Mic. Recommendation

gozzygozborn

I play a lot of csgo and my current audio setup is HD558s and a zalman clip on mic. people have been complaining that my mic is poor quality and has a lot of static so I was wondering if someone had a recommendation on a new mic to use with my HD558s.

ModMic is the best for ones attached to the headphones.

otherwise Blue Snowball for something that sits on your desk.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

If you wish to keep a similar setup, Modmic. 

http://www.modmic.com/ 

How is the quality on the modmic? Will the adhesive on the modmic attach to the fabric on the side of the HD558 alright? I am worried that I would have to speak very loud for the snowball, would this be an issue?

(comparison at 5:18)

Based on those audio comparisons, the frequency response graphs for the Samson Meteor and Blue Snowball and the fact that the Samson Meteor has a single 25mm large diaphragm with an extended low frequency response suitable for male vocals while the Blue Snowball has two 15mm medium diaphragms, which generally have less bass response and are more suitable for instruments, I think the Samson Meteor is better than the Blue Snowball for your setup. I own the Samson Meteor and I've had no complaints. You could be three feet away from it, speak at normal volume, and have it pick up your voice well, but you'll have to crank it up to 90% volume. At that distance, keyboard/mouse sounds will easily be picked up, although they'll be around half as loud as your voice depending on your setup. 

Edit: I don't know anything about the Modmic, but I imagine that the Modmic would be better for your setup because it won't pick up keyboard/mouse noise as easily. 

Edited by Raymondbl

How is the quality on the modmic? Will the adhesive on the modmic attach to the fabric on the side of the HD558 alright? I am worried that I would have to speak very loud for the snowball, would this be an issue?

I have (or maybe had, can't seem to find it) an older version of the Mod Mic, the 2.3 and it's good. tiny bit of hissing when you boost the audio high, but I didn't need to turn it up high enough for it to be audible for friends over skype, ts3 and such. What do you mean "stick to the fabric side", you're supposed to mount the tiny magnet on the outside of the headphones, not on the pads. It will stick very nicely, I have a thingie on two of my headphones, one open pair and one closed, even on the metal grille of the open set, it sticks like a motherf***** 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I have (or maybe had, can't seem to find it) an older version of the Mod Mic, the 2.3 and it's good. tiny bit of hissing when you boost the audio high, but I didn't need to turn it up high enough for it to be audible for friends over skype, ts3 and such. What do you mean "stick to the fabric side", you're supposed to mount the tiny magnet on the outside of the headphones, not on the pads. It will stick very nicely, I have a thingie on two of my headphones, one open pair and one closed, even on the metal grille of the open set, it sticks like a motherf***** 

Thats the thing, the HD558s are open headphones with fabric on the outside where most open headphones have the metal mesh.

Thats the thing, the HD558s are open headphones with fabric on the outside where most open headphones have the metal mesh.

Stick it somewhere there isn't fabric then? You can bend the modmic 4.0 a whole lot so that shouldn't be an issue. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I play a lot of csgo and my current audio setup is HD558s and a zalman clip on mic. people have been complaining that my mic is poor quality and has a lot of static so I was wondering if someone had a recommendation on a new mic to use with my HD558s.

A friend of mine has the Zalman MIC-1 as you but he has no static. I guess that you are using the "mic boost" feature activated and that causes a lot of white noise.

Disable it and check if the volume is high enough.

If not, you can buy a cheap 3 dollar USB sound card on eBay and it will give a high volume on your mic without adding much/any noise.

I had the same issue as yours but with ModMic 4 and I solved it this way ;)

PS: Obviously use the cheapo card just for the mic, it is absolutely trash for headphones.