California sales of Tesla beat: Chrysler, Volvo, Buick, Porche, and others...

GoodBytes

In June 2013, Tesla outsold more cars in California than the top ten big-name brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chrysler, Fiat, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mitsubishi, Porsche and Volvo, reports Quartz.

auto-sales-forecast.jpg

If you’ve visited California lately and there seem to be a lot of Tesla Model S’s on the road, it’s not your imagination. Californians are snapping up the luxury electric sports sedan like organic dry-farmed tomatoes, according to sales figures. In June Tesla outsold Buick, Cadillac, Chrysler, Fiat, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mitsubishi, Porsche and Volvo.

Impressive. Even more so when you consider that Tesla sells a single model while most of those old-line automakers have showrooms full of different cars, from compacts to sport utility vehicles. The numbers compiled by Polk for the California New Car Dealers Association also report that Tesla grabbed 12% of the luxury sports category in the first half of 2013, beating the Audi A6 and Lexus GS.

Tesla sold 4,714 Model S’s in the first half of the year with 1,097 of those registered in June. Among other cars the Model S has outsold in California, the US’s largest and trend-setting automotive market, are the Audi A4, the Mercedes M Class, the BMW X5 and various compact cars and sport utility vehicles.

The numbers are small, of course, compared to the 33,987 Toyota Priuses and 31,576 Honda Accords sold in the first half of 2013. But the trend line seems clear: Since its launch in June 2012, when eight were sold, the Model S has quickly gone from a plaything of Silicon Valley and Hollywood moguls to a direct competitor of various ultimate German driving machines. 

Sales Figures: http://www.cncda.org/secure/GetFile.aspx?ID=2583

Source and article Image source: http://qz.com/118324/heres-10-major-automakers-tesla-motors-is-outselling-in-california/

Good, they deserve it.

I would buy one myself, but I can't justify spending $60k-$100k on a car, especially when I could get a Honda Civic for far less and still be nice. But hot damn I want a Model S....

Damn. Well now I know why I'm seeing so many every time I go on the freeway! xD

Only people from California call interstates or highways, freeways

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Only people from California call interstates or highways, freeways

Really? I thought it was more of and "urban vs rural" thing.

I'm from canada anything with more than 1 lane each direction is basically a freeway lol

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Really? I have yet to see one on the road. Anyways, yeah, they do deserve it.

"No signature"

I've only seen two here in Vancouver, they look so cool! I really want one.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

So sleek. I know what my first car purchase will be.