Canonical CEO Says to Expect First Ubuntu Phone Early Next Year

ExDreamer

According to CEO Jane Silber, the company still has plans to bring an Ubuntu phone to market in 2014, telling CNET there’s still a bright future for the convergence of Android and Linux. However, Silber says the first round of Ubuntu phones won’t get a “full converged plug-into-your-monitor device.”

Canonical’s IndieGoGo experiment fell $19 million short of its lofty $32 million goal—every person who contributed will get a refund—but that isn’t deterring the company from bringing the experience of convergence to market. “I think convergence is the future,” Silber said. “It may take many forms.” If all goes according to plan, users will be able to seamlessly swap between using Android for mobile alongside a desktop-enabled Linux.

More Here : https://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/08/22/ubuntu-phone-coming-early-2014/

So they're still trying to push the Edge without their $30 million in funding? Props to Canonical I guess, but if they could do this now, why was there a need for the Kickstarter?

COMIC SANS

So the kickstarter campaign was more or less pointless ?

Maybe the want to gather extra money and publicity so it will got noticed by the public.

So they're still trying to push the Edge without their $30 in funding? Props to Canonical I guess, but if they could do this now, why was there a need for the Kickstarter? 

I think it was to get an idea of how many people wanted it and extra funding is never bad.

I think it was to get an idea of how many people wanted it and extra funding is never bad.

True I guess.

COMIC SANS

I'm really not liking all these people/companies going to kickstarter/IndieGoGo/etc. just to get some publicity and get paid for it, I mean the whole point of crowd funding is for startups who have a great idea but can't afford to get it into production, meanwhile companies like this and recently even Sylvester Stallone and John Herzfeld are going to kickstarter to help fund a film which they can obviously afford, I believe there was also a story about some millionaire mum using indiegogo to get some $10,000, I believe, to buy a PC for her daughter or something like that.

If "convergence takes many forms," doesn't that defeat the point of convergence? I was under the impression that their "future" was one portable device that could serve all of your needs.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

So they're still trying to push the Edge without their $30 million in funding? Props to Canonical I guess, but if they could do this now, why was there a need for the Kickstarter?

They said they were still going to make "an Ubuntu phone", not the Edge.

Oh...ok then. That makes a bit more sense.

COMIC SANS

Maybe the want to gather extra money and publicity so it will got noticed by the public.

Well they got more publicity with failing to achieve the goal anyway

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

They are not really making any phones, just there will be coming phones that have Ubuntu Touch next year from other vendors.