HD7870 black screen after installing driver (help)

sci.fi.man
Go to solution Solved by Oberon.Smite,

the GPU has only one BIOS, maybe a BIOS update can solve the problem?

You can try to do a number of things, but I'd test it in another system so you don't end up wasting your time at first.

So i own Saphire HD7870 since almost 3 years ago. Everything is run smoothly until one day when playing Cities:Skyline, the game crashed and leaves some artifacts. I tried restart the windows, and it stuck on blackscreen after windows booting. Reinstalling drivers and windows, and still no luck. Screen goes black after installing the driver. Since this card is no longer under warranty, any idea how to fix this? thanks :)

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

Looks like your GPU might be dead, test it in another system, and if it has a dual BIOS, make sure to switch it to the backup one. If it doesn't work, looks like your GPU is a goner.

Looks like your GPU might be dead, test it in another system, and if it has a dual BIOS, make sure to switch it to the backup one. If it doesn't work, looks like your GPU is a goner.

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

You can try to do a number of things, but I'd test it in another system so you don't end up wasting your time at first.

after wash it with water and brush it with toothbrush (yes, water. electronic's best enemy), dry it for 2 days on side of exhaust fan, and try install a 13.1 amd catalyst, now works smoothly. i tried kombustor and it's just fine. i'll update after trying to update the driver to 15.7.

Update: it crashed again after 5 hours of gaming. looks like pretty much a hardware failure.