Overclock reducing FPS?!

Daanish375
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Check your temperatures then. Make sure it's not overheating. Overclocking laptops is not a recommendation.

Hey guys, so today I overclocked my GPU just a small bit from 660Mhz to 760MHz and 900MHz Memory to 955MHz memory.

It's a small overclock, but every bit mattered.

Anyhow, in Mirror's Edge I usually played at all max with 8x MSAA and got a smooth 60.

After the overclock I got 40 and frequent drops to even 15!

My specs are:

6GB RAM

Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5GHZ with TurboBoost to 3.1GHz

Nvidia GeForce GT630M

The overclock likely isn't stable. And how is your 3570K at 2.5GHz and boosting up to 3.4GHz?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The overclock likely isn't stable. And how is your 3570K at 2.5GHz and boosting up to 3.4GHz?

My brain farted. I meant a 3210M with TurboBoost to 3.1GHz

hold on an M series in a desktop are you sure this is not a laptop and you have got the name of the cpu wrong aswell otherwise I am confused also did you run something like furmark to see if its stable each step of the overclock or just adjust the core clock straight away.

that small overclock that you've made, is an overclock of over 15%, and take in to consideration that the GPU itself may not be suited for overclocking at all. and like M-rusu says it could be bottlenecking your system even more :-)

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710

hold on an M series in a desktop are you sure this is not a laptop and you have got the name of the cpu wrong aswell otherwise I am confused also did you run something like furmark to see if its stable each step of the overclock or just adjust the core clock straight away.

Yeah like I said I brain farted. It is a laptop.

Check your temperatures then. Make sure it's not overheating. Overclocking laptops is not a recommendation.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Check your temperatures then. Maybe sure it's not overheating. Overclocking laptops is not a recommendation.

Ah forget it I just undid it its all good now.

Laptops = Heat

OC Laptop = Heat = Automatic Declocking or Death

At your own risk :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz