144hz Monitor without G-sync vs 144hz Monitor with G-sync

nsprinkle11
Go to solution Solved by BrightCandle,

My previous monitor was a Benq XL2411T which is a 1080p@144phz lightboost 2 monitor and currently I use a PG279Q which is 1440p@165hz gsync monitor.

Last year I also owned a PG278Q (1440p@144p) and had a lot of problems with repeated monitors and I ended up using my Benq a lot. So I have been using high refresh rate monitors for about 3 years now and gsync for a little over a year.

My experience tells me that gsync is kind of great, the image just feels solid and fluid and the frame rate matters a whole lot less. But playing BF4 at 100fps or so I don't notice a massive difference. There is definitely still a difference but where I really notice it is in the 30-60 range of fps where on a gsync monitor it remains smooth, its not good because its still a low frame rate but its consistent in a way you aren't used to without gsync being there. So if I was to sum up my thoughts I would tell you gsync just makes everything smoother, but >100hz will do that too but you'll be vsync off and that will impact on the image quality, you wont have that solid and lack of stutter feeling you get with gsync.

Personally I can live without gsync sort of, but I wouldn't want to. There is no way I am ever gaming at 60hz again but gsync I could live without, but I think its worth its asking price.

Hey everyone!

I have a few quick questions about high refresh rate monitors. I am generally looking for responses from people who have actually used both types of monitors so I can have a better idea of the difference in real life. I say this because I know plenty about what G-sync does on paper and what 144hz means on paper but I have never seen either of these in person so I don't exactly know the difference it makes.

My questions are how much of a difference does G-sync make at 144hz?

What if you can run the game at much higher than 144 fps? Does G-sync help then?

What about if it's somewhere in between 60 and 144 fps, say 100?

I ask all of this also because I am generally okay just turning on v-sync when I am playing single player or non competitive games like Skyrim or even Evolve (I don't seem to notice mouse lag in this game yet). But if I am playing something like CS:GO and I try to use v-sync, I get horrible mouse lag. Playing without v-sync however gives me horrible tearing. I am guessing this is because my fps in that game is over 250. 

I also ask this because of the difference in monitor prices as I am sure you all know. I can get a monitor without G-sync or even with free sync (I currently have a gtx 980 HoF so I am aware that I can't use free sync. It still is nice to have the technology just in case) for easily 200 dollars less. I have been checking out the Asus pg278q since the pg279q just came out and it seems to be making the pg278q go down in price some, but it still runs over 650 dollars. By contrast, I can get anything like the Acer xg270hu, the Asus mg279q, or the BenQ xl2730z for just over 400 dollars. These monitors do not have G-sync but rather free sync. There was even a Korean monitor I found from Crossover that is 1440p IPS 100+ hz (with overclocking) for just over 300 dollars. It of course does not have g-sync or free sync (so if anyone has any experience with Crossover monitors let me know too!). 

If it hasn't been clear yet, I am looking for a new monitor that is 1440p and somewhere over 100hz. It being ips or tn isn't a big deal to me. I like both types of panels for different reasons. I have been using a 1080p 60hz monitor for awhile now and it has just become a little underwhelming especially with my gtx 980 pushing the games I play well past 60 fps. Plus the monitor I have is a brand called Innoview and it isn't exactly the best monitor...

I've even been temped by some 1080p 144hz monitors without g-sync because they are so cheap (~200 dollars, like the Asus vg248qe) but I would prefer 1440p. I guess I'll throw in the question too about if you have any opinions of just 1080p 144hz.

So there you have it. I am really curious as to your opinions on this topic. Thanks.

g-sync is most useful when below the framerate of 60 (more around 30'ish FPS).

Edit: when it comes to overclocking 'Koren monitors' I recommend the DP2710LED (1440p, IPS). Currently have mine at 100hz (EVGA FTW+ 970).

█ 

I heard G-Sync is the thing you want if you can't get 144+ fps, I have BenQ XL2720z and It's a perfect monitor. It doesn't have G-Sync, I don't need it. I am getting second GPU now to be able to cap my FPS in most of the games.

I think G-Sync makes your Monitor Hz depend on the fps you get, cause now If I get 100 fps in 144hz mode, It start feeling awkward and not as good as when 144fpS+ with G-sync you won't notice the smoothness issue. But I don't like it and won't spend extra money for it.

GSync is nice but pricey. If you have the money go for it. It does help. I'd say it depends if you want to pay for GSync. 144hz is amazing so definatly get that.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

gsync is useless if your fps is above the monitors refresh rate

gsync just makes everything smoother when between 30 and 144hz which is the variable refresh rate window

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@H4X3R Hmm that's interesting. I didn't know it would actually cause more input lag. It would be nice to see some v-sync ON lag results on that graph too so I could see how it compares to g-sync ON.

@MartyG So you never encounter any tearing in games? Do you play with v-sync on or off? Because that's awesome and could save me a lot of money haha.

@CalebTheEternal Yeah definitely pricey. How much of a difference can you tell when using 144hz vs 60?

@Enderman So if I were playing a game that I could drive past 144 fps, could I just cap the fps at 144 and get the full benefits of G-sync without any added input lag?

Wait, never mind. That graph from HAX3R shows more input lag even at capped 143 fps.

@Enderman So if I were playing a game that I could drive past 144 fps, could I just cap the fps at 144 and get the full benefits of G-sync without any added input lag?

gsync doesnt do anything then if you just cap fps at 144

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Alright guys thanks for all the replies. Any recommended 1440p monitors other than the ones I listed?

@Retro What brand is that monitor? X-star?

Correct! You can find the ebay seller here

█ 

Awesome, thanks a lot. Did you buy the pixel perfect version or the regular? 

Awesome, thanks a lot. Did you buy the pixel perfect version or the regular? 

Regular and 'Glossy" (I'm a odd one, I know). full listing is "X-STAR DP2710 LED 27" 2560x1440 Samsung PLS "Glossy""

Was purchased for about $180 USD on sale about a year ago.

If you have the cash, go for a pixel perfect.

I was lucky, I was shipped one with NO backlight bleed and NO dead pixels!

█ 

@H4X3R Hmm that's interesting. I didn't know it would actually cause more input lag. It would be nice to see some v-sync ON lag results on that graph too so I could see how it compares to g-sync ON.

@MartyG So you never encounter any tearing in games? Do you play with v-sync on or off? Because that's awesome and could save me a lot of money haha.

@CalebTheEternal Yeah definitely pricey. How much of a difference can you tell when using 144hz vs 60?

Oh the 144hz from 60hz was a huge difference. It's night and day. Go for 144hz all the way.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

gsync causes increased input lag above ~ 120fps.

http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/lag-csgo.png

Would disabling g-sync on the OSD of my Acer XB270HU or in the Nvidia game profile for CSGO reduce the lag in the same way?

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

My previous monitor was a Benq XL2411T which is a 1080p@144phz lightboost 2 monitor and currently I use a PG279Q which is 1440p@165hz gsync monitor.

Last year I also owned a PG278Q (1440p@144p) and had a lot of problems with repeated monitors and I ended up using my Benq a lot. So I have been using high refresh rate monitors for about 3 years now and gsync for a little over a year.

My experience tells me that gsync is kind of great, the image just feels solid and fluid and the frame rate matters a whole lot less. But playing BF4 at 100fps or so I don't notice a massive difference. There is definitely still a difference but where I really notice it is in the 30-60 range of fps where on a gsync monitor it remains smooth, its not good because its still a low frame rate but its consistent in a way you aren't used to without gsync being there. So if I was to sum up my thoughts I would tell you gsync just makes everything smoother, but >100hz will do that too but you'll be vsync off and that will impact on the image quality, you wont have that solid and lack of stutter feeling you get with gsync.

Personally I can live without gsync sort of, but I wouldn't want to. There is no way I am ever gaming at 60hz again but gsync I could live without, but I think its worth its asking price.

How is the 279Q?  I've been hearing it's had some problems with BLB and some IPS glow, and some dead pixels and luminance uniformity (such as the top being darker than the bottom.  It's been putting me off of it.

Would disabling g-sync on the OSD of my Acer XB270HU or in the Nvidia game profile for CSGO reduce the lag in the same way?

At CSGO you shouldn't be using g-sync because you shouldn't be below the refresh rate on that game to experience tearing.

How is the 279Q?  I've been hearing it's had some problems with BLB and some IPS glow, and some dead pixels and luminance uniformity (such as the top being darker than the bottom.  It's been putting me off of it.

At CSGO you shouldn't be using g-sync because you shouldn't be below the refresh rate on that game to experience tearing.

Mine has uniformity issues in the lower right corner, I think they all do its something to do with the way they are cooled. There is the usual IPS glow but not much in the way of bleed so overall its a pretty good example of these monitors. I am happy with it, clearly a better experience than the PG278Q that I had before.

Most likely, yes. I bought a 144hz no gysnc for csgo.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I am not very good at CS:GO, I used to be world class playing championships in the CS 1.6 days (ex pro gamer) but these days I kind of suck at it as my reaction times have gone with age! But I personally found that I played with gsync on with CS:GO. I know I am meant to want to play with gsync off or even with lightboost but it felt super smooth and responsive with gsync, I didn't feel the need to try and get better. My much younger belgian friend did use lightboost on his gsync monitor and he preferred it to gsync.