Find results in...
ONOTech

Rosewill Neutron Review - $39.99 mITX Case

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Rosewill Neutron Review

Pricing (US): http://goo.gl/VnsLbK
Pricing (UK): N/A
Pricing (CA): http://goo.gl/iROhY2

I decided to venture into the mini ITX world since it has become more affordable lately. I also wanted a smaller form factor in order to take my computer to college with me next semester, especially since my other case (Rosewill ARMOR-EVO - an E-ATX case) was way too big for proper traveling. I also needed one that supported a full length graphics card. I decided upon the $40 Rosewill Neutron. I've had this case for about 2 weeks now and I can give you guys a good insight on the case. I have a video review as well as a text-based review. Enjoy!

Video Review

Text Review

The first thing you notice about the Neutron is its size. It is a lot bigger than other mini ITX cases (actually weighs 24 lbs) and rivals mini/mid towers in size. Unfortunately, it only supports mITX motherboards despite its large frame. I'm guessing Rosewill did this to segue people into the mini ITX world easily because smaller chassis can be difficult to work with. Just remember that you are sacrificing some portability for a bigger size.

f7d9ab8fecb5df31b07ede1ce43cf5c2.png

Specifications

Color: Black

Case Material: Steel

Motherboard Compatibility: mini ITX

Bays: Up to 3 3.5" and/or 2.5" Storage Devices. Optical Drive Bay

Front Panel Ports: 2 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0

Cooling: Up to 6 fans, 120mm & 140mm support. 3x140mm pre-installed

Dimensions: 15.4" X 9.9" X 15.8"

Weight: 24 lbs

Max GPU Length: 13.3" (full length GPUs)

Design/Outside

The case itself has a very sleek and simplistic design. It comes off as very clean and looks even better with the front LED fans installed. The front of the case is a removable dust filter that is slightly magnetic and has a very satisfying click to it when you slip it back on (trust me, you'll love it). After opening the front, you are greeted with 2x140mm LED fans. They move air well, but they are pretty dang loud. I have a sound test in my video if you are interested around the 1:40 mark. A bad thing about these fans is that they are hard to uninstall - part of the case blocks one of the screw ports, so you will need a lot of time and patience to get these things out unfortunately.

97d5f9d0c2f58b67959c2f41a8586d44.png

The front IO ports work fine, but they are very "sticky." There is no fluid motion when plugging in and plugging out a device. It's a "yanking" motion, and sometimes I feel like I'm doing to break one of the ports whenever I plug something in our take it out. Be aware of that.

37ae0d60bdb8abd6c39456ad34bf486b.png

The top of the case has another honeycomb mesh design and supports 2x120/140mm fans. It officially supports up to a 240mm radiator, but I believe you can also fit a 280mm radiator in there as well. You may need to tweak the case a bit though.

The back of the case has 2 GPU slots for your graphics card (meaning that if you have a tri-slot card, it won't fit). The power supply sits sideways in order to maximize space and you also have an option for a 120mm fan on the bottom right of the case. The spot for the fan is in a very awkward position so installing it won't be easy. A 140mm fan is pre-installed at the top. This is also where I put my radiator for my water cooler.

438dc511e7a57db37ac49e735ae89278.png

The left of the case has a VERY strong magnetic dust filter for the power supply - I had trouble removing this at first. On the right of the case is a small window that shows off that full length GPU (hoorah!!!). It's one of those "make your dick feel bigger" type things that I like about this case. The window itself is made of plastic so it does not really keep finger prints, but it can be a dust magnet.

f7967aa5e7c3df8b0498c7887e5dec1c.png

Inside

Most of the case has removable items, and you will need to remove a lot of things (and install parts in a certain order) in order to complete your build. For me it was more trial and error before I figured it out, but I will let you know now how I think you should install your items in this case:

ALL Fans, water cooler radiator, power supply, hard drives, motherboard w/ everything BUT the GPU, front panel headers, GPU

Make sure you install the graphics card last or you will find yourself pulling out your hair. Anyway, I somewhat digress.

The motherboard tray is right side up & removable (oh gee, what a shocker), which I like. I think that should be industry standard in smaller cases because it simplifies installation. No low profile coolers are needed since you have a lot of clearance in this case. The tray itself has rubber grommets for cables, but it is a bit trolly on Rosewill's part. The bigger grommets work just fine, but the smaller ones are often blocked by the GPU and blocked by the hard drive bay below it, so it is almost useless at times. Why Rosewill designed it like this? The world will never know, but makes cable management harder (and it is already bad)...

8cb80336ea0738c8bf63f89dd0703262.png

The hard drive bay works fine. You will need to remove it in order to install your storage devices because the 140mm fans are in the way. It uses lockless screws for easy installation. The bay itself is right in front of the fan at the back, so make sure you install that fan before installing the actual bay.

Cable Management

One word to describe cable management: mediocre. You have so much space in this case (you really do - I have a water cooler, a full length graphics card, and 3 fans installed and I still have a lot of room left), yet there is absolutely no where to put your cables. Zip ties and twist ties will only get you so far. You're going to have to dump them somewhere because it is not doable.

Conclusion

The Rosewill Neutron is definitely a solid case for what it offers. At the price of $39.99, it is more than worth it. It has the air flow, space, and features that make it a great buy. Although this is true, there are a few design flaws here and there that can get to some people. Regardless, for under $60, it is a solid case. For more than that, I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Final Score: 7/10

:)

Edited by ONOTech
Removed video.
Posted · Original PosterOP

How strong is the material? Does it ding/flex easily?

Pretty rigid as far as I'm concerned (almost too rigid lol). The magnetic dust filters may flex, but that's expected honestly.

Pretty rigid as far as I'm concerned (almost too rigid lol). The magnetic dust filters may flex, but that's expected honestly.

Okay, as long as it's strong I'll think about getting it to replace my Tesseract SW. Thanks, and good review!

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

Okay, as long as it's strong I'll think about getting it to replace my Tesseract SW. Thanks, and good review!

Go for it! The Neutron will transition you well into the mini ITX world.

The Tesseract is also a great case btw, but I'm also a bit of a Deepcool fanboy lol.

Good video review.  :)

One thing... it's Rosewill... ROSE-WILL damnit! :P

Grazi! And yeah, I kinda realized that after making the video. My Nigerian roots sorta sprang up when filming and took over my pronounciation :P

It also doesn't help that there is a city called "Roswell" about 15 minutes away from me. I'm so used to saying that. Lol

Grazi! And yeah, I kinda realized that after making the video. My Nigerian roots sorta sprang up when filming and took over my pronounciation :P

I thought it was a Freudian slip, alien conspiracy thing... probes and stuff.  :ph34r:

It was not bad, I am just teasing a bit... again, really good work. :)

I thought it was a Freudian slip, alien conspiracy thing... probes and stuff.  :ph34r:

Oh no, you'll know when I have a Freudian slip..as far as my conspiracy? Rosewill is working with the government. They're inserting small, high power, cameras into their front case fans in order to watch us. That's why they're so loud.

#TheMoreYouKnow

I have removed your video due to it being in violation with our Code of Conduct, specifically 4.2 which deals with Advertising.

4.2 Advertising
Any sort of advertisement on Linus Tech Tips that has little or no relation to Linus Media Group, or is not affiliated with Linus Media Group in any way will be considered spam and removed from the boards. This also pertains to signatures and/or profile information.

This includes but is not limited to doing a giveaway on the forums while linking/referring to outside accounts(YouTube, Facebook, etc.) in any way shape or form.

In addition to advertising, you may not sell any item via the forums other then through the Classifieds section nor advertise links to third party personal sale sites (eBay, Kijiji, etc.) where you might be selling your item. 

Links in the Hot Deals section to items being sold directly by the manufacturer or distributor, such as Razor, Dell, Amazon, Best Buy, etc., are allowed, but only in this section.

Unfortunately no fundraisers or charities - Some may be okay, please contact member 'Slick' through a personal message if you have questions

Thread is remaining unlocked because it has an actual text review.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

I have removed your video due to it being in violation with our Code of Conduct, specifically 4.2 which deals with Advertising.

Thread is remaining unlocked because it has an actual text review.

Why is it considered advertising though? It's an actual review - just in video form. I'm not advertising anything

Why is it considered advertising though? It's an actual review - just in video form. I'm not advertising anything

Your channel is being advertised, even if you didn't intend it that way.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Your channel is being advertised, even if you didn't intend it that way.

Of course

But if you look at it that way, I am also inherently advertising Rosewill by uploading the textual review, meaning that the this review itself is an advertisement. There are ton of other reviews with videos on them as well & many of the reviews in Tech News and Reviews are video reviews. If mine gets taken down, those should too.

I believe video reviews are fine if there is a text review to follow it. I purposely put the text review so my video wouldn't get taken down

This just opens a whole new can of worms IMO :|