normal temps for GTX 980ti (STRIX)

i_build_nanosuits

Hey guys...

been messing around for a few days now improving airflow in my case and adjusting fan speed for better temps/noise ratio etc.

i'm wondering if any of you have a 980ti strix or similar and what kind of temps are you getting on air on these and what kind of fan speed is required to achieve those temps. (in short i'm wondering if my temps are fine/normal and if i should remove the cooler and re-apply the paste on my GPU.

I have 3 intake fans at moderate speed (50-60%) and 1 rear exaust fan+ 240mm aio at the top also running around 50-60% fan speed when under gaming load...and my GPU is running at around 78c with 50% fan speed...it's in the basement so it's a somewhat cool room...ambient temp is around 23c.

i would like better temps but i'm not willing to go above 50% fanspeed on the card since it get loud.

so, what kind of temps is ''normal'' on these?

What is the max for a 980ti?

what should i do? is it ok?

thanks, help appreciated!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Do you have any other gpu or pci device,how much did you oc it?

only one GPU...had a 780 from MSI twinfrozr previously which was barely reaching 70c that's why i'm a bit worried.

no other PCI device, PSU is pulling air from bottom of case so no interference there.

the card is overclocked to 1435mhz right now without voltage increase but power limit if maxed out at 110%

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Mostly 90c is Max, 70% is actually a sweet-spot for both Noise and Temp, where do you use the PC ? inside an AC Room or not ?

it's in the basement so it's a somewhat cool room...ambient temp is around 23c.

at 70% fanspeed the card is WAY too loud.

so 78c with 50% fanspeed sounds good then? (i mean, normal? i should not re-apply the thermal paste on the GPU?)

only one GPU...had a 780 from MSI twinfrozr previously which was barely reaching 70c that's why i'm a bit worried.

no other PCI device, PSU is pulling air from bottom of case so no interference there.

the card is overclocked to 1435mhz right now without voltage increase but power limit if maxed out at 110%

Power Limit doesnt affect Temp (a little),but with OC like that i would think thats a normal one

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

I'm on the verge of buying the same card, read they get hotter than other cards for some reason.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

is the case Negative or Positive Pressure ? and what Case ? thats not normal

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

is the case Negative or Positive Pressure ? and what Case ? thats not normal

positive pressure..you can see my setup in my gallery onyl the GPU as changed and i added a fan at the bottom behind the PSU so i now have 2x140mm and 1x120mm. for intake

Case is enermax ostrog GT

so 78c with 50% fanspeed sounds good then? (i mean, normal? i should not re-apply the thermal paste on the GPU?)

yeah but just keep it below than 80c, probably yes but it'll remove the Warranty

I'm on the verge of buying the same card, read they get hotter than other cards for some reason.

basicly OCing always make the GPU Hotter, and Strix got 3 Fans which is more than enough for Factory-OC

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

Try turining the oc down a bit,you only lose around 1fps and increse fan speed to 55/60.It should theoreticly help.

i would get something else, the card is loud and the fans are super cheap...get the MSI gaming 6G instead i think it's a much better one.

i would get something else, the card is loud and the fans are super cheap...get the MSI gaming 6G instead i think it's a much better one.

Yeah I was looking at that too, it's $50 cheaper and the cooling is better apparently.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

The 980ti is an extremely hot GPU. The G1 Gaming is the only stock solution I've seen that can keep it under wraps with high overclocks. Otherwise you need liquid cooling, either from an AIO or a custom solution. My ASUS R9 Fury Strix DC3 (same cooler as 980ti) tops out at 70°C max at slightly audible noise levels. It mostly stays at around 68-69°C during GTA V. I have three intakes and three exhausts, with relatively low ambient temperatures #Irishweather. I can't give you an accurate fan speed as there is something not quite working with the current iteration of GPU-Z registering the new AMD cards. All I know is it's subjectively as quiet as my previous G1 Gaming 970. While the 980ti is a much more powerful GPU, the Fury is remarkably cool considering it's AMD's flagship minus one. Not as cool as the GM204 980, but it's theoretically more powerful and more advanced. My card is not overclocked. It won't overclock, not even a little bit. It's just a piss-poor example. Once AMD releases voltage control, I might be able to squeeze a little more performance out of it, but temperatures will increase and I don't know if it will be worth it.

