Gtx 970 vs R9 390 ? GTX 960? black Friday deals.

QueenObama

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832

GTX 970

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127874

R9 390

Can someone explain the difference, i don't want a whole bunch of useless comments just tell me the straight up facts which is the better card , 5 FPS doesn't matter , im talking about quality for my system.

Also now that 960 prices are so low are they the better deal?

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

Then do whatever the fuck you were going to do anyway

Quality =NVIDIA

Price to performance ratio = AMD

That said the 970 is a gimped card and only has 3.5gb of real VRAM, go for the Sapphire 390 8GB edition :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

The r9 390 beats in higher resolutions mostly on par in 1080p (though jay did manage his to beat the 970 in 1080p) but regardless the r9 390 has a vRam advantage.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

a 390 will beat a 970 every day. Quality, however, is where the Nvidia-AMD discussion starts. You want a power efficient build? Go Nvidia. You just want flat out power? Go AMD. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

The R9 390 is more powerful, has much more VRAM (8GB) and usually costs less. It consumes a bit more power (320W) and hotter.

The GTX 970 is less powerful, has much less VRAM (3.5GB) and usually costs more. It consumes a little less power (290~W) and colder.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Here is jay's review

and pc perspective review

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Sapphire-Nitro-Radeon-R9-390-8GB-Review

Pascal laptops guide

Quality =NVIDIA

get out of here smh

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

a 390 will beat a 970 every day. Quality, however, is where the Nvidia-AMD discussion starts. You want a power efficient build? Go Nvidia. You just want flat out power? Go AMD. 

Do you have a pcpartpicker link for your build?

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

Then do whatever the fuck you were going to do anyway

Do you have a pcpartpicker link for your build?

I do not. I should make one... On it!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

get out of here smh

Unless you have any constructive criticism to what I said, i wouldn't diss other people's opinions.

I've had nothing but top quality products from Nvidia, when compared to overheating ovens that AMD brings out. And don't even get me started on the build quality of their flagship card, the Fury X. Noisy pump, it runs hot even for a water cooled chip and looks cheaply made once the cover is off.

If you can't decide between the r9 390/970 and the 960 get a R9 290 or a r9 380x since they sit in between.

Pascal laptops guide

when compared to overheating ovens that AMD brings out. 

Having a high heat output chip does not reflect quality. Nvidia had some pretty damn hot cards a few generations ago.

And anyways, it's not AMD's fault you have bad case cooling. I have run two very hot AMD solutions (R9 290X Crossfire & the 7990) with no problems what so ever

Also, 50 C is not that hot... (citing hardware canucks for this one)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Having a high heat output chip does not reflect quality. Nvidia had some pretty damn hot cards a few generations ago.

And anyways, it's not AMD's fault you have bad case cooling. I have run two very hot AMD solutions (R9 290X Crossfire & the 7990) with no problems what so ever

Also, 50 C is not that hot... (citing hardware canucks for this one)

I have superior case cooling, I wasn't refering to myself when talking about the cooling part. And oh 50C is doable of course, probably at the cost of high fan speed/noise. Honestly mate, you cant justify their quality, there is none. They are cheaper for a reason. :)

I've had AMD from 2007 all the way till 2011 and Nvidia ever since, and will never go back. 

I have superior case cooling, I wasn't refering to myself when talking about the cooling part. And oh 50C is doable of course, probably at the cost of high fan speed/noise. Honestly mate, you cant justify their quality, there is none. They are cheaper for a reason. :)

I've had AMD from 2007 all the way till 2011 and Nvidia ever since, and will never go back. 

So @App4that 's R9 390 being at 60*C with 35% fan speed is a miracle? Please take your bias and leave

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

And oh 50C is doable of course, probably at the cost of high fan speed/noise.

Honestly mate, you cant justify their quality, there is none. They are cheaper for a reason. :)

1. Lol, the card isn't loud at all, it just had pump whine (which has since been resolved I believe)

2. Just because they have better pricing doesn't make them cheap, they sure do demolish Nvidia when it comes to low and mid range cards, and you know it too.

But of course you're not biased, right?

