Repeater? Another router? pros and cons

Snow0296

Hi guys, I have to move my computer to another place in the house. From the usual spot which is vertically 1 floor above the router to another floor diagonally. Although I havent try to use it with my computer, my macbook is not able to get wireless signal (and im pretty sure Macbook Air has quite a good wifi rang). So just in case its not receiving any signal, which is better? a wireless repeater or another router? in terms of cost?

Thanks in advance, im sorry if this is a repost, i cant seem to find an answer.

A repeater is probably the cheaper option, depending on what one you get, but another router will give you extras, like Ethernet ports.

About your issue with your MBA, your router might not be strong enough, or you have very thick floors.

Why not get an accespoint instead?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

A repeater is probably the cheaper option, depending on what one you get, but another router will give you extras, like Ethernet ports.

About your issue with your MBA, your router might not be strong enough, or you have very thick floors.

I guess the router is not strong enough, vertically it reaches the 3rd floor but to a certain range.

I dont think I need ethernet ports. most of the devices at home are wireless, only my computer has an ethernet.

Why not get an accespoint instead?

that might work. How is that more beneficial compared to the other 2 options? 

I assume u have a Ethernet connector somewhere around?

+ It is cheaper then a new router

+ won't cause networking issues (unable to acces other PC's through network because you are behind 2nd router)

+ give you better network speed. ex. Let's say you put your range extender somewhere where your connection speed is only about 60% of it's original strenght. It will only be able to extend that 60% (same reason why you shouldn't put it on the other edge of your wifi signal.

The only downside I can think of is that you need a wired connection going into it, but I think there are power-line versions also available.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I assume u have a Ethernet connector somewhere around?

+ It is cheaper then a new router

+ won't cause networking issues (unable to acces other PC's through network because you are behind 2nd router)

+ give you better network speed. ex. Let's say you put your range extender somewhere where your connection speed is only about 60% of it's original strenght. It will only be able to extend that 60% (same reason why you shouldn't put it on the other edge of your wifi signal.

The only downside I can think of is that you need a wired connection going into it, but I think there are power-line versions also available.

That might work, theres an ethernet cable running to the second floor which I can use. Just wondering if repeaters has ethernet input so i can output the full wifi strength through it?

That might work, theres an ethernet cable running to the second floor which I can use. Just wondering if repeaters has ethernet input so i can output the full wifi strength through it?

I don't think so because then it would be called an acces point

But don't take my word for it because I am not an expert :P

Do your research ;)

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

you re better off with a router on the 1st floor connected with a ethernet cable.

for your uses, a access point is a router with dhcp disabled, no point buying a acces point instead of a router for your applications.

a wirelss repeater is always slower that a router with direct cable. (no random droppout and what not). and you need to place it in range of your current wifi but not so close or you won t get signal where you need it.

if you can, run a cable

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I don't think so because then it would be called an acces point

But don't take my word for it because I am not an expert :P

Do your research ;)

Alright, thank you very much, Ill fo my part :D

you re better off with a router on the 1st floor connected with a ethernet cable.

for your uses, a access point is a router with dhcp disabled, no point buying a acces point instead of a router for your applications.

a wirelss repeater is always slower that a router with direct cable. (no random droppout and what not). and you need to place it in range of your current wifi but not so close or you won t get signal where you need it.

if you can, run a cable

Alright, thanks man :D