series, although it helps the XL2720Z far more than the XL2420Z) allow you to get a -perfect- overdrive calibration with blur reduction disabled, and a near perfect (close to how Lightboost looks on the 24" monitors) level of overdrive with Blur reduction enabled.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

The "AMA low" (reduced overdrive intensity) setting for blur reduction is not a bug; it's an undocumented "addition" to V3 firmware on the older Z monitors, but applying AMA low to blur reduction disabled IS a bug (but very VERY helpful bug!)

Similar bugs allow 3200x1800@60hz to work via EDID overdrives on XL2720Z and XL2420Z (displayport only), but blur reduction will not work; the backlight just shuts off. (Using AMD VSR or Nvidia DSR to downsample 3200x1800 instead of using EDID overrides avoids this issue, and then you can use single strobe 60hz blur reduction since it's actually 1920x1080 being downsampled by the GPU).

Damn...and I bought BenQ is because people told me how great their monitors are but they have ton of great features for gaming as well, not to mention they heavily sponsor professional CS : GO gaming scenes.  But there is EIZO as well, that monitor isn't sold here and I think it's alot more expensive than BenQ even it isn't in US but definitely it will be here...

So thing is, will this bug just start coming back all sudden again ?? And there doesn't seem to be any Firmware update yet on their site for the XL2730Z  :mellow: 

Still even if that you aren't the one who thought of this solution and bug, you'r able to find this solution, I've been tearing my hair off trying to find a solution I've tried Googling myself honestly couldn't find anything ! Once again Tks alot  ! 

Are there any other good gaming monitor brands with FreeSync , 144hz and 1440p ? There are alot of 1440p monitors but not many 144hz ones. Most are IPS as well, is there really difference between 1ms GTG and 5ms GTG ?? I've jumped from a U2414H 60hz 8ms GTG monitor to this 144hz 1ms GTG + FreeSync, the XL2730Z literally felt a whole lot smoother and faster. I myself aren't sure what's the actual cause of this whether is the refresh rate / the response time / free sync, since almost everything have affect lol. 

But one thing is for sure, TN panels are horrible compared to IPS ! The viewing angle seriously a huge different never though it has such a big affect on my view pleasure. 

As title said, on the first day when I used the monitor I recall correctly Im able to run it at 2560X1440 @ 144hz Refresh Rate. 

But now all sudden, I can only set it to maximum of 100hz ! I even checked it in games on the Settings my Refresh Rate I can only set it up to 100hz that's it ! 

I've tried every possible solutions.

1) Updated Drivers from 15.7 to Crimson, didn't work. ( Clean Install, used DDU etc ) 

2) Tried using DVI-D Dual Link that came with the monitor, didn't work, Crimson show monitor capable of 120hz but it's worst I can only set it up to 60hz max. 

3) Disable FreeSync, didn't work. ( Also FreeSync is displaying the range of FPS 40 - 100 )  

4) Unplugging and re-plugging back cables, didn't work 

5) Found this weird solution online, some guy had same problem, he unplugged the power cord from the monitor and left it over night and it work for him 

6) Another person on this forum had same problem, he too can't set it over 100hz, but after trying on his friend PC and so it went back normal for him....

I am literally out of ideas....I doubt it's a cable problem, I couldn't be so bad luck till the point both brand new cables is faulty could I ?? I didn't even use the DVI-D Dual Link before. Also since now I've moved to AMD Crimson Drivers and now it supports Custom Res is it safe to actually use a Custom Res software ? Will it harm my PC / Monitor / GPU ? 

Also Im using Windows 7 64 BIT and Sapphire 290X Vapor-X 

DVI-D runs 2560X1600@60hz oficially but not 144hz. You would need displayport for 1440p@144hz. (DVI-D also can run 4k at 30hz)

Bad news ! After restarting my PC / turning off power to the monitor overnight, the bug came back ! 
Now Im stuck at 100hz again ! So does this mean this monitor is buggy / faulty and I have to RMA it ??? 

EDIT : Ok I've check the Ver Number of my monitor, the Firmware has been updated to V2.0, so I don't think it's a Firmware problem or rather it is but not because it's the older version. 

Now I did abit of test, after doing the factory reset over again, it works for the time, in games are displaying 144hz etc even in Radeon Settings, after that if I turn off power to my monitor ( from the wall socket not the power button ) and turning it back on afterwards, the refresh rate goes back to 100hz and stuck again like before I can no longer select 144hz. 

I've even tried turning off AMA and that doesn't affect it.
Also there is a funny thing I found out that by setting it to 1920X1080, Im able to set it at 144hz, but If I were to change it back to 2560X1440, I no longer able to, the maximum refresh rate is 100hz...

Another trick I've tried now is using Custom Res in the Radeon Settings, following by this guide. I used the CRU to get my monitor's specs and to set it. 
Now if I set anything above 100hz on 1440p ( actually even 100hz didn't work as well ) it won't work ! It kept saying the the custom res is not compatible with my display...
If it's 60hz it works. 

So could this be a monitor faulty ? Doesn't feel like it's the GPU Driver, as this is already happening since 15.7 which made me upgrade to 15.11 and it's still the same...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I had it one to one exchange with the retail shop, it's been a Week now, so far the monitor is finally working properly as it should. 
Able to set it to 144hz no problem ! So I guess it was a buggy monitor before, such a shame even that I did pay for 700$ for it ! 

So anyone else facing this problem I suggest you to send yours to RMA.