i5 6600k vs Xeon E3-1231 v3

Rienks

Which one is better? Uses: Gaming, Editing, Streaming. I feel the the 6600K is better because I can OC it and upgrade to other Skylake processors later on (i7 6700k) but what are you thoughts LTT?

Do you play football/soccer?

Cause you look like a left-back

for editing/streaming the xeon will be better due to its hyperthreading

The site has changed....

for editing/streaming the xeon will be better due to its hyperthreading

yes but on that front would the xeon not hold him back in terms of gaming? last i remember xeons didnt perform to well in game scenarios

Go with an 1231v3, it's last gen, but still it's an i7-4790 without iGPU :D. I own it in my programing machine ;3 and it Rocks socks off while having some bigger projects vs an i5-4690k in my friend gaming machine xD So go with it for streams and editing, in games it's like 3-7FPS behind 4690k. Also it's cheaper ;3

Well, remember for one that the skylake will be faster clock for clock. So at the same frequency, Skylake is faster. Hyper-threading is kind of weird. It actually doesn't "add" performance, it just makes highly repetitive work loads... like video rendering and computation more "efficient".

Also remember you'll have to shell out for DDR4 memory with skylake and the Xenon doesnt have an iGpu in it.

If you want better video editing, get a Xeon. If you want to overclock, are willing to spend more, and want a better upgrade path, get a 6600K.

yes but on that front would the xeon not hold him back in terms of gaming? last i remember xeons didnt perform to well in game scenarios

the xeon 1231v3 is basically an i7 4790 without the intel hd (igpu disabled) and with some server grade instructions more  and ECC memory support.

There will be no differences between the i7 and the xeon when it comes to gaming performance

The site has changed....

That's the higher core count Xeons. It's due to the significantly lower frequency, not the limitation of the chip itself. The architectures are close to having the same performance.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Most of those tests use high core xenons with low clock speeds like 2.3 Ghz. Those xenons are optimized for virtualization where you want as many separate threads as possible.

Those xenons are optimized for virtualization

Or anything with a high thread requirement and/or feature.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

the 6600k can edit and stream just fine

the xeon IS faster at those things, but its not faster than the 6700k, so if you plan to upgrade in the future get the 6600k

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Most of those tests use high core xenons with low clock speeds like 2.3 Ghz. Those xenons are optimized for virtualization where you want as many separate threads as possible.

the xeon 1231v3 is basically an i7 4790 without the intel hd (igpu disabled) and with some server grade instructions more  and ECC memory support.

There will be no differences between the i7 and the xeon when it comes to gaming performance

That's the higher core count Xeons. It's due to the significantly lower frequency, not the limitation of the chip itself. The architectures are close to having the same performance.

Fair enough gents, ive been outta the loop for a bit for various reasons lol. i dont even think im signature is accurate anymore its been so long :/ regardless i would probably opt for the xeon in that case, no need to get an I7 skylake later down the road then.