AMD: PS4 performance advantage over Xbox One ‘greater than many expect’ due to hUMA

snowComet
Senior Product Marketing Manager at AMD, Marc Diana said in an interview with Gamescom, that PS4's performance is better than Xbox One becoz of the presence of heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access (hUMA).

With hUMA, the CPU and GPU – which are already on the same die – have direct access to the same, shared memory pool. Both CPU and GPU can work with the same data without requiring programs to copy data back and forth between the two for maintaining coherency.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-ps4-performance-advantage-over-xb1-greater-than-many-expect-due-to-exclusive-huma-technology/52543.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=amd-ps4-performance-advantage-over-xb1-greater-than-many-expect-due-to-exclusive-huma-technology

What speed memory does PS4 have? 

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

The XboxOne does it over DX11.2 with Tiled Resources.
And we PC gamers get it also over DX11.2 and Next Year with Maxwell with Unfied Memory.

RTX2070OC 

And we PC gamers get it also over DX11.2 and Next Year with Maxwell with Unfied Memory.

Uh, wrong thread? :P

Uh, wrong thread? :P

No he is saying that hUMA would make the Ps4 stronger then the XboxOne whats not the case, because it can do the same over DX11.2

Where is that Off Topic?

RTX2070OC 

I thought the xbone had this as well.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

From what I heard the Xbox one has hUMA as well, just since its a weaker processor it would have a smaller effect, also I thought hUMA was a unified cache between the CPU and GPU.

Back from the dead....

I hope you like windows 8 because DX11.2 is windows 8 and xbox one only. anti-trust much

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

I hope you like windows 8 because DX11.2 is windows 8 and xbox one only. anti-trust much

That wont help windows 8. or people to convert to it. they tried that before. looking forwards to windows 9. basically the windows 8 done with common sense.

From what I heard the Xbox one has hUMA as well, just since its a weaker processor it would have a smaller effect, also I thought hUMA was a unified cache between the CPU and GPU.

huma has unified memory between cpu and gpu,not just cache

amd-huma-slide-5-chart,9-D-382657-13.jpg

amd-slide-9-introducing-huma,9-E-382658-

I am a PC gamer so this means nothing to me but when people say that hardware doesn't matter I get pretty angry because if it didn't matter then we wouldn't need a new generation of console now would we. Any improvement in hardware will always increase performance in one way or another. Just because the graphics will look similar on both XBone and PS4 it would mean that the PS4 would have a higher or more stable framerate. Now that both consoles use the same architecture there will be no optimization differences really where the PS4 is clearly the more powerful out of the 2 however PC will still be leagues ahead of the two consoles. With every year we PC gamers get new hardware compared to the consoles which will be using the same old hardware for about 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see the PC gaming industry explode in 5 years time because people will want and need new mechanics and graphics that the console simply can't handle. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

huma has unified memory between cpu and gpu,not just cache

amd-huma-slide-5-chart,9-D-382657-13.jpg

amd-slide-9-introducing-huma,9-E-382658-

Thanks for clearing that up!

Back from the dead....

Maxwell's unified memory is for the tegra line not for desktops.

The only equivalent to the unified memory of the PS4 is AMD's Kaveri APU which will be coming early next year.

Maxwell's unified memory is for the tegra line not for desktops.

The only equivalent to the unified memory of the PS4 is AMD's Kaveri APU which will be coming early next year.

No its for Desktops they showed it on there Desktop GPU roadmap and Volta will get Stocked Dram.

Tegra is far from Virtual Memory it will come with parker wich comes after Logan.

RTX2070OC 

No its for Desktops they showed it on there Desktop GPU roadmap and Volta will get Stocked Dram.

Tegra is far from Virtual Memory it will come with parker wich comes after Logan.

Maxwell’s marque feature as it turns out is unified virtual memory. CUDA already has a unified virtual address space available, so this would seemingly go beyond that. In practice such a technology is important for devices integrating a GPU and a CPU onto the same package, which is what the AMD-led Heterogeneous System Architecture seeks to exploit. For NVIDIA their Parker SoC will be based on Maxwell for the GPU and Denver for the CPU, so this looks to be a feature specifically setup for Parker and Parker-like products, where NVIDIA can offer their own CPU integrated with a Maxwell GPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6846/nvidia-updates-gpu-roadmap-announces-volta-family-for-beyond-2014

After sending some emails to our representatives at AMD I was told that "Kabini doesn't support hUMA" which is the APU that both the PS4 and Xbox One processors are based on.  AMD further clarified with us:

Our spokesperson made inaccurate statements about our semi-custom APU architectures and does not speak for Microsoft, Sony or the AMD semi-custom business unit responsible for co-developing the next generation console APUs.

So while the PS4 will still be a faster system thanks to its higher SIMD processor (GPU core) count, there is no support for a true heterogeneous unified memory architecture in either upcoming console platform.

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Sony-PlayStation-4-PS4-will-NOT-utilize-AMD-hUMA-Kabini-based-SoC