A lot of complaints from customers who bought the ASUS ROG PG279Q

RRGT19

Hi,

Just read it on newegg...

Here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236660&cm_re=ASUS_PG279Q-_-24-236-660-_-Product

All of them have the same issue:

• The monitor I received had a massive amount of yellow backlight bleed, which lights up a full quarter of the screen to some extent and makes dark environments unplayable. As a result of this I'm sending it in for replacement, hopefully this does not affect them all.
  • Horrible backlight bleed on pretty much the entire right side of the monitor.
  • The top 1/3 of the screen is maybe 30% darker than the rest. I thought I had a perfect monitor until I started browsing the internet and noticed a dark cloud hanging at the top of every page I visit.
  • Horrible back-light bleed and glow. Screen is actually quite reflective of lights in the room
  • would of kept it if it wasnt for yellow bleed in the bottom right corner
  • etc...

as you can see guys, all monitors are coming with the same problem..

i was thinking to buy one, but now, i'm not sure..

What do you think about this?.

By the time stock actually reaches my shores, it would have been fixed probably :P Local shop says Feb to March earliest...

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

not a surprise love asus and their monitors but they need to step up quality control in initial releases

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

It's asus so I'm not surprised, they seem to be kinda shady, and their customer service sucks, in short I don't trust them.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

as you can see guys, all monitors are coming with the same problem..

i was thinking to buy one, but now, i'm not sure..

I've gone through 4 asus monitor returns for my $400 asus monitor, all are bad, one thing after another 

Now im just annoyed and dont care anymore #neveragainasus

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

It's the same story with every high end monitor ever. PG278Q, PG279Q, XB270HU, FG2421... People with issues are much more likely to leave a complaint than people without issues, and it's just that effect amplified ten times over because these products are only purchased by people with an interest in tech an are more active in the community. QA isn't any worse on this monitor than on any other monitor.

LCDs in general are just a pretty broad lottery.

It is really annoying that a company like ASUS would just put out monitors with issues. One thing i saw on PCPER is that the newer GeForce drivers have an issue with higher refresh rate monitors that make the monitors draw more power at idle that is needed and Nvidia is addressing it but nothing about video quality. 

Gone are the days when a brand ensured a good product i guess. 

Hope i don't get this issue when i get my VG248QE 24"  on black Friday, saw nothing but great reviews with this 144hz monitor. I may panic and just get the BenQ XL2411Z instead.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

It is really annoying that a company like ASUS would just put out monitors with issues. One thing i saw on PCPER is that the newer GeForce drivers have an issue with higher refresh rate monitors that make the monitors draw more power at idle that is needed and Nvidia is addressing it but nothing about video quality. 

Gone are the days when a brand ensured a good product i guess. 

Hope i don't get this issue when i get my VG248QE 24"  on black Friday, saw nothing but great reviews with this 144hz monitor. I may panic and just get the BenQ XL2411Z instead.

Why wouldn't you get the BenQ one anyways? It has some features the Asus one doesn't. And for around the same price you might be able to snag a used gsync version or something.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Why wouldn't you get the BenQ one anyways? It has some features the Asus one doesn't. And for around the same price you might be able to snag a used gsync version or something.

I actually don't want Gsync native but i want to be able to upgrade if i choose to like how the ASUS one is able to. 

What extra features are you talking about?....the low blue and flicker free?...surely the ASUS one has that too. Also, i am buying from amazon and the ASUS one has like 1,285 purchases with 4.7-5 stars while the Benq has 167 purchases with 4.6 -5 stars.....not saying that the Benq is bad because of it but just that the ASUS one has more reviews.

i am even looking at the Acer GN246HL just because of the price right now, which is like $179, on black Friday it should be lower i hope and even though it does not have a height adjust and pivot i have VESA arms so that is not an issue with me.

I actually don't want Gsync native but i want to be able to upgrade if i choose to like how the ASUS one is able to. 

What extra features are you talking about?....the low blue and flicker free?...surely the ASUS one has that too. Also, i am buying from amazon and the ASUS one has like 1,285 purchases with 4.7-5 stars while the Benq has 167 purchases with 4.6 -5 stars.....not saying that the Benq is bad because of it but just that the ASUS one has more reviews.

i am even looking at the Acer GN246HL just because of the price right now, which is like $179, on black Friday it should be lower i hope and even though it does not have a height adjust and pivot i have VESA arms so that is not an issue with me.

Well you can't actually buy Gsync modules from retailers anymore. They are discontinued.

The BenQ one has motion blur reduction, black equalizer, a better scaler letting you scale the screen size based on the monitors hardware, not windows (useful for non pc related inputs), 3D vision 2, and not to mention the software you can download as well as all the different modes you can run the monitor in to optimize what ever type of game you are playing to be easier.

I mean that acer one is great and goes on sale often. If you want a cheap 144hz monitor with no extras features, be my guest.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Well you can't actually buy Gsync modules from retailers anymore. They are discontinued.

The BenQ one has motion blur reduction, black equalizer, a better scaler letting you scale the screen size based on the monitors hardware, not windows (useful for non pc related inputs), 3D vision 2, and not to mention the software you can download as well as all the different modes you can run the monitor in to optimize what ever type of game you are playing to be easier.

I mean that acer one is great and goes on sale often. If you want a cheap 144hz monitor with no extras features, be my guest.

hmmmm, i guess that is why i can't find any modules anywhere. Well, screw that then, which ever is cheapest but still functions great.

All i really wanted was a 144hz, 1ms monitor that won't look like how a toilet brush smells, anything more is great too....but then there is price...lol.

Not surprised one bit. Panels made by Auoptronics all have awful quality control.

- fingerprints on the screen

- dust under the screen

- massive backlight bleed issues

I'll never buy anything from auoptronics.

You know who makes the panel, AU Optronics (ACER) which is why it has bad QC. ASUS is not the one who makes the panel so they cannot QC it. They QC all the other problems with the monitor (not the panel, which comes under backlight bleed and IPS glow) if you look at the ACER Predator X34, that is bad QC, as it has many issues that are not related to the panel (made by LG, better QC) like scan line issues and many more issues.

So the reason these monitors have a massive amount of backlight bleed and IPS glow, is ACERs QC

If you notice there are no other problems with the ASUS PG279Q, apart from the panel which is ACERs fault, so ASUS did good QC on it.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

You know who makes the panel, AU Optronics (ACER) which is why it has bad QC. ASUS is not the one who makes the panel so they cannot QC it. They QC all the other problems with the monitor (not the panel, which comes under backlight bleed and IPS glow) if you look at the ACER Predator X34, that is bad QC, as it has many issues that are not related to the panel (made by LG, better QC) like scan line issues and many more issues.

So the reason these monitors have a massive amount of backlight bleed and IPS glow, is ACERs QC

If you notice there are no other problems with the ASUS PG279Q, apart from the panel which is ACERs fault, so ASUS did good QC on it.

LMAO! Metro, you are ridiculous. Now I know you're an ASUS rep. So because the panel was made by Acer, ASUS can't do their own quality control? So it's Acers fault that Asus didnt do any qc before shipping them out of THEIR warehouses? You're a joke. Please stop posting.

That is simply asinine. Regardless of where the parts are sourced from, it's the responsibility of whoever brands the product.

AU Optronics is part of BenQ, not Acer.

AU Optronics is part of BenQ, not Acer.

AUO was formed in September 2001 by the merger of Acer Display Technology, Inc. (the former of AUO, established in 1996) and Unipac Optoelectronics Corporation. In October 2006, AUO acquired Quanta Display Inc. AUO has thus been operating production lines of various generations, capable of offering TFT-LCD panels from small to large sizes. AUO was also the first pure TFT-LCD manufacturer to have been successfully listed at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). AUO extended its market to the green energy industry in 2008 to provide customers with high efficiency solar solutions.

http://www.auo.com/?sn=135〈=en-US

Glenwing is also right.

http://www.benq.us/support/1404810412_14_1216.html

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

AUO was formed in September 2001 by the merger of Acer Display Technology, Inc. (the former of AUO, established in 1996) and Unipac Optoelectronics Corporation. In October 2006, AUO acquired Quanta Display Inc. AUO has thus been operating production lines of various generations, capable of offering TFT-LCD panels from small to large sizes. AUO was also the first pure TFT-LCD manufacturer to have been successfully listed at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). AUO extended its market to the green energy industry in 2008 to provide customers with high efficiency solar solutions.

http://www.auo.com/?sn=135&lang=en-US

Yes, BenQ was originally spun off from Acer as well in 2001. Since you're talking about QC of products today, not in 2001, I'm talking about the corporate structure today. AU Optronics is part of the BenQ group, not part of Acer.

EDIT: Saw your edit.

So who is on the hook for these bad panels?  Benq? AUO? Acer?, Asus? and what can be done about it.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

So who is on the hook for these bad panels?  Benq? AUO? Acer?, Asus? and what can be done about it.

Ultimately Asus, they've stuck their name on it, they should be QC'ing the panels properly.

It seems to be a reoccurring theme with newly released, feature packed monitors these days. Waiting a few months for them to figure out how to manufacture them properly is probably a good idea.

It is AU Optronics (ACER) they make the panel, therefore the panel QC is their problem. ASUS or another company cannot QC bad panels to make them perfect, if you actually look the ASUS PG279Q QC is a lot better than the ACER 1440p version.

What can be done about it, need to get AU Optronics to start having good QC, if not, any company will get the same panel defects (might get fewer issues but IPS glow and backlight bleed will still be there) they need to put a polarizer on it to reduce IPS glow, then better QC to reduce backlight bleed.

It is not ASUS fault, not LGs fault, not anyone's fault, apart from AU Optronics.

This was not aimed at you:

So stop trying to blame every company who makes this monitor when the panels come from the same company (AU Optronics)

Ultimately Asus, they've stuck their name on it, they should be QC'ing the panels properly.

It seems to be a reoccurring theme with newly released, feature packed monitors these days. Waiting a few months for them to figure out how to manufacture them properly is probably a good idea.

They did QC, however how can you QC panels from AU Optronics which had no QC. ASUS or another company cannot remake the panel.

LMAO! Metro, you are ridiculous. Now I know you're an ASUS rep. So because the panel was made by Acer, ASUS can't do their own quality control? So it's Acers fault that Asus didnt do any qc before shipping them out of THEIR warehouses? You're a joke. Please stop posting.

How can ASUS remake the monitor, it is made by AU Optronics. They cannot put a polarizer in it, they cannot reduce the IPS glow and they cannot reduce backlight bleed, as it is made by AU Optronics (NOT ASUS OR ANOTHER COMPANY)

It is ACERs fault (well AU Optronics) as they did no QC on the panels. I would look at who makes the panels before making a statement.

There is so much misinformation going around this forum, some people really need to look online about these panels.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

On 11/21/2015 at 6:03 PM, Metro said:

It is AU Optronics (ACER) they make the panel, therefore the panel QC is their problem. ASUS or another company cannot QC bad panels to make them perfect, if you actually look the ASUS PG279Q QC is a lot better than the ACER 1440p version.

What can be done about it, need to get AU Optronics to start having good QC, if not, any company will get the same panel defects (might get fewer issues but IPS glow and backlight bleed will still be there) they need to put a polarizer on it to reduce IPS glow, then better QC to reduce backlight bleed.

It is not ASUS fault, not LGs fault, not anyone's fault, apart from AU Optronics.

This was not aimed at you:

So stop trying to blame every company who makes this monitor when the panels come from the same company (AU Optronics)

They did QC, however how can you QC panels from AU Optronics which had no QC. ASUS or another company cannot remake the panel.

How can ASUS remake the monitor, it is made by AU Optronics. They cannot put a polarizer in it, they cannot reduce the IPS glow and they cannot reduce backlight bleed, as it is made by AU Optronics (NOT ASUS OR ANOTHER COMPANY)

It is ACERs fault (well AU Optronics) as they did no QC on the panels. I would look at who makes the panels before making a statement.

There is so much misinformation going around this forum, some people really need to look online about these panels.

So you are saying for example, ASUS also has absolutely no control over their laptops shipping with, say, dead hard drives? They can test their new product and find out the drive is dead, but since they don't manufacture the drives themselves, uh-oh they're somehow forced to ship the laptop out with a dead drive anyway. They can't, you know, say "hey this drive isn't working properly, let's swap it out with a working one".

The idea that ASUS can't QC panel problems in their products is ludicrous. If they QC a monitor and find a problem with the panel, they should swap it with a properly functioning one, like they would with any other problematic part in any other product. Ultimately, making sure all the parts in the final product work and work together is the responsibility of the product vendor.

Also, once again AU Optronics is not part of Acer. Yes, AUO was created from Acer almost 15 years ago, but like I said so was BenQ. Are you going to say anything BenQ does is Acer's fault too? No, because the formation of the company is ancient history. Acer sold its last shares in BenQ a decade ago, BenQ is not part of Acer, and neither is AU Optronics on the same token.

To reiterate; regardless of where parts are sourced from, it's the sole responsibility of the company that brands a product to do the quality control.

Metro, the fact that you can't seem to grasp that, boggles the mind.

Like, seriously. If someone has issues with the LCD in their iPhone, Apple doesn't tell you to contact the manufacturer… It's their product, so they are responsible.

Welcome to Metro logic, where everything is ACERs fault.

Getting tired of his posts as well, if you go through his post history, he'll be badmouthing Acer in almost every single post trying to protect Asus in every way possible.

Asus is at fault with this monitor imo, they're the ones that decideded to go with the panel and put their ROG logo on it, which is supposed to be their premium line of products.

This monitor was supposed to be a Christmas gift to myself in combination with a 980ti but after all these issues, let's say I am in no mood to play lottery.

I find it unacceptable to play the lottery when this much money is at stake, I'll happily put the money on the table for a premium product and this isn't one.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice