AMD Could be Profitable in 2 Years

erainf

http://www.barrons.com/articles/amd-could-be-profitable-in-24-months-1447419030

We held investor meetings with Dr. Lisa Su, AMD’s (ticker: AMD ) president and chief executive. After two years of re-focusing development efforts around PC computing, discrete graphics, server, and semi-custom, the company just delivered solid quarter-on-quarter growth in the third quarter, driven by growth in all of its major segments.

So, it seems like AMD isn't sucking as much as it did before :)

The team believes that it’s hit a trough in market share losses in computing and graphics. Additionally, with what appears to be a solid roadmap of new products tiered up for 2016-2017

So it looks like it isn't all "doom and gloom" for AMD.

Overall, nothing much has changed, it's basically "Zen or bust" but seeing news like this gives me new hope for AMD.

post-159576-0-40499400-1447983287.png

Core i3-4150 | MSI B85I |EVGA GTX 750ti |Cooler Master Elite 110

Dark theme Fail, Please fix so Dark theme users can read.

Thanks  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

"Zen or bust" 

Yeah that part is really all that matters, as zen will either save them or destroy them.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

they probably decided to spend their money on actually improving products instead of wasting it on ads

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

they probably decided to spend their money on actually improving products instead of wasting it on ads

I've actually never seen an amd ad in my life, to the point that I thought they never had any significant ad campaigns

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I've actually never seen an amd ad in my life, to the point that I thought they never had any significant ad campaigns

Have you seen AMD's youtube channel? It's got multiple attack ads clearly directed at nvidia, lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

hahaha so true...never seen a single one..

Have you seen AMD's youtube channel? It's got multiple attack ads clearly directed at nvidia, lol

I meant mainstream, not youtube channels that they made, and I'm aware amd fuels the flame war fires which is why I dislike them as a company.

I meant mainstream, not youtube channels that they made, and I'm aware amd fuels the flame war fires which is why I dislike them as a company.

Yeah, I find their attack ads very "immature" just like how politicians use it.

I don't really see any mainstream ads for either nvidia or amd...maybe cause i dont watch tv or something, idk

Spoiler

ugh AMD... AMD is only fractionally less disgusting than Consoles 

What's wrong with AMD?

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

If they bring back real multi threaded performance, I'll come back. Athlon x2 nostalgiarace.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

<snip>

Please follow you threads so you can receive notifications.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

ugh AMD... AMD is only fractionally less disgusting than Consoles 

These comments are really dumb and shouldn't be apart of the conversation in general.

OT: I could see them being profitable in 2 year definitely if they get their server market together. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm sorry but there is no way that zen will be great enough to make people sell their perfectly good CPU for a new zen CPU. A new processor doesn't give you the same bang for your buck that a gpu does. They would only capture some people upgrading from 7-8 year old CPUs. My 2500k still has a bunch of life before I will upgrade.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

I'm sorry but there is no way that zen will be great enough to make people sell their perfectly good CPU for a new zen CPU. A new processor doesn't give you the same bang for your buck that a gpu does. They would only capture some people upgrading from 7-8 year old CPUs. My 2500k still has a bunch of life before I will upgrade.

So you're saying that everyone shares your mindset on this topic and no one could need a better CPU than a i5 2500k, cool nice to know, by that logic everyone should by an i3 and a GTX 980 because no way you would ever need more CPU power.

So you're saying that everyone shares your mindset on this topic and no one could need a better CPU than a i5 2500k, cool nice to know, by that logic everyone should by an i3 and a GTX 980 because no way you would ever need more CPU power.

Pfff, i3 - everyone should use Pentium 4s!

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Oh shit

rekt

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

AMD should capitalize on war and make smart bombs.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

AMD should capitalize on war and make smart bombs.

Now somebody will make a joke that they can pack enough heat to make a nuclear bomb. That is one of the most profitable sectors however, AMD should just do that.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED