[Build Log] Project Black Phoenix Scratch Desk Build by a 16 year old.

ThatOneRussian

Hey guys

This is my build log for my desk. I am only now deciding to make this log because it was moving too slowly at first but I have decided to post it right now. If you can read all of this it would be nice.

Where it all began...

Starting this year my friends converted me from the mac race and begin designing a pc. I wanted to save some money around half way through the year and decided that I needed a new desk. And I saw the Lian Li desk pc and I wanted to copy that.

[spoiler=First Concepts]post-257913-0-25391900-1447704015_thumb.

That was the first desk I wanted to create and I started the build before asking anybody what to do. Being the idiotic person that I am and bought a lot of wasted materials.

I talked with a few experts including my older sister, she works as an architect and designer, and another guy who makes his own furniture. He gave me the idea to not have any sides at all just to have it held up by posts. 

[spoiler=New Concept]post-257913-0-37347200-1447704194.pngpost-257913-0-57201000-1447704205.pngpost-257913-0-50560800-1447704215.pngpost-257913-0-23951300-1447704231.png

I do not recommend to even start this build unless you have the proper tools. My father is a builder and has thousands of dollars worth of hardware that just a "normal" person wouldn't have. Here are some of the tools that I am using to build my desk. 

[spoiler=TOOLS]post-257913-0-80033300-1447704604_thumb.post-257913-0-78352100-1447704630_thumb.post-257913-0-68495300-1447705084_thumb.

A few TOOLS not pictured are an Impactor, Drill and a Jigsaw. I remember taking pictures of them but can not find them...

Materials

MDF

Essentially shredded wood glue together. Quite strong using as part of table top (Pictured below)

Wooden Post 100mm by 100mm

Wooden Planks of Pine Radiata. 140mm by 19mm by X

Wooden Dowels

Gorilla Glue

Thats about it for now I will update when I buy more.

Steps

1) Cutting pieces into sizes, I can give sizes of wood if need be or the sketch up model.

2) Putting them together as by the model using Gorilla Glue and wooden Dowels to secure them.

3) The table top will be two separate pieces and glued together and cut.

Thats about it for now I will be painting what I have now and gluing together the two table tops in order for it to be strong and flat on one side. In order for the carbon fibre wrap to go there.

[spoiler=Progress]This is what I have done for now I will be painting the desk soon with primerpost-257913-0-12298300-1447705311_thumb.post-257913-0-96941400-1447705325_thumb.This is one of my tabletops that Im sanding down because I had to connect two pieces together to have a large size. After gluing that piece with MDF I will cut out the shape.post-257913-0-67967000-1447705412_thumb.

Thank you for checking this out and reading this far. Feel free to ask questions in the comments.

Edit : People who have either asked or I want to see this project

@Derpologist

@iamdarkyoshi

@Paytend01

@don_svetlio

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

-snip-

This is gonna be cool, eager to see how it turns out :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

That "floating glass" idea looks sweet. You may want to add a few radiators, though, and maybe have them going through the bottom of the desk? I feel like the heat may run into your arms while using the computer, which may be an annoyance.

What you have to consider, though, is the PSU and the cords/cables. If the motherboard were to remain in that orientation, the GPU I/O and any cables will have to extend around. Cable management will be tough and ugly, too.

OMG...your father has a Mitre Saw ?! I wish I had one of those, guess I'll just have to be content with my mitre saw :P

j/k Just messing with ya :D

Have fun with your desk.

followed :)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

That "floating glass" idea looks sweet. You may want to add a few radiators, though, and maybe have them going through the bottom of the desk? I feel like the heat may run into your arms while using the computer, which may be an annoyance.

What you have to consider, though, is the PSU and the cords/cables. If the motherboard were to remain in that orientation, the GPU I/O and any cables will have to extend around. Cable management will be tough and ugly, too.

Im going for cablemod cables and the rads are the things next to the fans my mac cant render them though. And for the heat suggestions ill be pulling air out of them so itll be a light cold breeze which is nice I feel.

OMG...your father has a Mitre Saw ?! I wish I had one of those, guess I'll just have to be content with my mitre saw :P

j/k Just messing with ya :D

Have fun with your desk.

is a mitre saw a drop saw yeah its so expensive but he got it basically new second hand. the person he works for bought a second one like a week later after he bought the original one because work was going to slow and my father bought it off of him. 

is a mitre saw a drop saw yeah its so expensive but he got it basically new second hand. the person he works for bought a second one like a week later after he bought the original one because work was going to slow and my father bought it off of him. 

My wife bought it for 20 bucks because she worked at the hardware store and the manager didn't feel like charging more for the display model.

My wife bought it for 20 bucks because she worked at the hardware store and the manager didn't feel like charging more for the display model.

ok were talking about different things lol. the DeWalt machine right?

Im going for cablemod cables and the rads are the things next to the fans my mac cant render them though. And for the heat suggestions ill be pulling air out of them so itll be a light cold breeze which is nice I feel.

Oh yeah, I know those were radiators. Sorry.

The CableMod cables might be a bit long, though, don't you think?

Oh yeah, I know those were radiators. Sorry.

The CableMod cables might be a bit long, though, don't you think?

Ill sort it out when I get there lol. Planning is out the wind for now haha. Just the desk and the monitor stand soon Ill be buying the rads and fans but not the pc parts waiting for XPoint memory.

Ayyyy good to see it's happening! Imma follow!

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Mini Update

I have ordered two radiators 360 EK rads and 6 EK VARDAR fans and two pumps will soon be posting pics. Im buying them as these parts will stay universal regardless of new tech such as XPoint.

Update on the table I have sketched the table top into the wooden top and will be cutting it as fast as I get the chance painting of the desk will occur in the weekend.

This is really cool looking. I can only imagine how sweet it will look with the three monitors.

Are you actually going to have a transparent top, or is that just so you can see through it in the model?

This is really cool looking. I can only imagine how sweet it will look with the three monitors.

Are you actually going to have a transparent top, or is that just so you can see through it in the model?

ill order the acrylic as soon as ive finished everything else so I dont break it so yes

Desks are overlooked so many times, I'm glad someone is taking a proper interest in their own :)

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

ill order the acrylic as soon as ive finished everything else so I dont break it so yes

Ah man, I cannot wait to see this. Great work so far, good luck!

UPDATE #1

[spoiler=STICK FOR POLES ]post-257913-0-05387300-1448070871_thumb.

Todays work was cleaning up and putting the final touches on the desk before I begin to put a few clear golden coats of paint so that it shines and I can still see the wood patterns beneath.

So I got some filler from the hardware store and covered up any loose gaps and where I screwed together the desk, I had to do it twice. Sand it after the first time apply the filler again and sand it again here are the pics. Also to cover up cracks. Ive also drawn the outline of the tabletop and Ill cut it tomorrow but I dont have time today I have family coming over for my birthday party thing.

post-257913-0-02010100-1448071071_thumb.

post-257913-0-03247300-1448071138_thumb.

post-257913-0-67928800-1448071198_thumb.

Excuse the shitness of photos

Update # 3 Sort of...

My water cooling stuff is beginning to arrive I will probably have to order three different times because Im poor and I want to have my stuff as quickly as possible and I dont want to wait to save up money. Yay for me. Sort of.

I guess.

Anyway things that are here

2 (X) 360 SE EKWB Radiators

6 (X) EK Vardar 1850 RPM Fans F3

Now sort of a poll for those who give a fuck tell me what I should order next.

Option One 

Two DDC Pumps, Reservoirs

Option Two

Reservoirs and Water cooling fittings and tubing.

Images below

post-257913-0-09839700-1448502309_thumb.post-257913-0-65955000-1448502313_thumb.post-257913-0-00203700-1448502318_thumb.post-257913-0-96173400-1448502517_thumb.

I'm digging the floating glass desk idea, I think this is going to turn out awesome!

Also, I wish I had had your ambition and skill when I was 16.

Keeping an eye on this one!

Cheers,

David

I'm digging the floating glass desk idea, I think this is going to turn out awesome!

Also, I wish I had had your ambition and skill when I was 16.

Keeping an eye on this one!

Cheers,

David

thanks a lot man pumps and reservoirs or reservoirs and tubes and fittings. What do you think I should order next man