Dell Studio 1555 - terrific performance after years (even after clean install)

peterpepo
Hi All,

I am running 6 yo laptop, which perfomance is terrific.

I was hoping, maybe you could try to help me out reviving it.

This laptop is dating back to 2009, with following specs:

Studio 1555 : Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600(2.40GHz,1066MHz,3MB)

Wireless : Europe Dell Bluetooth 370 Card

Display : 15.6in Widescreen High Definition (1366X768) WLED with TrueLife

Camera : Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Camera

Graphics : 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 545v

Memory : 4096MB (2x2048) 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel

Battery : Primary 9-cell 85W/HR LI-ION

Hard Drive : 500GB Samsung Evo 840

Wireless : Intel WiFi Link 5300 (802.11 a/g/n) Half Mini Card European

Originally, this laptop came with windows vista preinstalled. Vista experience was terrible, fortunatelly win 7 came out soon after purchase, so it was my os for whole time.

This month, I realized, notebook is pretty slow to others, or to say better - based on workload I am putting onto it.

There were days, in far past, when I was editing videos on Sony Vegas. It was handling multitasking, virtual machines pretty easily.

Today, the notebook "barely moves", actually it almost doesn't work. No more vegas, premiere pro, multitasking, I can't even think of virtual machines.

SSD is quite new, only 2TB of total writes, I did clean install last week, instaled drivers from manufacturer page, installed updates (ignored win10).

The performance is terrible.

I can't run Netbeans nor eclipse, to do just basic java development. Cpu & ram instantly 100% usage.

I have even switched from Chrome to Firefox due to memory usage, seemed to help for a bit, but now firefox almost kills my pc.

There are no background services running (except skype) + win defender.

Installed programs: Firefox, Office07, Vlc.

Yesterday, ntb was heavy breathing, starting to levitate due to cooling fan running at full speed.

Is there any way to help him, or tossing it is only solution ?

I have to add, that this is not my primary machine. For that purposes, I have desktop for gaming, editing, programming. Purchasing new laptop would be easiest option, for sure, but for reason stated above, that is not an option. I'm using this laptop only occascionaly.

However, it would be nice from laptop to run office, netbeans, adobe reader smoothly -> programs which used to work flawlessly couple years ago. Updating to w81 / 10 seems to not be an option due to missing driver for my gpu.

On the other hand, I have to say, that I tried installing ubuntu 14.04lts3. After opening sys monitor, firefox, settings and couple other programs, ram usage was only 1GB/4 - 25%, cpu at about 10-20%.

Unfortunatelly, this was just a test. I think there are no proper drivers for my machine, mainly gpu (I do not want to play games), but gpu fan was running constantly, what doesn't happen on windows. Also web page scrolling was tearing in ubuntu.

I am windows guy, thus staying on windows would be option #1 for me.

If there are any ways what to check / do to stay on windows, that would be great. I really don't feel like switching to linux.

This is laptop, exchanging cpu woudln't be easy.
Windows is clean install, 1 week old.

This is laptop, exchanging cpu woudln't be easy.

Windows is clean install, 1 week old.

It's Socket P.

It's not soldered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Extreme-QX9300-SLB5J-2-53GHz-12M-Processor-Mobile-km-/401026094701?hash=item5d5f04966d:g:r9MAAOSwiwVWRQOX

is a option

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Problem is windows 7. After all updates it will be slow. If you want to continue with that, you need to manually disable all background processes and bare with it. I'm in similiar position with my laptop. Its CPU power just isn't enough for multitasking with flash. Or even loading 10 websites.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv