How do you work out how many calculation per second a GPU can do?

LibeRatioNZzXx
Go to solution Solved by MG2R,

The thing I'm finding difficult to come to terms with is float point opeartion?

A FLOP is one single operation on a floating point number. Floating point numbers are a way of representing decimal numbers in binary.

Actually, there's quite a bit of sense to that. Although the number of bits is actually 8 times higher, because every pixel is set with 3 bytes (one for every sub-pixel).

So the actual data rate is 1920*1080*60*3*8=2.985.984.000 or almost 3Gb/s or about 3.7MB/s

In what world is 3 Gb/s = 3.7 MB/s ;) :p

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Why is it so important that you know how long the calculation takes to execute?

lol without it, the program would be pointless :) The idea is it predicts how long it would take a GPU to brute force a password, or using other methods such as dictionairys. It wouldn't work in real life obviously as it would easily be detected and passwords are stored in hash, I just want to make it for fun! :)

| Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | MSI P67A-G45 | i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz |  Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus | EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition 2GB | 8GB (2X4GB) Mushkin Blackline @ 1600MHz | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green | Corsair 600CX V2 | Windows 7 64-bit |

In what world is 3 Gb/s = 3.7 MB/s ;) :P

I think he put decimal point in the wrong place and meant 370 MB/s rounded to 2 s.f. :)

| Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | MSI P67A-G45 | i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz |  Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus | EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition 2GB | 8GB (2X4GB) Mushkin Blackline @ 1600MHz | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green | Corsair 600CX V2 | Windows 7 64-bit |

In what world is 3 Gb/s = 3.7 MB/s ;) :P

I think he put decimal point in the wrong place and meant 370 MB/s rounded to 2 s.f. :)

Yeah, fixed it ;)

lol without it, the program would be pointless :) The idea is it predicts how long it would take a GPU to brute force a password, or using other methods such as dictionairys. It wouldn't work in real life obviously as it would easily be detected and passwords are stored in hash, I just want to make it for fun! :)

Well, brute forcing != FLOP, so you can't use the FLOPS to do your calculation...

What you need to do is use my pseudocode template to calculate about 10000 hashes sequentially. With that information, you can get your hashes per second. With that information you can calculate how long it would take to break a password.

Yeah, fixed it ;)

Well, brute forcing != FLOP, so you can't use the FLOPS to do your calculation...

What you need to do is use my pseudocode template to calculate about 10000 hashes sequentially. With that information, you can get your hashes per second. With that information you can calculate how long it would take to break a password.

But wouldn't sequential hashes per second vary per program and encryption method? I was also planning to have it as a variable, so users can define the GPU.

But wouldn't sequential hashes per second vary per program and encryption method? I was also planning to have it as a variable, so users can define the GPU.

Sequantial hashes per second will, of course, vary per hash method. I'm not sure what you mean 'per program', as far as I know, hashing speed is dependant on

1. Length of password
  2. hashing method
  3. GPU power
  4. OS (scheduling algorirth) / other applications fighting for the GPU

Sequantial hashes per second will, of course, vary per hash method. I'm not sure what you mean 'per program', as far as I know, hashing speed is dependant on

1. Length of password
  2. hashing method
  3. GPU power
  4. OS (scheduling algorirth) / other applications fighting for the GPU

I meant pretty much point 2, that was the hashing method, as programs may be not as optimised as others and language may have large impacts