1. Lol, the card isn't loud at all, it just had pump whine (which has since been resolved I believe)

2. Just because they have better pricing doesn't make them cheap, they sure do demolish Nvidia when it comes to low and mid range cards, and you know it too.

let him buy gimped 960s with 128-bit buses and 3.5GB 970s - he'll come around at some point when Nvidia start asking for money to unlock half the VRAM lol

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I would say the 390 for sure. More vram and power.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

let him buy gimped 960s with 128-bit buses and 3.5GB 970s - he'll come around at some point when Nvidia start asking for money to unlock half the VRAM lol

I don't buy cheap cards, always have gone for the top card nvidia offers. Also I agree that amd is better in the lower range, never said they werent.

And lol speaking of voltages and overclocking ... fury.. *cough*.. 

AMD needs to stick to mid range and low range GPUs, they are good at it. Anything higher you are wasting money.

I don't buy cheap cards, always have gone for the top card nvidia offers. Also I agree that amd is better in the lower range, never said they werent.

And lol speaking of voltages and overclocking ... fury.. *cough*.. 

AMD needs to stick to mid range and low range GPUs, they are good at it. Anything higher you are wasting money.

Nothing wrong with the Fury series - Fury is soundly beating a 980 and CF Fury (non-X) beats or matches SLI 980 Tis If I recall correctly. Fury X is still fine - quiter and cooler than any 980 Ti/Titan X - perfect for people like me who are paranoid about temps :)

Nothing wrong with the Fury series - Fury is soundly beating a 980 and CF Fury (non-X) beats or matches SLI 980 Tis If I recall correctly. Fury X is still fine - quiter and cooler than any 980 Ti/Titan X - perfect for people like me who are paranoid about temps :)

You must be dreaming or something. My 980ti Hybrid idles at 26C and is 38C on full load while being heavily overclocked. Pretty sure a Fury X hovers around 50C if not more. And my room temp is 22C fyi.

A single Fury X is not faster than a 980ti, and thats before the 980ti is overclocked.

In crossfire they seem to scale better, but even then, only at 4K is where I have seen them better the Ti, but with 4GB of VRAM, i wouldn't even dream of 4K gaming on the new AAA titles.

You must be dreaming or something. My 980ti Hybrid idles at 26C and is 38C on full load while being heavily overclocked. Pretty sure a Fury X hovers around 50C if not more. And my room temp is 22C fyi.

A single Fury X is not faster than a 980ti, and thats before the 980ti is overclocked.

In crossfire they seem to scale better, but even then, only at 4K is where I have seen them better the Ti, but with 4GB of VRAM, i wouldn't even dream of 4K gaming on the new AAA titles.

You do know that you can't compare GB between HBM and GDDR5 for the same reason you can't compare Jiggawatts between Haswell and Vishera, right?

As for power - currently a Fury X outperforms a reference 980 Ti and with the state of Nvidia's drivers and Crimson coming I'm interested how this will end

You do know that you can't compare GB between HBM and GDDR5 for the same reason you can't compare Jiggawatts between Haswell and Vishera, right?

As for power - currently a Fury X outperforms a reference 980 Ti and with the state of Nvidia's drivers and Crimson coming I'm interested how this will end

I can't take you seriously anymore hahahah

Chart-1.jpg?resize=940%2C1719

Source: http://www.babeltechreviews.com/the-xfx-fury-x-vs-the-gtx-980-ti-showdown-redux-no-3/4/

That Fury X must be blowing the 980ti out of the.. oh wait. its not. In any res. At all. Look at overclocked results too, barely changes for the fury haha. AMD fanboys make me laugh.

On 1080, I'd say GTX 970. The extra 8gb vram helps with higher resolutions.

IMO, get whatever is cheaper for you

I can't take you seriously anymore hahahah

Chart-1.jpg?resize=940%2C1719

Source: http://www.babeltechreviews.com/the-xfx-fury-x-vs-the-gtx-980-ti-showdown-redux-no-3/4/

That Fury X must be blowing the 980ti out of the.. oh wait. its not. In any res. At all. Look at overclocked results too, barely changes for the fury haha. AMD fanboys make me laugh.

What's the cost of the 980ti? It better perform better.

No reason to attack ether brand, both make good cards and in curtain categories beat the other in price/performance. You can tell where one is winning because fanboys make stupid claims about heat and power usage. ;)

If anyone asks you never saw me.