Posted · Original PosterOP

On a tight budget, I can get for nearly the same price:

CONFIG A ($350 CAD):

• Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3

or

CONFIG B ($330 CAD):

•  i5-4690K ($280 CAD)
  •  Raijintek Tisis CPU Cooler ($50 CAD)

Now these two configurations would cost me nearly the same thing. Which should I go for, considering that this is primarily for a gaming rig?

On the face of it, it sort of seems like the Xeon is a no-brainer, but even though games are better utilising more cores, I don't think 4+ is very useful, and the i5 will have better core speeds OC'd, so that might also be the route to go.

Also, is should I work on another cooler? It's heavily discounted, and I've heard it compared to the Noctua D12, but I'm not sure whether to believe that stuff.

well the xeon will perform worse in games that only use <=4 cores, but a lot of games these days especially more demanding ones are using up to 8

so i would get the xeon, cause its nice to be able to do other stuff while gaming like watching youtube videos or whatever with no performance impact

but before you buy them new check to see if anyone is selling used in your area, you can probably get a hundred dollars off if you buy used

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On a tight budget, I can get for nearly the same price:

CONFIG A ($350 CAD):

• Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3

or

CONFIG B ($330 CAD):

•  i5-4690K ($280 CAD)
  •  Raijintek Tisis CPU Cooler ($50 CAD)

Now these two configurations would cost me nearly the same thing. Which should I go for, considering that this is primarily for a gaming rig?

On the face of it, it sort of seems like the Xeon is a no-brainer, but even though games are better utilising more cores, I don't think 4+ is very useful, and the i5 will have better core speeds OC'd, so that might also be the route to go.

Also, is should I work on another cooler? It's heavily discounted, and I've heard it compared to the Noctua D12, but I'm not sure whether to believe that stuff.

Go for the Xeon, it'll help in mutli-treaded applications. 

CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Dell PowerEdge R210 II MDT/PDQ | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

well the xeon will perform worse in games that only use <=4 cores, but a lot of games these days especially more demanding ones are using up to 8

so i would get the xeon, cause its nice to be able to do other stuff while gaming like watching youtube videos or whatever with no performance impact

but before you buy them new check to see if anyone is selling used in your area, you can probably get a hundred dollars off if you buy used

How would the Xeon perform worse?, it's equal to an i7.... Just without an iGPU.

CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Dell PowerEdge R210 II MDT/PDQ | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

While the 4690K is technically better for games, due to its better individual core performance, the difference in FPS is either going to be nothing or very small, depending on the game. 

I'd go for the 1231v3, it's a much better all round performer and is basically a 4790, though a little slower. It will beat the i5 in multi-threaded applications and multi-tasking. 

What Games have you seen even come close to using 8, let alone 6 cores fully ?

but before you buy them new check to see if anyone is selling used in your are you can probably get a hundred dollars off if you buy used

I'd be very down to buy used (particularly for a locked card like the Xeon), but my local market is dry as can be... trying to find some stuff on /r/hardwareswap, but that's not proving great either atm (atleast not for Xeons)

I'd be very down to buy used (particularly for an unlocked card like the Xeon), but my local market is dry as can be... trying to find some stuff on /r/hardwareswap, but that's not proving great either atm (atleast not for Xeons)

yeah i see a lot more i5s and i7 being sold used than xeon 1231v3s

maybe you will come accross an i7 for the price of the i5/xeon

just look for a while, if you find nothing then get the xeon if you plan to play intensive triple a games :)

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If it's mainly for gaming the higher frequency of the i5 will allow you to get better performance in most games. However, some games like gta v will actually leverage the extra threads and make the xeon perform better. In general the difference is not huge, so personally I'd go for the xeon.

How would the Xeon perform worse?, it's equal to an i7.... Just without an iGPU.

a locked, underclocked i7.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

What Games have you seen even come close to using 8, let alone 6 cores fully ?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/236946-who-said-games-used-only-a-couple-threads/

Spoiler

it's not an i7

it has much lower clock speeds, nearly 3/4

it is also locked, so the i7 can perform even better when OCd

Spoiler

It has slightly slower clock speeds, so less performance from each core. It's not quite equal to a 4790, but not far off. 

200mhz difference. Also the Xeon can be slightly OC using BLCK. 

Hence why I said that it's not far off. True, but so can the 4790. And for a tiny bit more, the 4790K can be overclocked properly. 

The performance difference is negligible for games, really. 

Wow, very cool post... definetly shows that 4+ multithreading is a trend that has been around for longer than I would have thought. Great!

I'm going to bide my time to see if I can get something on the cheap used or on BF/CM, but I'm leaning towards the Xeon unless I get a killer deal on an 4690K. The main probelm with the K-series is that cooling does add cost to the card value.

Hence why I said that it's not far off. True, but so can the 4790. And for a tiny bit more, the 4790K can be overclocked properly. 

The performance difference is negligible for games, really. 

Using MCE you can get the 1231 v3 running @ 3.8 on all cores.

That would make it about 100Mhz less than a 4770 @ Turbo (3.9) (which honestly isn't bad considering the price compared for those extra threads)

"If you ain't first, you're last"