Ti 84 Plus C Silver Edition Review - The Best Calculator ever?

AlTech

I love this calculator - it can do everything that I've every wanted it to. I had no complaints up until now. REALLY TI? That CPU is way older than the majority of the people using the calculator! No wonder it takes so long to graph things - even while using lower resolution lines.

Luckily, I don't feel like I was cheated for my money. For some reason, when I went calc. shopping at Staples 3 years ago, the TI-84+C SE was $100 - the same price as the TI-83. If it was $200, I probably wouldn't have gotten it.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Very true, I paid $180AUD for my CAS CX for school.

For SQA exams, CAS handhelds aren't allowed so I have a normal CX which costed a hefty £90 for school 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Or just get wabimeitu...

you can run TI83-85 on phone

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

so what can this one do that a Ti83+ can't? 

I also have an nSpire CAS btw. I rarely use it though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Or just get wabimeitu...

you can run TI83-85 on phone

That's fine for homework, but you obviously can't have a phone out during a test.

Thanks for the review. I bought mine for $90. They can definetly be found for a fraction of the $200 that you mentioned in a local Office Depot. They are currently selling on Amazon for $110. I believe that the TI Nspire CX CAS fits better into the 150-200 price point.

i just bought the TI 36x pro, and as an engineering student not allowed a programmable calculator, this is the scientific calculator that i would recommend. 

i would love to upgrade my TI 84 plus though

I have a Texas Instruments Ti-Nspire CAS CX, also very expensive, but it can play Gameboy Games!!!

wat....

Holy shit... Thanks, but ill stick to my casio fxgt85 plus :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

• 1 month later...

wat....

Oh, I must not have seen your post.

You just download a program and install it to your calculator, then you can play GB Roms.

I still have my TI-84 Plus. That thing was (and still is) beast.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

But will it blend?

Does it beat TITAN?

Can I jam it up my ass?

Find out next time on, Absolute Savage!

These things probably cost like $5 to make and you're not paying for the software since you can download the OS file right form TI and emulate it for free.  I remember when I got my Ti 84 Plus (not C) back... like 8 years ago, it was $100 & something, so if they're $200 now that's just absolutely insane.  These things are 99.9% profit and while they're nice devices, they should be priced appropriately (like absolutely no more than $35)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Love this calculator.. Haven't figured out a way to play games on it though....

-SelectivePixel 

What I don't like about this calculator is that it's slower at displaying graphs than the black and white calculators. I also hate how there's the drawing animation when drawing graphs which is pointless since the graphs are color coded. It's still an awesome calculator though, its battery lasts me weeks on a charge.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

What I don't like about this calculator is that it's slower at displaying graphs than the black and white calculators. I also hate how there's the drawing animation when drawing graphs which is pointless since the graphs are color coded. It's still an awesome calculator though, its battery lasts me weeks on a charge.

what do you mean the drawing animation?  I know at least on the non-c version that you can set it to either draw each line one after the next, or all simultaneously, but regardless it would take a while as it calculated the whole line

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

what do you mean the drawing animation?  I know at least on the non-c version that you can set it to either draw each line one after the next, or all simultaneously, but regardless it would take a while as it calculated the whole line

It draws it for you on the display like a person is tracing the graph. It doesn't appear instantaneously like if you try desmos calculator https://www.desmos.com/calculator

It draws it for you on the display like a person is tracing the graph. It doesn't appear instantaneously like if you try desmos calculator https://www.desmos.com/calculator

are you sure that isn't it just taking while to calculate?  I know there are a bunch of different line styles, like normal, thick, shaded under, etc and one of them sounds like what you are describing, but it could also just be taking a while to calculate.

are you sure that isn't it just taking while to calculate?  I know there are a bunch of different line styles, like normal, thick, shaded under, etc and one of them sounds like what you are describing, but it could also just be taking a while to calculate.

Like even if you plot something as simple as y=x. It still takes time to draw it out for you when you hit the graph button. It's very annoying. Understandable for harder stuff, but not for simpler equations.

Like even if you plot something as simple as y=x. It still takes time to draw it out for you when you hit the graph button. It's very annoying. Understandable for harder stuff, but not for simpler equations.

yeah I think it's just calculating that you are talking about.  Yes, it's kind of ridiculous that it's that slow, but that's what it's doing.  It's not intentional; it just an't go any faster

yeah I think it's just calculating that you are talking about.  Yes, it's kind of ridiculous that it's that slow, but that's what it's doing.  It's not intentional; it just an't go any faster

Even a 15mhz processor wouldn't have trouble plotting y=x. Remember 15mhz is 15million instructions per second. Plotting y=x probably takes milliseconds. I think the algorithm to display the graphs is the bottleneck. Either that or they're purposely slowing it down

Even a 15mhz processor wouldn't have trouble plotting y=x. Remember 15mhz is 15million instructions per second. Plotting y=x probably takes milliseconds. I think the algorithm to display the graphs is the bottleneck. Either that or they're purposely slowing it down

Could be the displaying of it that's an issue.  This makes sense since just opening some of the larger menus takes a noticeable amount of time (~0.2 s)

Could be the displaying of it that's an issue.  This makes sense since just opening some of the larger menus takes a noticeable amount of time (~0.2 s)

Yeah. Well graphing takes a couple seconds almost which is a lot worse than 0.2s

Yeah. Well graphing takes a couple seconds almost which is a lot worse than 0.2s

I know, it's strange.  I do think its displaying that slows it down though; I tried plotting a more complicated chart that only had valid values for x > 0, and it started charting at the y axis almost immediately, but then took a few seconds to finish, so obviously it was able to calculate the left side really fast and then just not show it, but showing the right side took a while.  I don't think they're intentionally slowing it down, but they may be doing it inefficiently; I feel like it could do the entire calculation "in its head" and then just output the final image, rather than displaying and calculating as it goes.