Oculus Rift virtual reality could be heading to Android

Oculus-Rift-Wow.jpg

In an interview with Eurogamer at GameCom, Oculus founder Palmer Luckey revealed that Android is in the company's future plans. Although this may not be their next platform , he states that their developers ahve been working with Android for a while and it's the only mobile platform they're interested in.

The reason we chose Android is because, well, what are the other options? There's iOS where you can't plug anything into their systems, and Windows Phone where there's not much out there

With mobile graphics improving as fast as it is, it may not be too long until they'll be powerful enough to offer a good experience on Oculus. Interestingly enough, Luckey has expressed his interest in Android and yet they seem to have no interest in next gen consoles.

We've chatted (with Microsoft and Sony), but they're trying to bring their new consoles out. It's a possibility - it would work. It's the same thing as iOS - it could technically work, but the business side isn't there.

This is possibly due to restrictions by Microsoft and Sony imposed on 3rd party devices which require the companies involved to work closely with Microsoft and Sony. On the other hand, Android's open nature grants them easier access to the platform.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/oculus-rift-android-258414/

Linus' future of consoles is seeming more and more realistic...

Wait how are consoles not powerful enough for Occulus rift but android is.... I thought they said that a couple weeks back

Wait how are consoles not powerful enough for Occulus rift but android is.... I thought they said that a couple weeks back

Android devices aren't powerful enough yet, but maybe they are in the future.

Android devices are open source, so when hardware gets better, the android platform becomes more powerful. right now the new consoles are more powerful tha android devices, but the consoles will be stuck at that level of performance for about a decade and if you look back one decade at phones, in 10 years phones will be more than capable of handling an oculus ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Android devices aren't powerful enough yet, but maybe they are in the future.

Android devices are open source, so when hardware gets better, the android platform becomes more powerful. right now the new consoles are more powerful tha android devices, but the consoles will be stuck at that level of performance for about a decade and if you look back one decade at phones, in 10 years phones will be more than capable of handling an oculus ;)

The reason he Oculus Rift hasn't really been considered yet for next gen consoles isn't because performance. As I explained in the article, Google's open nature means anyone can create a device that works with android without needing to get some sort of license or approval from Google, on the other hand devices made for use with consoles require the companies to work closely with Microsoft and Sony which is more time and effort than the company can afford for now and it may need to be modified or not approved at all.

I would only really purchase the Rift for PC anyways can't wait to play it with Star Citizen =)

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

Glad that they chose Android because Android is open for development which makes it easy for them to create apps for this and optimize it for the Android OS.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

well every 7 months or so we see a new arm processor that is 30% faster than the previous one. Consoles won't improve for another 10 years 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place