Ducky Shine 3 Unboxing and Review

Whiskers

Hey guys.

So I ordered myself a new keyboard yesterday in preparation for the new computer I'm going to be building soon, and decided upon a Ducky Shine 3 with cherry MX Blue switches. Well it arrived about an hour ago, and I thought I'd make a post here to share my experience and thoughts. :D

NOTE: Apologies for the large size of the images below. I'll be resizing them soon, so watch this space!

20130824_112653.jpg

20130824_113106.jpg

20130824_113617.jpg

20130824_114525.jpg

So far, I am absolutely in love with the feel of typing on them. They are actually lighter to type upon than my previous keyboard (a membrane Dell keyboard) but feel unspeakably better. I find myself typing quite a lot faster and have already noticed in the short time I've had with it so far that I am making considerably fewer mistakes when typing.

The one sort of downside I have with it so far is that the keys don't require as much force to bottom out as I was expecting. As I mentioned above, my previous membrane keyboard actually required more force. However I don't really mind it yet as it's still overall significantly better than the membrane was and I'm very happy with it!

I'll be updating this over time if I have new experiences, thoughts of information to share. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Nice, I really would like a tenkeyless or 60% version though!!

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Cherry MX Blues. :) I'll add it to my original post.

I use the same keyboard with the same switches, I just have red backlight and I use metal keycaps on the WASD keys. I really like it so far.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I use the same keyboard with the same switches, I just have red backlight and I use metal keycaps on the WASD keys. I really like it so far.

Ah yeah. I got the white backlight.

Yeah it seems brilliant so far. But now I have a thirst to buy more mechanical keyboards. D=

I'm going to be getting a ducky shine III when i build my first pc so that translate to my first mech keyboard, I'm going to get blue leds and cherry mx browns. I'm quite exited.

Yeah it seems brilliant so far. But now I have a thirst to buy more mechanical keyboards. D=

How much did you pay for it

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I'm going to be getting a ducky shine III when i build my first pc so that translate to my first mech keyboard, I'm going to get blue leds and cherry mx browns. I'm quite exited.

Awesome choice, man. You should post a topic when you get it! :D

How much did you pay for it

With delivery charges it came to a total of £152.48.

Where did you buy it from? I can't find it on Newegg or Amazon.

EDIT: I just found it on NCIX, but they are only available to pre-order. How'd you get one?

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

EDIT: I just found it on NCIX, but they are only available to pre-order. How'd you get one?

I bought it from CCLOnline

I'm not sure if they ship to the US, though...

For the love of God, don't start down this road! :blink:  I started out wanting three mechanical KB's for my 3 rigs.......as of now, I have 15 MKB's. It's not over yet, I still have a Leopold FC660M Cherry Clear and a YOTS Cherry Blue on the way (both have been fully paid up).

20130818_145521_zps6ceea91e.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I'd have to rename mine to Dusty Shine with the state of my room, I would love one though

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

20130818_145521_zps6ceea91e.jpg

That... is... awesome!

I just want a couple different mechanical keyboards to try the different switches. Especially the Cherry MX Greens - I'm a pretty heavy typer so I imagine I'd quite like those.

Also want a Corsair K70. Dat aluminium backplate... mmm. :D

I'd have to rename mine to Dusty Shine with the state of my room, I would love one though

Haha. I'm OCD about keeping my keyboard clean to be honest. Even with my last keyboard, a membrane Dell keyboard that came with my computer, I would take it apart every so often to clean it thoroughly. Can't stand a dirty keyboard. :)

Damn you beat me to the review! Oh well. I also have the shine three with blue switches. I love it beyond belief. The rubber feet on it are amazing and will not let this keyboard move unless you want it to.  The only thing I can find to be annoyed by is that the stabilizers on the longer keys are very noticeable. This may just be because I am using Blues, but I would have liked to see stronger stabilizers. But that is the only fault and it is easy to get passed. 

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

I'll be getting my aluminum YOTS Cherry Blue later today, or tomorrow, I'll post impressions and pics of it when I get it....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

TigerImports is the only place I've found them (I'm in USA), but a lot are sold out... as expected.

http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=290

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I'll be getting my aluminum YOTS Cherry Blue later today, or tomorrow, I'll post impressions and pics of it when I get it....

Please do! I've not been able to afford one so this would be very nice indeed.

This just makes me want a mech keyboard even more, I went to a local hardware store during the weekend and tried all the common switch types, so lovely  :wub: , now if i only I could justify spending 130 euros of the money I received from helping my dad with the roof for a mechanical keyboard. Only if I could get a one for 80 e or something. But a nice review, keep it up 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

This just makes me want a mech keyboard even more, I went to a local hardware store during the weekend and tried all the common switch types, so lovely  :wub: , now if i only I could justify spending 130 euros of the money I received from helping my dad with the roof for a mechanical keyboard. Only if I could get a one for 80 e or something. But a nice review, keep it up 

You can try a Cooler Master Quick Fire TK, very nice board, I have one as well. Ducky tend to be more expensive, while Cooler Master isn't seen as premium as Ducky, their boards are pretty good value and quality. My only gripe with CM is......the quality of their key caps, especially the ones on my two Storm Triggers, are pretty atrocious. they shine very easily.....

You can try a Cooler Master Quick Fire TK, very nice board, I have one as well. Ducky tend to be more expensive, while Cooler Master isn't seen as premium as Ducky, their boards are pretty good value and quality. My only gripe with CM is......the quality of their key caps, especially the ones on my two Storm Triggers, are pretty atrocious. they shine very easily.....

I've been looking at the cm storm Tk ones, the only problem is I really like typing numbers with the numberpad. And I know that the cm strom ones are just as sturdy as duckys, TKs are just so damn cheap that I might have to pick one up

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

nice.  I like how theres minimal packaging waste.  Instead, the primary focus is on getting a quality keyboard to the customer. I have DK9087 shine II.  it's the bomb!  :D

Please do! I've not been able to afford one so this would be very nice indeed.

The local distributor in my neck of the woods have posted pics of the YOTS at their shop, all ready for sale and for those, like me, who have pre-ordered ours. I'm stoked! :wub:

The local distributor in my neck of the woods have posted pics of the YOTS at their shop, all ready for sale and for those, like me, who have pre-ordered ours. I'm stoked! :wub:

Do you have a DSLR? I can't find any YOTS wallpapers anywhere.