Back on topic, the 980ti Strix DC3 has been known to be slightly hotter than other coolers. However, I've seen a massive amount of variances in temperatures from 980ti users. Everything from 70°C to 82°C with the same GPU and cooler is not uncommon to see. The MSI 6G Gaming is an example of this. Many reviewers were stating 72°C under quiet conditions and 74°C with an overclock. Consumers sadly have not shared these experiences. Many were hitting 80°C or more with 80% fan speeds and a moderate overclock, which is too noisy for many. This was not expected, showing just how hot the GM200 chip can be if not binned right or used with an efficient cooler. Considering the demand for these GPU's, I imagine nVidia and AIB partners weren't quite as strict with their binning process. Some have noticed a temperature drop by reapplying the TIM, but some have noted no difference. This is another testament to the heat the GM200 core produces. It's truly a beast.

78°C at 50% fan speed is not terrible, but it's not great either. That's one of the reasons why I decided against the 980ti; it's just too hot for high overclocking. Ironically the Fury I picked up instead ended up being in the bottom 5% of chips. What is your speed at 50%? It's the speed that matters more than the percentage.

ASUS is just not a very good brand temp wise. I would always suggest EVGA or MSI. Just as good/better performance at lower temps. I would highly advise against ASUS on both nVidia and AMD.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

ASUS is just not a very good brand temp wise. I would always suggest EVGA or MSI. Just as good/better performance at lower temps. I would highly advise against ASUS on both nVidia and AMD.

MSI 6G Gaming is one of the hottest I've seen for the 980ti. The Lightning is definitely where it's at from MSI.

Hey guys...

been messing around for a few days now improving airflow in my case and adjusting fan speed for better temps/noise ratio etc.

i'm wondering if any of you have a 980ti strix or similar and what kind of temps are you getting on air on these and what kind of fan speed is required to achieve those temps. (in short i'm wondering if my temps are fine/normal and if i should remove the cooler and re-apply the paste on my GPU.

I have 3 intake fans at moderate speed (50-60%) and 1 rear exaust fan+ 240mm aio at the top also running around 50-60% fan speed when under gaming load...and my GPU is running at around 78c with 50% fan speed...it's in the basement so it's a somewhat cool room...ambient temp is around 23c.

i would like better temps but i'm not willing to go above 50% fanspeed on the card since it get loud.

so, what kind of temps is ''normal'' on these?

What is the max for a 980ti?

what should i do? is it ok?

thanks, help appreciated!

I had had 2 STRIX cards and they run hotter than any other 980 TI ive tried. IMO its the shittiest cooler for a 980 TI

MSI 6G Gaming is one of the hottest I've seen for the 980ti. The Lightning is definitely where it's at from MSI.

I don't know where you're looking but here's some sources.

72 - http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gaming-oc-review,9.html

74 -https://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Ti_Gaming/34.html

It's all predicated on setup, ambient temps and fan speed amongst others. It's one of the quietest so you can run high RPM for low temps.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I wouldn't worry about it. You said the card's overclocked so that'll add extra heat. IMHO: unless it's throttling because it hit 95C, don't worry about it.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

72 - http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gaming-oc-review,9.html

It's all predicated on setup, ambient temps and fan speed amongst others. It's one of the quietest so you can run high RPM for low temps.

I don't trust reviewers like that as I believe they are sent prime examples that do not reflect the consumers experience. If you visit OCN and the appropriate MSI thread you'll see many with average airflow at 80°C, sometimes with high fan speeds. While OCN generally houses people with unrealistic expectations, it's not just on OCN where I've seen folks disappointed. Users all over the web I've spoken to have noted disappointing temperatures. The most recent post when you search "80°C" in the MSI 6G thread on OCN is posted below, with a few other experiences as well. There is a video on YouTube of someone very disappointed, but I could be mistaken.

Guys ive just bought the card today after sending my strix 980ti back. The asic is only 68.7% with this msi, im planning on watercooling to, which after using this card today is ideal because this card was hitting 80oc running bf4, with the fans at 60%. Is this normal or should i be worried in any way?

60% fan speed is not that loud on the MSI as their highest fan speeds are nowhere near that of the Strix or G1 Gaming. But the fans are quite large and it does produce noise, obviously. Many have ended up installing a G10, especially as it fits without any modifications.

Here are a few more examples:

My 980ti goes to 90-100% fan speed on BF4 overclocked. I have the fan curve set to go to 100% when hitting 80C so... I'm using a NZXT phantom and I installed the intake fan to the case.

like I posted before. my case is a fractal design r4. no fan in side but left grill open, 2x140mm intake front, 2x140mm outtzke top, 1x140mm out back. Mugen 2 cooler for cpu. When using auto profile, under load card gets to about 82°c with fans at about 75 percent. Noise apart, this cannot be called cool right? Like I said very good airflow, I feel cool air going into the case and very hot air blowing out especially at top. Still the msi gets easily to plus 80c. And with the case closed, the msi is by far the loudest of my pc including all casefans.

These cards run freaking hot man. I have them in SLI and my top card hits thermal throttle at 91C. Not very thrilled. My dual 980s 970s 280x 290x 780s Titans 770s 760s never saw over 80C. Guess they need the NZXT G10 setup.

There are many more cases such as those.

Whilst I cannot corroborate its legitimacy, one user noted that MSI sent reviewers cards with a different BIOS. If MSI sent models with a lowered TDP, for instance, temperatures will be lower. If MSI sent out the best overclockers (it takes 10 minutes to check) that don't need a crazy amount of power or voltages to hit the elusive 1500/8000Mhz, that might equate to what we saw from guys like Guru3D.

On another point, Guru3D's review of the ASUS Strix 980ti shows temperatures above 80°C. They give it a Top Pick award. That makes no sense to me. Other reviewers noted much lower temperatures from the same GPU. Again, doesn't make any sense beyond ambient temperature variables and airflow, something that should all be recorded and noted. This suggests the GM200 chip possesses too many variables to determine a definitive cooler. The only consistency seems to be the G1 Gaming. This is possibly due to Gigabyte's binning process and extremely efficient cooler.

@AngryGoldfish

Again, I just think its a case-by-case basis. I am quite sure you could cherry pick good/bad results for each and every card out there. I'm sure I could dig up dirt on Gigabyte, ASUS, EVGA, Zotac and every brand there is. I don't think its universal. Just because some people on some forums complain about heat shouldn't translate to a blanket statement for each card as a whole. Each card has strengths/weaknesses. Its not fair to single out MSI and say that too many of their cards are hot when I could bring up just as many for the other brands. If people are complaining of high temperatures on an enthusiast card, then the only option is water.

thanks for all your help guys, i think i'll try to replace the paste later on and see if that help...i feel the card cooler might not make good enough contact with the GPU is what i feel.

EDIT: wow there is a sticker on one of the 4 screw around the GPU so i cant even pull the cooler off the card BUT i was able with a small screw driver to re-tighten 3 of those 4 screws a little bit and 2 others on the back plate and now the temps max out at 75c under same conditions of testing so it's a little better..3c better...that lead me to believe that they screwed the TIM and a full reapply would probably help a fair bit.

snip!

indeed the 980ti a freaking hot beast...compared to my GTX 780 this thing is a monster both in performance AND heat... :(

@AngryGoldfish

Again, I just think its a case-by-case basis. I am quite sure you could cherry pick good/bad results for each and every card out there. I'm sure I could dig up dirt on Gigabyte, ASUS, EVGA, Zotac and every brand there is. I don't think its universal. Just because some people on some forums complain about heat shouldn't translate to a blanket statement for each card as a whole. Each card has strengths/weaknesses. Its not fair to single out MSI and say that too many of their cards are hot when I could bring up just as many for the other brands. If people are complaining of high temperatures on an enthusiast card, then the only option is water.

Not to be that 'he said; she said' guy, but I originally replied to this comment...

...which is by definition a blanket statement about brands.

Again, using two media reviews as examples you're saying the MSI is one of the quietest. Whilst it is entirely true that many are experiencing solid temperatures with their MSI 6G Gaming, and I did cherry pick the worst, it was to bring to attention to the variables within the GM200 chip and not just the inadequacies of certain coolers. That was my point. This is why I brought about the point of there being no discernible winner besides the G1 Gaming, and even that has a few dodgy cases. You made a blanket statement and I disagreed. I have seen too many disappointed MSI 6G users to recommend that card for an enthusiast. I also would struggle to recommend the Strix. You can find poor examples with every card out there, absolutely, but realistically I've seen more poor MSI's than EVGA's or Gigabytes. This is my objective opinion. Initially I was set to purchase the MSI based on those two reviews, but I'm glad I didn't. It seems there is a temperature lottery as well as for overclocking performance.

It depends on what your definition of normal temperatures are - where I live 23c is not considered cold. Like at all.

My spare room is typically smallish (where this rig is housed) and temperatures typically sit between 23-29c because it has no airflow. It gets warm in here and the case temp is always higher than room ambient.

These are the sorts of gpu temps I get whilst playing normal games (iirc in this case it was tabbing out from FFXIV) 1440P at max settings. The card tends to run at 144x MHz off the stock settings so the clock speed isn't some low gibberish.

Because the GM 200 has high headroom for overclocks bear in mind temps increase accordingly. Once you push the clocks into the late 1400s and early 1500s expect spikes - this is after all around 40-50% clockspeed increase over the reference spec, depending on what you hit.

Both my Strix TI have similar temps so I would guess your case airflow isn't good enough if you're getting to 78c.

post-197662-0-78413100-1447697131_thumb.